zune gripe: static crackle b/n tracks. is it just me?
Apr 25, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you who have the crackle but say it doesn't bother you - I agree its not the worst problem ... but if you bought a home stereo that did this would you say the same?

Like I said in the original post I'm on the fence about this problem. Clearly it doesn't HAVE TO be there. It's pretty clear some have the crackle going on, and some don't. I'd really rather not be in the "haves" category since I paid for the same device as everyone else. On the other hand, for all intents and purposes, my Zune otherwise is functioning. I've got some time to keep using my Zune and think about it, so that's what I'll do.

and wgr, you said it happens very trarely on your Zune .. what if it was about 90% of the time?

I think you are totally in the right to not have to settle for any faults in the Zune or Home Stereo, etc. just saying that personally doesnt bother me very much, I just pray for lossless support in an upcoming firmware.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are totally in the right to not have to settle for any faults in the Zune or Home Stereo, etc. just saying that personally doesnt bother me very much, I just pray for lossless support in an upcoming firmware.

hear hear. lossless and gapless too. I do wonder if EFN's right in his post above that gapless support would fix this crackle problem for those who have it ... could be, but no way to know for sure or if gapless will even get worked in on this model Zune.

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

I see. yes, your iMod rig is pretty sweet, but something like that's beyond my reach right now. Have other obligations, and they are 14, 4, and 2 years old.
biggrin.gif
That's one reason I went for the Zune - decent sound on the cheap.

Anyway, any others experiencing this noise issue? This is the first I've heard of it as a 'known issue' but if my case is the exception rather than the norm, then I think I deserve to have it fixed.

No worries, I understand your situation. I have three kids as well. 9,6 and 3. Since giving up on my expensive car hobby, I became a portable audiophile which is the "cheapest" of the Audiophile genre LOL!

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 38
Hi, Zune brothers....can you all go to this website and post your 10 most desired feature to improve the Zune Generation 1 device.

http://zunefeatures.wordpress.com/

Just register yourself (free) and post the numbers of your most desired features.

If you are a Zunescene member, there is a poll where you can select 10 of these sames improvement/features so the Zune team can see what we want for our digital media players.

http://www.zunescene.com/forums/index.php?topic=14316.0

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 38
I think its the hard drive running or something thats causing the sound. My gigabeat has that same problem, but I'm used to it now. and Ricardo, get a pair of KSC75s man! This is HEAD-FI!

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #22 of 38
well, i am bumping the thread cuz those of you who do have the noise may find this worthwhile ...

I say this tentatively, because it's only been since last night, but it seems that I have improved the situation. Not fixed - I still hear the crackle when starting music which as someone said is probably the internal DAC and amp coming on. But the crackle noise as it pops in each channel is less intense, and less sustained. It's a matter of degrees .. .like I said its still there, but diminished somewhat. I think. I'm not ready yet to say whether its happening less frequently, but this is also a possibility.

On the other hand, the noise between tracks is SUBSTANTIALLY improved ... the noise is now only a very low level rustle, pretty much what I expect from any DAP without gapless. (please M$ get your s__t together and give us gapless!)

What I did ... 1) even though "restoring" the Zune didn't seem to accomplish anything the first time I tried it, I don't know maybe the third time's the charm. 2) more importantly, on a whim I encoded a few albums in -V2 Lame last night and gave them a try. Previously I had tried AAC and WMA 10 Pro on the Zune, and the gaps and static noise between tracks was pronounced. For whatever reason it's looking like Lame-encoded MP3 is easier to digest. I am finally hearing "blip" type transitions between tracks instead of extended gaps of 1/2 to 2 seconds. I've only been able to encode 7 albums so far though, so as the library builds I'll be monitoring the situation.

While the noise problems have not been eradicated, I am happy to have accomplished some real improvement. Hope this is helpful to others.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #23 of 38
LOL, I know...I know. But I cant order the marshmallows or shure yet. Need to buy a few more things from ebay before ordering new earphones. But if you see me with these phones after June, i'll not post again at www.headfi.org until the situation get changed.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

well, i am bumping the thread cuz those of you who do have the noise may find this worthwhile ...

I say this tentatively, because it's only been since last night, but it seems that I have improved the situation. Not fixed - I still hear the crackle when starting music which as someone said is probably the internal DAC and amp coming on. But the crackle noise as it pops in each channel is less intense, and less sustained. It's a matter of degrees .. .like I said its still there, but diminished somewhat. I think. I'm not ready yet to say whether its happening less frequently, but this is also a possibility.

On the other hand, the noise between tracks is SUBSTANTIALLY improved ... the noise is now only a very low level rustle, pretty much what I expect from any DAP without gapless. (please M$ get your s__t together and give us gapless!)

What I did ... 1) even though "restoring" the Zune didn't seem to accomplish anything the first time I tried it, I don't know maybe the third time's the charm. 2) more importantly, on a whim I encoded a few albums in -V2 Lame last night and gave them a try. Previously I had tried AAC and WMA 10 Pro on the Zune, and the gaps and static noise between tracks was pronounced. For whatever reason it's looking like Lame-encoded MP3 is easier to digest. I am finally hearing "blip" type transitions between tracks instead of extended gaps of 1/2 to 2 seconds. I've only been able to encode 7 albums so far though, so as the library builds I'll be monitoring the situation.

While the noise problems have not been eradicated, I am happy to have accomplished some real improvement. Hope this is helpful to others.

Good to know!

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 38
Mine is new and dead quite. Use Lame newest version v2 mp3 converted from FLAC using foobar. Also, didn't use the zune until it was updated to 1.3 firmware. Try a different encoders and see what you get just to make sure its the hardware.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #27 of 38
sorry, this is out of the topic but I have a quick question... Have anyone of you experienced random shut-down from your zune? This happen to me twice in the past week. It was a bit wierd and after the shut down, I cannot turn the player back for a minute or so... anyways.. does this sound familiar with anyone?

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #28 of 38
yeah lisztian that is a known issue if you wanna call it that. the zune powers down AFAIK due to a very sensitive built-in "surge protector" that will trigger from static electricity. It's happened twice to me, and while the crackle noise I've been complaining about here bugs me a bit, the shutdown thing doesn't bother me at all. Kinda reassuring, even if it is a bit too sensitive.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, this is out of the topic but I have a quick question... Have anyone of you experienced random shut-down from your zune? This happen to me twice in the past week. It was a bit wierd and after the shut down, I cannot turn the player back for a minute or so... anyways.. does this sound familiar with anyone?

Quote:

yeah lisztian that is a known issue if you wanna call it that. the zune powers down AFAIK due to a very sensitive built-in "surge protector" that will trigger from static electricity. It's happened twice to me, and while the crackle noise I've been complaining about here bugs me a bit, the shutdown thing doesn't bother me at all. Kinda reassuring, even if it is a bit too sensitive.

Yes! Exactly as you described. About five or so times. And, come to think of it, i was usually either inserting or removing the dock cord. The static explanation seems plausible. Thanks.

-m

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Happened to me last week. LOL, you all should have seen my face when the thing didn't turn on for 1 or 2 minutes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back