ZUNE HD -Vaporware
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #32 of 59
Hopefully it has a version of Windows Mobile 7, as well as an internal amp. That's really all I can ask for on this DAP. Also, actually being able to live up to the HD name is a must.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully it has a version of Windows Mobile 7, as well as an internal amp. That's really all I can ask for on this DAP. Also, actually being able to live up to the HD name is a must.

It will definitely have an internal amp.
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup, I think there would be a bit of uproar if it didn't have an internal amp lol

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #35 of 59
Yeah you can just imagine the conversation day before launch -

"Headphones - check!"
"Touch screen - check!"
"RDS radio - check!"
"Wifi - Check!"
"Picture views - check!"
"media play - check!"
"EQ - check!"
"Numerous other battery sapping, cost inflating features no one uses but we have to have cos folks will moan - check!"
"Amplifier -...........oh bugger!"

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #36 of 59
zunehd2.jpg

New ZuneHD pictures, details

Quote:

Some more ZuneHD information has trickled into our inbox, and while we do not, in general, cover PMP’s, Zune seems inextricably linked with the future of Windows Mobile, so its probably a valid topic of conversation here.

From our limited information, it seems the ZuneHD will feature a lot of what Windows Mobile owners have long been waiting for.

The ZuneHD will have a capacitive, multi-touch OLED screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio and TV out, from what looks to be a HDMI port on the side. The radio will now be HD and the device will support HD media playback, which will be available from the updated Zune Marketplace.

The ZuneHD will also support 3D Xbox games, but it is unclear what form this will take.

The device will come in 16 and 32 GB versions, and will support wireless sync. It will also finally come with a browser that supports multi-touch.

The device is set to launch in Fall, around September, and will also finally be available outside US, in Canada, UK and France, and possibly other European countries.

It remains likely this device will serve as a showcase for Windows Mobile 7 when it is released, and Microsoft is expected to spend a considerable amount marketing the device and service.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #38 of 59
Looks a bit better proportioned in those shots than the first.

Shame its flash though. No reason to upgrade from my Mk1. Which in a way is good I suppose.

Makes the Touch look a little quaint.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 59
The specs in that newest article are not correct according to the person who leaked the original story about the ZuneHD.

I think it's pretty much common sense how useless this device would be at playing HD video content if it were stuck with 16GB or 32GB of storage.

volvoshine (volvoshine) on Twitter

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #42 of 59
The fundamental problem with the proposed product is...Windows Mobile. Anyone who has previously used Windows Mobile is well aware of the OS slowdowns when the heap gets overloaded, the freezes and lockups when too many apps are open and garbage collection fails it's job, the processing overhead that makes the UI slower than it really seems it should be and the overall complexity of the UI for not much good reason.

In other words, the WM7 UI will probably end up being seen as a noose around the product's neck rather than a help. One of the major selling points for PMPs is stability and simple / rapid functionality within the necessary operations; think about it, a Microsoft PMP based on WM7 is, essentially, a SMART PHONE with the phone app & transmitter removed. Exactly how many people love their Windows Mobile smart phones when used exclusively as media players?

I think I rest my case.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 59
Windows mobile 7 is supposed to be completely different. Anybody other than microsoft putting windows mobile on a pmp sounds like a bad idea to me, but i have confidence that microsoft can make it work. This seems like MS take on the ipod touch in that it is a platform and not just a standalone mp3 player.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 59
Yeah been using Windows Mobile since late 2004 and it does suck a big one.

Why do I keep using it? Well for some reason I keep getting given/winning Smartphones!

Ah well.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #45 of 59
Possible or most likely is the new ZuneHD specs:

An overview of the Zune HD specs:

* 3.6 inchish OLED full touch screen.
* NVIDIA Tegra powered.
* 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 120GB versions.
* HDMI Connection to stream straight to your TV.
* HD Radio.
* Web Browser.
* WiFi compatible, with wireless marketplace.
* Released, early fall.
* International release of the Zune device itself.
* Home AV packs, Car packs, Charge packs.

Unconfirmed rumors (A Microsoft spokesperson declined to comment or confirm):

* Camera?
* Company insiders tipped us off with the possibility of a limited edition dock accessory in various colors.
* 3D Xbox Game Support?
* Windows Mobile 7 preview bits included? (Maybe these reports mean an early WinMo 7 beta?)

Source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back