Zune software 3.0
Sep 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to hi-jack this thread (well maybe I do), but what does Microsoft/Zune have against letting us have a true lineout ?

You said it yourself. Can't you go troll somewhere else?

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #33 of 40
Lewislink and Ricardo Dawkins - thank you. The center button was the one place I hadn't pressed. Now I can access the presets. I guess I should feel a little embarrassed about being so dumb... but I don't in the slightest
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #34 of 40
Has anyone compared the new upgrade with the earlier 2.5 and see if the sound quality has improved or has been affected?

I have the update on the z80, and Im not sure if my ears fool me, but i think the music might sound a tiny bit better. This could be just all in my head since i dont have a reference 2.5v to comapare to, but if anyone does, give it a try.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lewislink and Ricardo Dawkins - thank you. The center button was the one place I hadn't pressed. Now I can access the presets. I guess I should feel a little embarrassed about being so dumb... but I don't in the slightest
biggrin.gif

If you should, then a lot of people, including myself, should. But I don't and neither should you. By the way, hold either side of the large circle pad for at least 2 seconds after you get your stations preset. It will advance or go back through your list.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said it yourself. Can't you go troll somewhere else?

Huh ? It's a troll for what ? all the DAPs are in the same boat as far as lineouts are concerned w/ lame attitudes about how their players were never designed to be high definition products. Hey, Apple or Microsoft(or any of the other 'players' in this market) most of your players are enjoyable starting points for very high quality portable music. We're not asking you to make high end versions w/o all the bells & whistles & colors that seems to appeal to the masses, but make it easier for those of us who do try to make the portable music rig of our dreams.

Sep 20, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #37 of 40
I really don't care much about the marketplace and radio additions (don't think I've listened to the radio in the past 5 years). What stood out to me in this update is that they really improved the speed at which you can fast forward tracks and videos. This upgrade improves the speed of the unit in general by a fairly noticeable amount.

What I would like to be able to do is resume where I left off in my music after I decide to watch a video. You can resume every video in your collection at ANY time from the point where you left it, it would be a really nice feature if you had that same ability with the music. Doesn't matter when you watched it, or if you have watched other videos since. It's actually kind of funny that you can do this with videos and not with music. Even if it went to the track you were on, that would be an upgrade to having to it going to what album you were listening to and searching for the track.

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #38 of 40
What I like the most about this update is manual sync. I hate the idea of sync groups (especially because I'm toting the 4GB version)

I might consider getting a bigger capacity now, after all.

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh ? It's a troll for what ? all the DAPs are in the same boat as far as lineouts are concerned w/ lame attitudes about how their players were never designed to be high definition products. Hey, Apple or Microsoft(or any of the other 'players' in this market) most of your players are enjoyable starting points for very high quality portable music. We're not asking you to make high end versions w/o all the bells & whistles & colors that seems to appeal to the masses, but make it easier for those of us who do try to make the portable music rig of our dreams.

I agree with this. There's no legitimate excuse I can think of for the Zune, Sansa, COWON, iriver and all of the others to go out of their way to make an LOD not work. That's essentially what they have done. They have made it so the line out requires power from an external source to function. They went a step further and made certain not to provide any kind of power supply pins in the dock connector of the DAP.

Now, in order for us, the consumer, to confront this insult and offense, someone will figure out a way to provide easy power to the connector through the portable amp the LOD will connect to. Then, maybe, the portable amp makers can design their amps around the need to power an LOD by providing an easy connection.

We'll get it over on them low down dirty rascals one way or another. There is always going to be a way. It may take a credit card thin rechargeable battery stuck to the side of the DAP to provide power but there will be a way.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with this. There's no legitimate excuse I can think of for the Zune, Sansa, COWON, iriver and all of the others to go out of their way to make an LOD not work. That's essentially what they have done. They have made it so the line out requires power from an external source to function. They went a step further and made certain not to provide any kind of power supply pins in the dock connector of the DAP.

Now, in order for us, the consumer, to confront this insult and offense, someone will figure out a way to provide easy power to the connector through the portable amp the LOD will connect to. Then, maybe, the portable amp makers can design their amps around the need to power an LOD by providing an easy connection.

We'll get it over on them low down dirty rascals one way or another. There is always going to be a way. It may take a credit card thin rechargeable battery stuck to the side of the DAP to provide power but there will be a way.

I don't know if you remember, but the original IMod didn't use an LOD. The headphone out jack was modified to work as a lineout. Newer generation IMods use the LOD configuration because there may not be enough room inside the thinner cases for the Black Gate bypass caps. I don't know but there may be enough room inside some of the remaining (& probably disappearing) HDD players to explore what was done to the original IMods if the manufacturer closes the avenue to the LOD information to enable this connection. Just looking to one way to accomplish this connection may be too narrow a view to take . As they used to say "There' more than one way to skin a cat"(To which I say some of the people making up these sayings may have been foward thinkers, but they sure were barbaric people I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of !)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back