Zune 80 or Ipod Classic 80/160?
Mar 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Neblin

New Head-Fier
I was about to purchase an ipod classic 160gb but after reading the many problems it has, I'm beginning to doubt. Many people even say Zune has a better SQ. Can this be?

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was about to purchase an ipod classic 160gb but after reading the many problems it has, I'm beginning to doubt. Many people even say Zune has a better SQ. Can this be?

There's been some threads about this already. You'll probably find the info you want there
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/zune80-ipod80-283811/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ca...lassic-296877/

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 47
Wow, thanks! I've read them whole, and they were quite a good read!

Only trouble is... They haven't helped me make my mind up! Ha! I guess the future of portable players is flash-based... shame they have such a small capacity as of today
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 47
I've owned both, and I think when just looking at the players alone the Zune 80 is easily superior, it has a better screen, it seems better built, it sounds better, it has a better interface, the only real advantage of the Classic itself is better battery life. Of course, owning an MP3 player is about more than just the device itself, the Classic has better software (and is easier to use with 3rd party software), more accessories, and would make a better pairing with a portable amp. In the Zune's favor, it may have more future support from Microsoft than the Classic has from Apple.

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Aw man I just read average ipod life is 2 years? I don't feel like spending $350 (ipod 160 gb) for only 2 years of usage...
frown.gif

Between the hard drive and the battery, you'll probably find that's a pretty common life for a hard drive player before it needs some sort of maintenance. The batteries used only have a lifetime of a couple years of regular use before you see significant decease in their charge capacity, and hard drives have moving parts which will break down through wear and tear over time. Of course this can depend a lot on how you treat the player and just plain old luck.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Aw man I just read average ipod life is 2 years? I don't feel like spending $350 (ipod 160 gb) for only 2 years of usage...
frown.gif

2 years is the length of the extended warranty if you purchase Apple Care with your iPod. The iPod itself can last much longer. I have a 3g 30 gig that is still going strong.

But even if it only lasted two years, that would be long enough to be able to replace it for a fraction of the current cost. I'm sure the prices will continue to drop the way they have been so far. You just pay today's price, whatever that is and use the thing as much as you can.

By the way, no problems with my 160 Classic.

See ya
Steve

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 47
I have an 80 gig Classic and have had zero problems (well, I briefly had the headphone static issue on shutdown with the 1.0 update, but that is gone with the 1.1.1 update). I've heard that the 160 gig skips, but I've never had that problem with the 80 gig.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 47
Zune zune zune, i was an ipod user since the ipod mini days until now

The only advantage the ipod has is the slightly thinner form and better syncing software

Zune 80 has a bigger screen, noticably better sound, radio, customizable better looking interface, pretty much scratch-proof (my main concern about every ipod i've ever owned except for the mini, you can keep it looking new for more than 5 minutes) and you can get one of those zune arts on the back

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 47
If there's one thing I know about iPOD is that it scratches very easily. So yes, the Classic does scratch. The screen is made out of plastic, meaning it will scratch more easily than the Zune's glass one.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

frown.gif

Hahahaha, I'm having my 2ndG 10Gb iPod for so long that I can't recall. Really, not sure if its more than 5 of 6 years
cool.gif

I use it daily in my commutes, at work, holidays... I've replaced its batteries once for larger capacity ones than the originals. These are now showing shorter life, but still last longer than 12 hours. I'm so pleased with iPods (at least my unit) that I'm wondering if I really "need" another DAP or just replacing the batteries of this would be enough.

IMHO if you take good care of your Classic and replace its batteries when needed, you can make it last way more than two years.

Rgrds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back