Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions? - Page 8

post #106 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
Good Land!! Are they nuts or something!!
Yeah, I just told the guy working there that it would be cheaper to just buy a new one if it cost that much

I do think the usual Post is cheaper, though it might be slow as ****

Well I´ll have to hope for it to go smoothly and get there quick. Because I´m feeling some serious addiction right now

Btw Penchum, would be awfully nice of you if you could do somekind of writeup about the Mk4SE vs. Mk5
post #107 of 168
Did you open it up to see if you didn't blow a fuse or a wire broken off. Would be saving you lots of time and effort sending it back.
post #108 of 168
Pretty sure there´s something seriously wrong with it, not just a wire or fuse. Will be sending it back and see what David says was wrong with it.

Think I´ll go for the Mk5, seeing as the reliability part is quite a big argument for me. I would probably just mess the next tube amp up, knowing my usual luck

But I just can´t seem to give up that romantic glow of the tubes
post #109 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Yeah, I just told the guy working there that it would be cheaper to just buy a new one if it cost that much

I do think the usual Post is cheaper, though it might be slow as ****

Well I´ll have to hope for it to go smoothly and get there quick. Because I´m feeling some serious addiction right now

Btw Penchum, would be awfully nice of you if you could do somekind of writeup about the Mk4SE vs. Mk5
I have to admit, a review on those two would be a fun challenge. I'm just so buried right now, plus my disabilities have been terrible for the last few weeks and that brings things almost to a stand still.
post #110 of 168
Got this from David himself.

Quote:
Hello Giorgio,

I do think both will be plenty loud with a line-level signal feeding them, but you are right the Little Dot MK IV will have higher output power at the same 250 ohm impedance.

The Little Dot MK IV SE will definitely have excellent treble, arguably "sweeter" sounding than the MK V, however the MK V will have tighter and more detailed bass by just a smidgen.

You really can't go wrong with either. The Little Dot MK V will present your music with great punch, impact, and neutrality but the Little Dot MK IV SE will make your music (whether dance or classical) sound more "pleasing" than than it actually is, if that makes sense.

Best Regards,
David

Well I am this close to taking back all my words and hitting the button on the MK V for the second time now! I figure at $350.00 how can I go wrong?
post #111 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
I have to admit, a review on those two would be a fun challenge. I'm just so buried right now, plus my disabilities have been terrible for the last few weeks and that brings things almost to a stand still.
Yes! got you now, all you need to do now is some testing, testing and then the long writeup

No seriously, not gonna push you to do it or anything. But it would be great seeing as I´m currently standing on a razors edge trying to figure out which way to go.

gdl357, DO IT! Then write a long review ASAP!

Btw, interesting answer you got from David there gdl357. Actually got me more interested in the Mk4 again, as I didn´t find the bass "loose" or badly detailed.
post #112 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Yes! got you now, all you need to do now is some testing, testing and then the long writeup

No seriously, not gonna push you to do it or anything. But it would be great seeing as I´m currently standing on a razors edge trying to figure out which way to go.

gdl357, DO IT! Then write a long review ASAP!
The only thing that is stopping me from getting the MK V right now is knowing that the MK IV SE will be louder. BUT, then again, if it will be lush, then I much rather go with the MK V. I really won't like smooth like butter Dance music...

What do you think?
post #113 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl357 View Post
The only thing that is stopping me from getting the MK V right now is knowing that the MK IV SE will be louder. BUT, then again, if it will be lush, then I much rather go with the MK V. I really won't like smooth like butter Dance music...

What do you think?
Actually when I recieved my Mk4 (note not SE), I really though "this doesn´t sound "tubey" at all. But now right in the end I really got that smooth tube sound from it and also alot more deep bass. Though I don´t know if that was from burn-in of the amp or my K701's, seeing as they both had just about the same amount of hours of use. Would suck if I got the Mk5 and thought it´s to bright and "honest" sounding, my main worry with it really.
post #114 of 168
David has 2 more questions to answer, spec wise. Then it will be showtime.
post #115 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Actually when I recieved my Mk4 (note not SE), I really though "this doesn´t sound "tubey" at all. But now right in the end I really got that smooth tube sound from it and also alot more deep bass. Though I don´t know if that was from burn-in of the amp or my K701's, seeing as they both had just about the same amount of hours of use. Would suck if I got the Mk5 and thought it´s to bright and "honest" sounding, my main worry with it really.
Smoothness, liquidy, and warmth are the main characteristics of many good tube amps; while bright, fast, and "neutral" sounding are the main characters of many good solid-state amp. Of course, that doesnt apply to all cases. But here, it is such case. And it's now up to your preference.
post #116 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguindude View Post
Smoothness, liquidy, and warmth are the main characteristics of many good tube amps; while bright, fast, and "neutral" sounding are the main characters of many good solid-state amp. Of course, that doesnt apply to all cases. But here, it is such case. And it's now up to your preference.
Oh dang! That might just have tipped the scale over to the Mk4 again. Why is it so hard to make a decition and stick with it.

As I see it right now it would be the Mk4* because: I know what I would get, and I know I really loved the sounds it was making with my K701's right at the end.

But then there´s the reliability part with the non tinkering required Mk5, and also the claimed synergy with the K701's.

Hmm as stated, really tough decition here.

*Might even pay David 100$ extra and get a Mk4SE.

*edit* Scratch that about tube replacements seeing as the latest spec. for the Mk4SE seems to be Power: 6H30PI (which me and my friend got on our ordinary Mk4's) Driver: M8100. So it won´t be hard to find replacements like with the Western Electric ones they used to have, which I did a search on eBay and found none.
post #117 of 168
Thx all...
post #118 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Oh dang! That might just have tipped the scale over to the Mk4 again. Why is it so hard to make a decition and stick with it.

As I see it right now it would be the Mk4* because: I know what I would get, and I know I really loved the sounds it was making with my K701's right at the end.

But then there´s the reliability part with the non tinkering required Mk5, and also the claimed synergy with the K701's.

Hmm as stated, really tough decition here.

*Might even pay David 100$ extra and get a Mk4SE.

*edit* Scratch that about tube replacements seeing as the latest spec. for the Mk4SE seems to be Power: 6H30PI (which me and my friend got on our ordinary Mk4's) Driver: M8100. So it won´t be hard to find replacements like with the Western Electric ones they used to have, which I did a search on eBay and found none.
Ok, hold the phone! Breath deep! Ahh! Here is what I know, and I have a message into DavidZ for additional clarification in case something has changed. The tubes listed as defaults on the MKIV & MKIVse spec sheet for the MKIVse, ARE IN ERROR. I have reported the error, but it hasn't been fixed yet. The MKIV (like the MKIII) has the EF92 + EF95 compatibility jumpers.

The MKIVse has a completely different motherboard and has NO jumpers. It uses E182CC, 5687, 7119 type power tubes and 408A, 6028 type driver tubes. The default tubes on the MKIVse are/were Mullard E182CC power and WE 408A driver tubes.

I"m not sure when the confusion started, but it is out there. In the beginning, there were a hand full of MKIVse's that had the MKIV motherboard in them. Only a few, like 5 units. After that (including mine) the motherboard was the correct one with no jumpers. I think the confusion started when it was believed the difference between the MKIV and the MKIVse was just tubes.

So, lets review for clarity's sake. MKIV Standard has jumpers, takes same tube compliment the MKIII does. The MKIVse has NO jumpers, takes a completely different tube set than the MKIV standard.

DavidZ's reply is exactly what I've seen him reply before to the question about MKIVse vs MKV. I asked too! If you order a MKIVse, it will have no jumpers and it will take the E182CC & 408A combination of tubes. It is hard to fault this combination. The sound is fantastic. They just don't have as many rolling choices as those models with the EF92 & EF95 switching capability.

Let me know if you need additional clarification. I hope this has helped some!
post #119 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl357 View Post
Well, as I thought, after getting this info, I have X'd the MK V.

From David


Other amps ie: Meier can output between 250mA - 500mA depending on model, which is much more than the MK V output. Low mA = weak uncontrolled bass.

This is important for me because I don't want to sell my amp if ever I get a headphone that's a current sponge. Might as well make the giant leap now and have peice of mind.

Sorry guys, but there is a reason why RSA HR-2 costs 3 times more. It can provide a whopping 1000mA (1Amp) of current on demand! Also it's hand built and made in USA and that is not far away if ever it becomes deffective. The MK V has 1 year warranty and the HR-2 has 3 years parts and labor.

The funny thing is the HR-2 is half the footprint size of the MK V because both units can be stacked, which I really like.

Something just tells me I will end up selling the MK V if I were to get it. That's why I'm out.

Thx all...
No problem. Indeed make the choice that suites you best! Thats what it's all about.
post #120 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
Ok, hold the phone! Breath deep! Ahh! Here is what I know, and I have a message into DavidZ for additional clarification in case something has changed. The tubes listed as defaults on the MKIV & MKIVse spec sheet for the MKIVse, ARE IN ERROR. I have reported the error, but it hasn't been fixed yet. The MKIV (like the MKIII) has the EF92 + EF95 compatibility jumpers.

The MKIVse has a completely different motherboard and has NO jumpers. It uses E182CC, 5687, 7119 type power tubes and 408A, 6028 type driver tubes. The default tubes on the MKIVse are/were Mullard E182CC power and WE 408A driver tubes.

I"m not sure when the confusion started, but it is out there. In the beginning, there were a hand full of MKIVse's that had the MKIV motherboard in them. Only a few, like 5 units. After that (including mine) the motherboard was the correct one with no jumpers. I think the confusion started when it was believed the difference between the MKIV and the MKIVse was just tubes.

So, lets review for clarity's sake. MKIV Standard has jumpers, takes same tube compliment the MKIII does. The MKIVse has NO jumpers, takes a completely different tube set than the MKIV standard.

DavidZ's reply is exactly what I've seen him reply before to the question about MKIVse vs MKV. I asked too! If you order a MKIVse, it will have no jumpers and it will take the E182CC & 408A combination of tubes. It is hard to fault this combination. The sound is fantastic. They just don't have as many rolling choices as those models with the EF92 & EF95 switching capability.

Let me know if you need additional clarification. I hope this has helped some!
Alright, so it still uses those tubes after all. Read somebody who ordered a Mk4SE recently and got 6H30Pi + M8100, this was on the Little Tube forum, and I think the date was sometime in december 2007.

I wasn´t thinking of replacing the tubes in it, just worried about spares when those will be needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions?