Zune, Ipod Or Creative?
May 5, 2007 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Gunblade

New Head-Fier
It does not really matter which one I choose. All my music is in MP3 VBR....

Out of the Zune, Ipod, and Creative players. Which has the best sound quality? It seems that Zune is the worst? (anythingbutipod.com).

I am looking at the Creative M player (no other model from them looks any good), the Ipod Video, Ipod Nano, and Zune. I have been waiting forever to get an MP3 player! The time has come!

May 5, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 48
Well, looking at your sig, you like touchscreens... so why not give COWON D2 a go?

May 5, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 48
zvm supports drag and drop, while zune requires its software.. that might be something to consider. i don't really like ipods stock sound, i find that you need to tweak the eq to make it sound better.

May 5, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the Zune, Ipod, and Creative players. Which has the best sound quality? It seems that Zune is the worst? (anythingbutipod.com).

I am looking at the Creative M player (no other model from them looks any good), the Ipod Video, Ipod Nano, and Zune. I have been waiting forever to get an MP3 player! The time has come!

I think if you do some research here you'll find the Zune fares a great deal better among LOTS of head-fi members than it did with that one guy who wrote the anythingbutipod review.

May 5, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicIsMySavior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zvm supports drag and drop, while zune requires its software.. that might be something to consider. i don't really like ipods stock sound, i find that you need to tweak the eq to make it sound better.

this is only part way true. if you are using xp, then there is a registry hack that allows drag and drop on the zune

http://www.zunescene.com/forums/index.php?topic=3455.0

May 5, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 48
both the zune and zv:m are better then the ipod. the zv:m is more versatile with more accessories and drag and drop w/o any hacks. It also has line out. the zune has better headphone out and a larger screen.

May 5, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does not really matter which one I choose. All my music is in MP3 VBR....

People tend to dismiss the iPod Video out of hand because of SQ issues on older iPods -- it's actually quite good and can be Rockboxed. The only problem is with IEM phones and other low impedance phones, there can be a bass roll-off that can allegedly be overcome with an inline volume control from Radio Shack (apparently because of the resistor in it.) I listen mostly with KSC-75's on mine and the SQ is as good as any other DAP I've used. With Shure E2C's the bass is a little weak, but using bass boost EQ (or the hardware eq in Rockbox) fixes it. I need to find the inline volume control I have somewhere around here and see if the rumored resistor fix works...

good luck!

May 5, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 48
Had a ZVM and now have an 5g iPod Video with rockbox. ZVM has a fat and warm sound but also muddy from time to time, and is unbearable for me with IEMs like mid/bass-heavy UM2. iPod on the other hand is on the lean and cold side, but also because of this I feel less veil and greater clarity. iPod's sound (with rockbox) is also closer to the sound I get out of my TBAAM. No experience with Zune but I've heard good things about it and this and Kenwood players might be my next purchase.

Hope it helps.

May 5, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 48
just a question from me here: hows the zune sq compared to an iriver h10?

May 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 48
If the Zune has better SQ than my H10 it is definitely worth a go, I am looking for clear sound myself since my H10 is having TD (technical Difficulties, scroll bar failure) and I am looking into replacements see if any seem good. I hope the OP finds a good MP3 he likes.

May 5, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 48
So the ZVM does support UMS (aka drag-in-drop) now? I ordered one of these, and I've been trying to find out if any of the firmwares added this ability. Which firmware was it? I'm that much more happy with my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back