Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #3,646 of 5,248

They install the same way Alpha's do...................and the stock pads.  Very simple once you figure out how to get the white mounting ring off. 

Yes, I know how they install, I'm referring to the fact that the thickness is not uniform, so you can rotate the pad to different degrees (like thickest part at back of ear, under ear, etc) which is what I was saying before. This rotation effects the sound, because it determines the position of the cup on the ear and the distance the driver sits from the ear.

May 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3,647 of 5,248
Yes, I know how they install, I'm referring to the fact that the thickness is not uniform, so you can rotate the pad to different degrees (like thickest part at back of ear, under ear, etc) which is what I was saying before. This rotation effects the sound, because it determines the position of the cup on the ear and the distance the driver sits from the ear.

Sorry bud. I rotate them to help with seal and fit. It's like you can tune the sound a little.

May 7, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #3,649 of 5,248
So, I bought a pair of D2000s and they've arrived. They're sounding a little treble-happy to me though and I want to tame this treble as well as bring the mids forward some. How do I go about this?

May 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #3,650 of 5,248
  So, I bought a pair of D2000s and they've arrived. They're sounding a little treble-happy to me though and I want to tame this treble as well as bring the mids forward some. How do I go about this?

Because yours has Alpha Pads like mine, I would suggest playing with their rotation to get the best seal, if you read some of the posts I wrote yesterday. If they aren't angled exact, they might be more treble happy than desired. Treble is still very present. It's not a dark headphone by any means. I agree, I'd still prefer a little less treble overall. I don't understand why people call it a warm headphone.

You might also try wearing the padding down a bit, if the pads are new. Press down on them when on your head for a little, try to make them a little less thick. If the drivers are very far from the ear, you hear more treble. If, while listening, you push the cups down closer to your ears, you should notice less treble and more of the other stuff. A lot had to do with the distance drivers are from the ear, and Alphas can be a bit thick, making the drivers sit a bit too far from the ear. I push them down 5-10 seconds each time I put them on, seems to help.

May 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #3,651 of 5,248
Yea I have read your posts; I was just wondering what other options I had apart from rotating the pads or wearing down the padding.

May 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #3,652 of 5,248
Yea I have read your posts; I was just wondering what other options I had apart from rotating the pads or wearing down the padding.

I'd be interested in anyone else's suggestions too, but I don't see what else you could do. Maybe wood cups or lawton pads, but they're both expensive and I don't know if the LA pads are any better.

May 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #3,653 of 5,248

I'd be interested in anyone else's suggestions too, but I don't see what else you could do. Maybe wood cups or lawton pads, but they're both expensive and I don't know if the LA pads are any better.

I have considered putting felt or foam over the driver too but that might have detrimental and unforeseen effects.

May 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #3,654 of 5,248

I just bought a pair of what is called "Denon replacement pads" off ebay for $38 that are so close to Lawton Angle pads in foam density that I'm quite impressed. 

Link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349307920

May 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #3,655 of 5,248

I like it angled to where the line on the alpha pads (where my finger points to) is exactly midway between the circular silver bolt and the bottom where the cord hangs out. Rotate the pads till you can get them into that position.

Try that, and see if treble improves to your ears. I think it will. Soundstage is also better. Make sure all 4 white tips are tightly screwed into the assembly, or sound suffers.

May 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #3,656 of 5,248

I like it angled to where the line on the alpha pads (where my finger points to) is exactly midway between the circular silver bolt and the bottom where the cord hangs out. Rotate the pads till you can get them into that position.

Try that, and see if treble improves to your ears. I think it will. Soundstage is also better. Make sure all 4 white tips are tightly screwed into the assembly, or sound suffers.

I angled them a bit less than that. The distance from the strain relief to the horizontal stitch is about twice that of the distance from the place where the yoke attaches to the cup and the stitch.
I also put a circle of Arctic Cotton felt sent to me by Nick N in front of the driver.
Those two simple mods helped reduce the treble to a manageable (for me) level.

May 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,658 of 5,248
Nice :D

I have to say the reason ppl call these a warm headphone is due to the bass response. It's got a pretty linear bass curve or rather an un modded can has a bit of a mid bass hump which leads often to some extra warmth in the low mids or the reisidual decay from the bass gives it a warm ish response, but fully modded these are on the bright side [which I like bright headphones so lucky me] still different pads offer different sound, although the LA Pads... are more angled than the Alphas? Like a LOT more, just looking at the LA pads you can notice how steep they are... 

May 7, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #3,659 of 5,248

Nice, I adjusted the pads to match yours, and I think I like it more than I had it before! Thanks!
Also, I'll have to try that cotton mod. You find it helps tame some treble tizz?

Glad to help the community
biggrin.gif

Apparently so, as I didn't hear nearly the amount of sharp treble that I was hearing before the mods. 

Nice :D

I have to say the reason ppl call these a warm headphone is due to the bass response. It's got a pretty linear bass curve or rather an un modded can has a bit of a mid bass hump which leads often to some extra warmth in the low mids or the reisidual decay from the bass gives it a warm ish response, but fully modded these are on the bright side [which I like bright headphones so lucky me] still different pads offer different sound, although the LA Pads... are more angled than the Alphas? Like a LOT more, just looking at the LA pads you can notice how steep they are... 

Thanks!
So this is the final piece of advice that makes me want to forgo the MarkL mod entirely as I like dark, not bright. No experience on the LA pads however.

May 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,660 of 5,248
  Glad to help the community
biggrin.gif

Apparently so, as I didn't hear nearly the amount of sharp treble that I was hearing before the mods. 

Thanks!
So this is the final piece of advice that makes me want to forgo the MarkL mod entirely as I like dark, not bright. No experience on the LA pads however.

the headphone doesnt get bright, the bass get's more defined, better control and depth. But you could enjoy the extra tid bits of the warmth added buy the rather sluggish stock decay 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back