zune gripe: static crackle b/n tracks. is it just me?
Apr 27, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i am bumping the thread cuz those of you who do have the noise may find this worthwhile ...

I say this tentatively, because it's only been since last night, but it seems that I have improved the situation. Not fixed - I still hear the crackle when starting music which as someone said is probably the internal DAC and amp coming on. But the crackle noise as it pops in each channel is less intense, and less sustained. It's a matter of degrees .. .like I said its still there, but diminished somewhat. I think. I'm not ready yet to say whether its happening less frequently, but this is also a possibility.

On the other hand, the noise between tracks is SUBSTANTIALLY improved ... the noise is now only a very low level rustle, pretty much what I expect from any DAP without gapless. (please M$ get your s__t together and give us gapless!)

What I did ... 1) even though "restoring" the Zune didn't seem to accomplish anything the first time I tried it, I don't know maybe the third time's the charm. 2) more importantly, on a whim I encoded a few albums in -V2 Lame last night and gave them a try. Previously I had tried AAC and WMA 10 Pro on the Zune, and the gaps and static noise between tracks was pronounced. For whatever reason it's looking like Lame-encoded MP3 is easier to digest. I am finally hearing "blip" type transitions between tracks instead of extended gaps of 1/2 to 2 seconds. I've only been able to encode 7 albums so far though, so as the library builds I'll be monitoring the situation.

While the noise problems have not been eradicated, I am happy to have accomplished some real improvement. Hope this is helpful to others.

great observation! I had noticed this myself that some albums would play better than others, it wasnt until you pointed this out that I realised the difference was the codec. Thank you~

--

As far as the static shutdown protection I think it is quite variable as to how much it can bother people. For instance I had experienced it only a few times over several months of ownership until it got too warm to wear my jacket, so into my jean pocket it went.. which makes it completely unusable (shut downs every 20 steps or so, very annoying)

the summer carry solution for me was to get a camera bag with a shoulder strap and I haven't had a single shutdown since.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #33 of 38
mishkakrisa nobody ever said anything about hiss. Just crackle.

anyway, get this everyone ... operating on the assumption that the crackle sound I'm hearing when starting up some music is the amp reactivating from some kind of "sleep" status, I figured the best way to prevent the problem henceforth would be to find some way to wake it up prior to starting my music.

Solution ... turn the clicky sound back on in "settings" ... I had turned it off the day I got my Zune and never even thought about reactivating it until today. Never liked the navigational click sound much, on ipods, Zune, any DAP. But by turning it back on, now the click sound forces the amp to wake up well before I begin playing music.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
fix'd I think.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #34 of 38
nice! I'll give it a try, I've had mine off too since I bought it.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mishkakrisa nobody ever said anything about hiss. Just crackle.

Pedant.Relax man. oh, did i mention the pop? We are talking about cereal right?
icon10.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #36 of 38
^^ mish....did you take the poll ?
Hi, Zune brothers....can you all go to this website and post your 10 most desired features to improve the Zune Generation 1 device.

http://zunefeatures.wordpress.com/

Just register yourself (free) and post the numbers of your most desired features.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ mish....did you take the poll ?
Hi, Zune brothers....can you all go to this website and post your 10 most desired features to improve the Zune Generation 1 device.

http://zunefeatures.wordpress.com/

Just register yourself (free) and post the numbers of your most desired features.

Will do!
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happened to me last week. LOL, you all should have seen my face when the thing didn't turn on for 1 or 2 minutes...

Haha... I know exactly what you are talking about. But thanx everyone for the replies. I am glad my zune is not defective then.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back