Zune 80 or Zen Vision M 60G
Feb 27, 2008 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kalidor

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for my very FIRST DAP. I would like it to be portable and have more or less narrowed it down to these 2. Of course if there are other candidates, I would be most happy to hear your suggestions.

1. Top on my list is sound quality
2. I listen mostly to contemporary pop, instrumentals and the occasional jazz
3. I like to hear rich vocals and good tight bass.
4. DAP is going to be amped through a Mier Audio Porta Corda MkIII
5. Have not decided on a pair of headphones yet, but the only pair that i have that can pass off as portable and is closed is the AKG K240DF. Not your usual portable phones, but I'll live with it for the time being.

With these in mind, which would be a better DAP for me?

OR is there another different one that I can look at.

Please help me.

PS... does both DAPs have a line out???

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 24
The ZVM does for sure and it's very clean. I personally LOVE the ZVM's UI and the video capabilities are certainly a plus. However, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, last time I checked the ZVM only went up to 60GB.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 24
I'd choose the ZVM over the zune for the simple fact that it has a line-out and zune doesn't- well, it does, but it's locked out unless you use the zune cradle, remote, cables, pixie dust, etc. The line-out will be a plus since you're using it with your amp.
ZVM also has a customizable eq if you want to use one.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 24
Agree with above. If you want to use and amp, the ZVM has a line out and EQ. I had both, and they both sound very robust straight up. I prefer the zune ultimately for the UI and the capacity in the end but your requirements can be met by the ZVM nicely.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 24
Thanks for all the input guys... looks like leaning a lot towards the ZVM... is there any other models that I can possibly consider?

Thanks

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt the ZVM a bit hard to find right now? Is it being phased out or something?

Yes, it is out of production, although units are available via Ebay and sometimes on Creative's site as a refurbished unit. It has been replaced by the Zen flash-based unit although the Zen won't work for you if you need more than 32gb.

I'm hoping my 60gb ZVM will hold out until a functional replacement is available. There really isn't anything on the market right now that can do that but hopefully there will be by the time I need another one.

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd choose the ZVM over the zune for the simple fact that it has a line-out and zune doesn't- well, it does, but it's locked out unless you use the zune cradle, remote, cables, pixie dust, etc. The line-out will be a plus since you're using it with your amp.
ZVM also has a customizable eq if you want to use one.

sorry but could you explain the advantages of line out?

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 24
line out bypasses the internal amp, so there is no alteration in the sound. The signal is a level output, and you must use it with an external amp for volume control. Basically its useful to get a cleaner signal straight from the DAC.

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ohhh... is there a list of DAPs that have line outs somewhere?

I don't know of a list like that. Generally I'll just look at the "big" features first (storage, format support, etc.) first to make my own list of players that seem interesting. Then I just look up the specs on each player on the company's site. If I can't find it there, I'll just google "Zune Line-Out" for example and see what people have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back