Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
May 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #3,661 of 5,248
  the headphone doesnt get bright, the bass get's more defined, better control and depth. But you could enjoy the extra tid bits of the warmth added buy the rather sluggish stock decay 

I'm slightly confused now. So the only thing that happens is the bass becomes of higher quality, right?

May 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,662 of 5,248
  I'm slightly confused now. So the only thing that happens is the bass becomes of higher quality, right?

yea, the bass in general get's quicker, a faster dynamic shift, more details, and less decay. Decay is the residual sound from the attack, which resonnance contributes to, so dampening the driver and cups will remove some of the decay in the bass, which will remove some of the "warmth" 

seeing as the D2ks mids are on the drier side, so long story short if you like it as it is you might want to keep it that way. The Mods and Pads remove a lot of the bass decay that makes it sound "warm" 

May 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #3,663 of 5,248
  yea, the bass in general get's quicker, a faster dynamic shift, more details, and less decay. Decay is the residual sound from the attack, which resonnance contributes to, so dampening the driver and cups will remove some of the decay in the bass, which will remove some of the "warmth" 

seeing as the D2ks mids are on the drier side, so long story short if you like it as it is you might want to keep it that way. The Mods and Pads remove a lot of the bass decay that makes it sound "warm" 

Right, thanks for the information then. Definitely will be keeping it the way it is then as I enjoy the apparent warmth it has currently.

May 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3,664 of 5,248
I hate to be this guy BUT you might REALLY like the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs, bass response is on par with the D2k [and they have Alpha Pads as well lol] 

May 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3,665 of 5,248
  the headphone doesnt get bright, the bass get's more defined, better control and depth. But you could enjoy the extra tid bits of the warmth added buy the rather sluggish stock decay 

What he said.  It tightens up the bass big time.................

May 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #3,666 of 5,248
  I hate to be this guy BUT you might REALLY like the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs, bass response is on par with the D2k [and they have Alpha Pads as well lol] 

Haha, don't worry about it man. I have considered the MDs but when I saw the price the D2k was at (GBP76.4!?!!!?!!???!?!!!!, the one offered by jellofund) I couldn't resist and had to pull the trigger on them 
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #3,667 of 5,248
  Haha, don't worry about it man. I have considered the MDs but when I saw the price the D2k was at (GBP76.4!?!!!?!!???!?!!!!, the one offered by jellofund) I couldn't resist and had to pull the trigger on them 
biggrin.gif

wait... you paid like 76 POUNDS for it... wow that is pretty irresitable! 

May 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3,668 of 5,248
  wait... you paid like 76 POUNDS for it... wow that is pretty irresitable! 

I got very lucky! When I saw the price I stopped thinking properly as the only thing going through my mind was 'holy crap that is a good deal' 
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #3,669 of 5,248
  I got very lucky! When I saw the price I stopped thinking properly as the only thing going through my mind was 'holy crap that is a good deal' 
rolleyes.gif

THAT IS A CRAZY deal, you sure no one died wearing those xD 

May 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #3,670 of 5,248
  THAT IS A CRAZY deal, you sure no one died wearing those xD 

I sure hope jellofund hasn't done anything to enable him to sell those at a good price!

Btw, Jazz Audiophile Voices sounded amazing with these headphones...until I heard the click of my MICRO running out of battery 
frown.gif

May 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #3,671 of 5,248
  I sure hope jellofund hasn't done anything to enable him to sell those at a good price!

Btw, Jazz Audiophile Voices sounded amazing with these headphones...until I heard the click of my MICRO running out of battery 
frown.gif

Jazz Audiophile Voices... is that a band? 

May 7, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #3,672 of 5,248
May 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #3,673 of 5,248

ooooh very cool thank you for sharing it :D

actually I'll mention this, I didn't like Metal on the D2K until I got mine modded, and even with the Drive Dampenings, wood Cups and the Lawton Pads I only like Metal on the D2k out of my NFB10ES2, so the mods really quicken the D2k up, I was going to recommend you some Jazz Infused Metal that I'm enjoying, but then I remember your listening with a stock pair, most likely out of a some what warm source, my HM801 in ALL it's GLORY is too slow for metal, it lacks the tactical edge to the mids that the NFB10ES2 has, and my modded W1000x gives everything a tatcile edge lol, it's a very edgy headphone, but it sounds wonderful with the warm hm801

anyways, nice album!

If you like metal Give T.R.A.M a try, it's a nice Jazz Infused Metal Album! 

May 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,674 of 5,248
biggrin.gif

So YOU"RE the one that nabbed that deal! I must have messaged right after you. Damn!

May 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #3,675 of 5,248
  ooooh very cool thank you for sharing it :D

actually I'll mention this, I didn't like Metal on the D2K until I got mine modded, and even with the Drive Dampenings, wood Cups and the Lawton Pads I only like Metal on the D2k out of my NFB10ES2, so the mods really quicken the D2k up, I was going to recommend you some Jazz Infused Metal that I'm enjoying, but then I remember your listening with a stock pair, most likely out of a some what warm source, my HM801 in ALL it's GLORY is too slow for metal, it lacks the tactical edge to the mids that the NFB10ES2 has, and my modded W1000x gives everything a tatcile edge lol, it's a very edgy headphone, but it sounds wonderful with the warm hm801

anyways, nice album!

If you like metal Give T.R.A.M a try, it's a nice Jazz Infused Metal Album! 

Welcome 
wink.gif

I don't listen to any metal, sorry. On the good side, there's no problems here for me with regards to the D2k's speed. I mostly listen to instrumentals, EDM, vocal jazz, rock, classic pop and other random stuff like game and anime OSTs. I listen only out of the DX50 > 627 MICRO for everything which I think is a neutral to warm-ish combination though imo it sounds good with most any pair of headphones. I know the D2k is not the most ideal pair of cans for my intended purpose which is good all-rounded (to me, with my favourite sound signature being darker than most people's) comfy general-purpose pair of desktop headphones but so far it's working out pretty well. I'm now thinking of either selling my Q40s or swapping it with the HD25 ALU I loaned to my dad as its been overshadowed by the D2k, but I know he won't be too happy about that.

Here's another recommendation, and it's the kind of music that I most enjoy listening to nowadays (strange for a 16-year-old high-school student
tongue.gif
 ):

Contains a few vocals but it's mostly instrumentals (piano, flute, violin, viola, double bass, etc). An absolutely beautiful set of songs imo. The D2k renders it amazingly and it's not too complicated either.

So YOU"RE the one that nabbed that deal! I must have messaged right after you. Damn!

Sorry about that; simple case of good and bad luck respectively I guess 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back