Zune vs Cowan Iaudio x5 HELP!
May 15, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #47 of 68
I understand your point about buying the dap first......but im a gadget freek,and whether i need it or not,i just want an amp anyway...lol.
I like to have toys.
And id use it on my Sony Minidisc,or CD Discman anyway,so i might as well get it. Or id use it as a mini pre amp for my portable speaker system.

Thanks though,,it was good advice for people that arent psycho-shoppers like me
wink.gif

May 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #48 of 68
I love my Zune! Hardly ever use the ipod 5.5g anymore! The sound quality of the Zune is excellent.

May 15, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #49 of 68
Woah, thank god I got here in time!

Ok, someone earlier in the thread said the sound is nearly indistinguishable between the two devices. FALSE. The iAudio sounds NOTICABLY different from every other portable player I have heard (iPod(several generations), archos(several versions), creative(old jukebox and new micro), zune). So that means that I'm going to recommend the iAudio to you right? Not at all, my player is a zune even though I use linux. The different sound of the iAudio seems to me to be pure distortion that people that aren't intimate enough with their music mistake for being the best sound. I do not understand this. Every sound that goes through it comes out foggy and if you want to be energized by music in anyway, forget it. Same goes for trying to listen to classical through it: simply lifeless. I remember when I first threw out 250 for it, I sat back and plugged in all tense and waiting for an awesome experience. Moments later, I wanted to cry. I don't care what the "my toy" syndrome is making people think, do yourself a favor, get the zune. As much as the iaudio made me want to cry, the zune gave me audio nirvana back.

PhantmShado

May 15, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #50 of 68
OMG! Now that was convincing! Ive never heard anyone say the Iaudio sounded that bad though. Maybe it couldnt drive your high imp phones?
But ok,im leaning towards the Zune more and more though.
Most people seem to say it sounds like itll make it in the top 3,so ill prolly get a black one. Unless another color wud sound better...lol!!!
Thanks guys :p

May 15, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #51 of 68
I was in the same situation as you 2 months ago. Decided to go with the Zune and I love the sound quality! Actually, I think the big screen really helps... Ever since I got my zune I have been watching a lot of movies and shows during my cardio trainings. I am looking foward to the 100 gig toshiba hd and will do a simple mod to improve my hd capacity and battery life soon...
tongue.gif

May 15, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #52 of 68
u wont regret x5 but does any1 know if cowon is going to update it? ive been waiting 2 years for its replacement

May 16, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantmShado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah, thank god I got here in time!

Ok, someone earlier in the thread said the sound is nearly indistinguishable between the two devices. FALSE. The iAudio sounds NOTICABLY different from every other portable player I have heard (iPod(several generations), archos(several versions), creative(old jukebox and new micro), zune). So that means that I'm going to recommend the iAudio to you right? Not at all, my player is a zune even though I use linux. The different sound of the iAudio seems to me to be pure distortion that people that aren't intimate enough with their music mistake for being the best sound. I do not understand this. Every sound that goes through it comes out foggy and if you want to be energized by music in anyway, forget it. Same goes for trying to listen to classical through it: simply lifeless. I remember when I first threw out 250 for it, I sat back and plugged in all tense and waiting for an awesome experience. Moments later, I wanted to cry. I don't care what the "my toy" syndrome is making people think, do yourself a favor, get the zune. As much as the iaudio made me want to cry, the zune gave me audio nirvana back.

PhantmShado

Please.
rolleyes.gif

No, they don't sound very different. They have the similar depth, note resonance, and texture. The Zune has greater intensity towards the lower-to-high mid range, but the X5 is more prominent at the farthest ends. The Zune is slightly more musical through the headphone out, but the X5 is a equally more balanced when amplified (against a Zune amplified in the same manner). Simply put: neither will disappoint on sound. They both sound very good and are for most purposes sonic rivals.

You probably messed up the settings/DSP with your X5 (stock settings are crap). I and several acquaintances have used both units extensively and could point out no highly discernible differences between the two unless listening very carefully. Your accusation that people are farcical in believing the fidelity of the X5's sound is in itself slanderous, arguably biased, and overblown. If you were in this for fidelity you'd have an ER4S and not a SF5P.
tongue.gif

With all due respect, I doubt it's the variable of hearing differently, but I find that kind of flak against a very esteemed player with bloomy hyperbolic language and vague description both unnecessarily inflammatory and quite unjustified. But each to his own.

May 16, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #55 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u wont regret x5 but does any1 know if cowon is going to update it? ive been waiting 2 years for its replacement

www.dapreview.net

the news item says we should expect one this summer.

Oh boy, am I excited!

**edit**

as of this post, i officially average 2 posts per day. woohoo!

May 16, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
www.dapreview.net

Oh boy, am I excited!

**edit**

omg I think I need to change my pants
The x7 is really coming after all this time?

May 16, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #58 of 68
Rockboxed it, gave it neutral settings, still had no issue distinguishing it from other portables on either sf5p or speakers. Fine though, I'll admit there's a chance to my opinion on this one, I just assume that if every other player does the sound one way (and the way I happen to like more) I would consider the other ones right and this one wrong. The base of every sounds recording is the same data for all, it is not open to interpretation, but whatev... so long as we both enjoy our choices.

May 16, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

www.dapreview.net

Oh boy, am I excited!

**edit**

and I just ordered my x5!

oh well... no regrets.

May 16, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

www.dapreview.net

...what happened to the X6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back