Zwan Album: Good Music, Bad...
Feb 19, 2003 at 2:06 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Not to belabor the point, but that meter is telling you when that particular component is going into distortion, yes? What "deck" are you refrering to? Presumably another component could be calibrated to have that same level still be well within it's "green", and not distort when fed the same signal could it not? What are you measuring and what are you measuring with? Are you measuring off ripped mp3s or from a tape of the CD, a version stored on your hard drive and put through a software program for measurement, the CD itself? Is there a computer sound card somewhere in the signal path on its way to measurement? Just curious, not being hostile.

That said, I STILL have not heard the album in question.

Mark

It's a cd/Md combo deck. I was listening directly to the cd, not the md. I think it only contibutes biggie's point to how loud the album is and the lack of peaks and troughs....their are none, its just loud from the opening beat to the last whirl of a guitar note. Pick it up, give it a listen, you'll understand. It's a pretty solid intro album from his new band, let's see what Billy and the gang have in store in the future.

Feb 19, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #32 of 40
Go see them in concert if you can, great dynamics live hehe. :p

Plus they have tons of awesome songs that didn't make the album.

Biggie.

Feb 19, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Go see them in concert if you can, great dynamics live hehe. :p

Plus they have tons of awesome songs that didn't make the album.

Biggie.

Yeah, i have a few boots from 2001 and 2002, didn't see a lot of those songs cut for the studio album. Hopefully they'll tour in NYC soon, i'd definitely like to see them.

Feb 23, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #34 of 40
I just posted how I "fixed" some of the cd's production problems on the Zwan boards. Here's the link:

http://zwan.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc...2&m=9896005242

You may not be able to get directly to it without an account. If not, search for the subject "How to "Fix" your Zwan CD" on the "Mary Star Of The Sea" message board. I was very happy with my results
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #35 of 40
I'm surprised that no one has posted this statement from Billy Corgan earlier...

MESSAGE FROM BILLY CORGAN
Hello from The Zwan!!!

We are playing for the first time in Tokyo, and as always, have been given a very warm reception by our great Japanese audience. Everyone in Zwan is doing well, and we look forward to getting to play the Mary Star album for everyone and anyone. Recently, some concerns have come to light regarding the 'sound' of the album, and there seems to be confusion about whether or not there is a problem, which is understandable in the warm 'digital' age. So from my mouth to your ear, here's the deal: We set out to make the loudest ****ing rock and roll album that was humanly possible. No detail was too small, and by that I mean that everything, and I mean everything on the album is distorted by yours truly. I became obsessed by the sound of the great mono albums of the sixties, whether it be Dusty Springfield, The Walker Brothers, The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, etc. and their compressed excitement. so if our album is blowing up your speakers or making your dog cry, I can't say I'm sorry, but I do apologize for any worries this may have caused. Mary Star of the Sea uses everything but the kitchen sink in the analog or digital domain to push the sound of Zwan past the blur into something that feels fresh and exciting, and most importantly, LOUD at any volume.

So crank it up, and sit back and enjoy what it sounds like for us on stage in the overdriven glory.

We love you!!!
....BC

BTW I like the album for the most part, but I know that they have some much better songs yet to be released because they played a bunch of them live. I hope that this time BC will go for a different sound next time...

Jun 18, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #37 of 40
How could Billy Corgan and the other producers possibly want the music to be as loud and distorted as possible? It's seems like they don't care one bit about how it sounds and just wants it to be loud.

Jun 22, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #40 of 40
I actually like bands that plays LOUD.

Andrew W K is another band that plays LOUD and in many ways is similar to Zwan in its attempt to use retro-styled sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back