ZUNE HD -Vaporware
Apr 11, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 59
Yep, I've seen this yesterday and hope this is how the new Zune will look as I will so buy it.
duggehsmile.png

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope it uses Nvidia's new chipset that does portable HD... and let it be hackable to run RockboxHD!@#

PS: Or I'll settle for any form of linux distro, really.

It's Microsoft I doubt they will allow the Zune to be hacked.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 59
This is the guy that broke the story whihc at least the basic have confirmed to be true, as always take this with a grain of salt but so far it looks like storage will be "well over 30GB" so let's hope there is a hard drive model that could be upgraded also it will do wireless video downlaods.

Seems cool now all they need is to add back inthe EQ and I might buy it.

Twitter where the new broke

volvoshine (volvoshine) on Twitter

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the guy that broke the story whihc at least the basic have confirmed to be true, as always take this with a grain of salt but so far it looks like storage will be "well over 30GB" so let's hope there is a hard drive model that could be upgraded also it will do wireless video downlaods.

Seems cool now all they need is to add back inthe EQ and I might buy it.

Twitter where the new broke

volvoshine (volvoshine) on Twitter

I doubt it. They might just use the same high quality DAC found in the Zune 120gb, 80gb, 16gb, 8gb, and 4gb. They will most likely put in a much better internal amplifier though. The EQ to Microsoft is just a way to distort the sound as the original artist intended and a battery intensive feature. They made it where the Zune just gives out a crystal clear balanced sound where the output audio equipment alters it. I rather it this way...let your earphones change the sound not the device.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it. They might just use the same high quality DAC found in the Zune 120gb, 80gb, 16gb, 8gb, and 4gb. They will most likely put in a much better internal amplifier though. The EQ to Microsoft is just a way to distort the sound as the original artist intended and a battery intensive feature. They made it where the Zune just gives out a crystal clear balanced sound where the output audio equipment alters it. I rather it this way...let your earphones change the sound not the device.

The Zune30 and the newer Zune use the same DAC MS decided to physcially bypass the DSP to give a cleaner path in the newer zunes but by doing this nuked the EQ features. I have done several comparisons with the newer zunes and the older zune30 and with the EQ on and it sounds much better than the newer Zunes without EQ.

I don't think you get the idea of what an EQ is for if you expect your headphones to correct issues with recordings or properly change to the exact sound signature a person may enjoy. You may still need more fine tuned frequency adjustments even after getting headphones and a portable amp. Also i doubt the Beatles Intended their music to be played on a portable audio player 40 years ago, using the exact headphones I'm using, so I doubt they would care if I threw in an EQ to improve the sound to the way I like it.

If I take my current portable amp and my current headphones and use them on my wife's newer zune without the EQ it sounds worse, I take these same devices and put it on my older zune and turn the EQ on and it sounds much better. I want my sound to be as good as possible the way "I" enjoy it and I cannot achieve that without an EQ option.

Besides if you wanted to get better battery life you could simply turn the EQ off on the Zune30. I make the choice for better sound so I leave it on.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 59
Hmmm better quality components?

Usually they get cheaper and nastier with each generation?

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

The Zune30 and the newer Zune use the same DAC MS decided to physcially bypass the DSP to give a cleaner path in the newer zunes but by doing this nuked the EQ features. I have done several comparisons with the newer zunes and the older zune30 and with the EQ on and it sounds much better than the newer Zunes without EQ.

I don't think you get the idea of what an EQ is for if you expect your headphones to correct issues with recordings or properly just the user the exact sound signature they enjoy.

If I take my current portable amp and my current headphones and use them on my wife's newer zune without the EQ it sounds worse, I take these same devices and put it on my older zune and turn the EQ on and it sounds much better. I want my sound to be as good as possible the way "I" enjoy it and I cannot achieve that without an EQ option.

Besides if you wanted to get better battery life you could simply turn the EQ off on the Zune30. I make the choice for better sound so I leave it on.

The DAC in the Zune 30gb is a off the shelf DAC. The DAC in the newer Zune's have been customized according to Microsoft's wants. I can clearly hear that the newer Zune's sound much better than the Zune 30gb with my Shure SE530's. The newer Zune's give a cleaner sound more balanced sound that can only be heard through a really good pair of earphones which are ones found on the top of universal IEM list.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

The DAC in the Zune 30gb is a off the shelf DAC. The DAC in the newer Zune's have been customized according to Microsoft's wants. I can clearly hear that the newer Zune's sound much better than the Zune 30gb with my Shure SE530's. The newer Zune's give a cleaner sound more balanced sound that can only be heard through a really good pair of earphones which are ones found on the top of universal IEM list.

I'm sorry but I have done the same tests and you are mistaken, using lossless audio and my Atrio's and portable amp or even without it the Zune30's with the EQ turned off and the newer Zune's sound almost identical, when the Zune30 EQ presets are enabled especially the acoustic preset mode it pretty much blows away the SQ of the newest Zune's. I have both mine and my wife's newer zune and their is no contest which one sounds better.

Either way there is still no excuse for the Zune to be the only major brand of DAP with NO audio customization options.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

I'm sorry but I have done the same tests and you are mistaken, using lossless audio and my Atrio's and portable amp or even without it the Zune30's and the newer zune sound almost identical, when the Zune30 Eq presets are enabled especially in acoustic mode it pretty much blows away the SQ of the newest zune. I have both mine and my wife's newer zune and their is no contest which one sounds better.

Either way there is still no excuse for the Zune to be the only major brand of DAP with NO audio customization options.

Why are you using an EQ? What you are doing is making the sound fit to your preference. Turn off the EQ and plug your Atrio's without an AMP directly in to the Zune 30gb and then do the same with a Zune 120gb or any other newer Zune.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Why are you using an EQ? What you are doing is making the sound fit to your preference. Turn off the EQ and plug your Atrio's without an AMP directly in to the Zune 30gb and then do the same with a Zune 120gb or any other newer Zune.

Yea I have done that and the Zune30 sounds the same as the newer Zune's with the EQ turned off on the Zune30. I used the SAME lossless Beatles files on both devices using the same headphones with and without the amp and with EQ turned off the sounded they same. With EQ turned on the Zune30 it sounded much better and is what I preferred.

I'm using the EQ cause it sounds better to me, you know why most people use an EQ to adjust the sound the way they like it? The acoustic EQ preset is just right for my preferences. And my XM5 portable amp improves the sound quality even further.

Man some people get so freaking touchy when others DARE to actually use an EQ to adjust the sound the way they like it. I never understood the attitude you exude about EQ's you seem to really freak out and have a hissy fit when others feel the need to adjust the SQ. Hey guess what no one is telling you how you should be listening to music maybe you should do the same. I simply want a feature that is in older Zune's and nearly every other DAP on the market to be put back in newer model. If it offends you so much you can simply turn the EQ off if it comes back to the zune lineup.

I'm waiting for you to tell me I'm listening to the MUSIC WRONG!!!! like there could possibly be a way to do that.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Yea I have done that and the Zune30 sounds the same as the newer Zune's with the EQ turned off on the Zune30. I used the SAME lossless Beatles files on both devices using the same headphones with and without the amp and with EQ turned off the sounded they same. With EQ turned on the Zune30 it sounded much better and is what I preferred.

I'm using the EQ cause it sounds better to me, you know why most people use an EQ to adjust the sound the way they like it? The acoustic EQ preset is just right for my preferences. And my XM5 portable amp improves the sound quality even further.

Man some people get so freaking touchy when others DARE to actually use an EQ to adjust the sound the way they like it. I never understood the attitude you exude about EQ's you seem to really freak out and have a hissy fit when others feel the need to adjust the SQ. Hey guess what no one is telling you how you should be listening to music maybe you should do the same. I simply want a feature that is in older Zune's and nearly every other DAP on the market to be put back in newer model. If it offends you so much you can simply turn the EQ off if it comes back to the zune lineup.

I'm waiting for you to tell me I'm listening to the MUSIC WRONG!!!! like there could possibly be a way to do that.

A EQ is there to equalize the frequency to make it flat and neutral. If you feel you need to use an EQ you are simply making up for the weaknesses in your audio equipment. If you have good enough audio equipment you will see the need for no EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back