Zune vs Cowan Iaudio x5 HELP!
May 10, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #16 of 68
3XO- Zune is more lush? Sounds good to me,because i cant hear any extension as much anymore. A little bit of high freq hearing damage,so.
Im now thinking of that new Xo amp too. Looks so nice,,and people say it sounds great,,and its only like $200 bux or so. Ill keep looking a bit,,but im hoping that will go well with it.
I picked up a Senn PX100 yesterday too and burnt it in all day.....and i cant decide what i like better......that,or my Koss KSC75. I sorta like my Grado SR80 better on some stuff...but un-amped,it doesnt blow it away through my minidisc player...................but maybe amped it may.
Fun playing though.
Im leaning towards that Zune so far,but im still making sure.
Thanks guys!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 68
I use a zune, I initially baught it because it powered my prolines better than a standalone ipod, I've made a few modifications to my zune, better battery, addition of a portable piggybacked LDM+ (currently looking at interlink options) in black (matches zune). i was also thinking of pulling my zune apart again to add a higher ferad resistor to the minijack on the top of the zune. this way the output better matched my LDM+ when turned up all the way, im getting tired of people using my zune and ultrasones, and jacking it up into distorted to hell levels.

as for zune frequency extension. yeah it does seem to go way up there. it does start to feed back at me at an estimated 36~khz "beeewbeeewbeeew" but maintains good volume up there through my speakers.

i was downloading music for a while (drum and bass with no strict copyright)
until i got the amp. then i got to a point where i NEEDED to buy the cd and 320 it myself or i just was not happy with the quality. i am quite satisfied with the size/quality ratio of my zune.

There are some rather big issues though, just to be forwarned. there is danger in charging the battery the right way, samll amount of growth from heating up the battery can cause it to break your screen. the zune firmware isnt the best, causes the zune to lock up everyonce in a while, ESPECIALLY for songs over 8 megabytes. songs over 12 megabytes might actually just cut out but continue to play in silence. in some cases zunes have locked up permanently on software insatllation, and zune support is garbage. and uh, the hard drive gets fragmented rather easy. but theres an annoying fix for that one. everytime i go to add a bunch of music, i just reformat my entire zune.

May 10, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 68
^^ what better internal battery you got ? where ?
How do you see the fragmentation of the drive ? Any mod ?

May 10, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3XO- Zune is more lush? Sounds good to me,because i cant hear any extension as much anymore.

Zune's high-end extension is good, but at 40hz the bass gets a little wonky.

May 11, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 68
Ok, xinoxide.....now youve scared me. I dont want some problematic junkbox.
I hope this isnt a really common thing.
I was starting to really like the whole Zune thing here.
Hmmm....decisions,decisions.

I have no idea what i want now. Seems like nothing out there is perfect.
Most products basically suck...lol.
Maybe there will be a new Zune with fixes soon and i should wait?
I have no freekin idea.
Grrrrrrr!!!
Ill have to see how often this all happens,and look more into the Iaudio x5 also,,or maybe the A2.......thanks guys for the replys though.
Maybe the XO amp will be good at least???

May 11, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #23 of 68
Dragon,

While what xinoxide said has its merit, I think you'd be plenty happy with a Zune. It works just fine for many people. There will always be problems with every player ever. You just have to hope you don't get a bad egg.

I use my Zune straight to my E4C's with everything encoded at 192kbps MP3 or higher. The bass could use some work, but overall, the Zune is a great sounding unit.

The software is fine for what it does. I don't use it as my main jukebox, but it's fine for transferring players.

Moral: Don't let a few horror stories scare you away from a good product.

May 11, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dragon,

While what xinoxide said has its merit, I think you'd be plenty happy with a Zune. It works just fine for many people. There will always be problems with every player ever. You just have to hope you don't get a bad egg.

I use my Zune straight to my E4C's with everything encoded at 192kbps MP3 or higher. The bass could use some work, but overall, the Zune is a great sounding unit.

The software is fine for what it does. I don't use it as my main jukebox, but it's fine for transferring players.

Moral: Don't let a few horror stories scare you away from a good product.

]

I totally agree with rockin'. I have the exact same setup as him, and find it to be great!

May 11, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #25 of 68
I wish i could just have like every box right here on my desk to check out and evaluate,but thats not happening. (OMG,i said "like".....Ill be ok).

Im sure every player has their problems, so i should really flip a coin. But which coin? Ok..now im even confused about coins.

Well the Zune does have a larger screen,and although i wasnt planning on using it for video....it did look pretty cool in the store,and when im camping i may wanna watch a show or something,or a music video...so theres a plus for the Zune.
The more extended highs on the X5 does me no good because i cant hear much over 15000hz anyway....so if it had a regular 20-20,000hz freq response,then thats fine.
I hope the Zunes bass isnt as bad as im picturing now. Im going to have to take a train to NYC. Im sure ill run into many people with X5's. and Zunes etc...and maybe i can just plug my headphones in and take a listen.
wink.gif

Someone i work with said something like.....if i dont buy music from the Zune website and i download my own to it,that itll only last 3 plays or 3 days whichever comes first,and then deletes. If thats true,then the Zune would be OUT......but that doesnt sound right to me,,that cant be.

With the X5, i think its just like using a USB thumbdrive......Just plug it in and drag whatever music i want in there like its a folder. No programs or itunes type things etc. I like that idea,if thats true.
The Zune i think uses Windows Media Player or a Zune program of some sort i think.
Im really starting to think i may have to buy both....and if one really stinks,ill sell that one.
Time to go to work. Ill tune into another episode of "Paul's more confused than ever", later tonight when i get home.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

Someone i work with said something like.....if i dont buy music from the Zune website and i download my own to it,that itll only last 3 plays or 3 days whichever comes first,and then deletes. If thats true,then the Zune would be OUT......but that doesnt sound right to me,,that cant be.

BS. All my mp3s are from CD's and those other sites. 3plays x 3days is only for WiFi transfered music files. Pictures transfered with WiFi dont get this.

is your friend an iPod owner ? if so that dude is not your friend spreading BS like this.
wink.gif

With Zune, you need to use Zune software. Media player doesn't work with it.
You can drag n drop your media files to the Zune software library and sync your media to the Zune. Its a small step from true drag n drop.

May 11, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #27 of 68
Its a big step if you use anything but windows I presume.

Anyways, I have a X5 myself and it sounds great, to me. It does have it's drawbacks though, like the line-out for instance. It just sucks, there's a big bass roll-off unless you use a very powerful amp (or so I read, I've never used an amp myself). On the other hand, the normal headphone jack is very good and can be used without problem with an amp.

And yes, both the display and controls suck on the X5, the joystick feels like it's of very low quality and the screen is very small and low-res. But it pretty much plays any audio format out there (FLAC is a must for me) and it's RockBox'able (the Zune isn't?). It has a very good battery life and the hard drive is pretty big too.

But in the end it's up to you, if you get the chance try them both out.

May 11, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #28 of 68
nah, sadly i still have a few downloaded tracks on my zune, they play fine although internet quality gets to me. alot of zunes have minimal problems, but theres still potential for a nuclear meltdown with these things, and ive always seen potential to be a little too much to bare.

if your out in the field, and someone sends you a song, it only lasts 3 plays, but theres a fix for that. i wont say how here, but there is one. www.google.com

theres also a crack to make your zune an "external hard drive" and in that case, you wouldnt have to even touch the zune software after you set the zune up with updates and such.

May 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #30 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and when im camping i may wanna watch a show or something,or a music video...so theres a plus for the Zune.

eek.gif

Why waste the time and fuel to go camping if you are going out into the wilderness to watch television? Leave the electronics at home. Listen, watch and experience the world unedited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back