ZUNE 2 Thread - Latest news & Updates
Oct 4, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #121 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And for the apple fanboys who say that the iPod interface is superior....what???

Having used my modded 80gb zune for 5 months now, I wouldn't say the ipod interface is superior to that of the zune but I still think it is still simpler to use especially if you have over 50 albums. the scrolling effciency of the clickwheel imo is indisputable but for veteran ipodders the zune shouldn;t much of a problem at all. overall i think the ipod interface and zune interface are marginally different and more or less similar at best.

I do however absolutely cringe everytime i use the zune software on my computer which i never do with itunes. microsoft should seriously work on their software before going on copying ipod's design even further. yes i mean it, i'm really disappointed with the direction they took with the new zunes. they looks like irivers of the toshibas they are probably based on. the original zune, now that had character which most daps lack these days. somhow microsoft made the newer zunes into ipod knockoffs overnight. just look at the zune 30 along with the new versions.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #122 of 249
I do agree with what you say about the originality of the 2nd gen Zune, but in all fairness, it's pretty hard to make something revolutionary in the DAP world these days that doesn't look a bit like something that's already been created. No doubt, if there was an updated gen 1 zune that looked the same but had more memory, better battery life....I'd still buy it. I must admit though that the Zune 80 will be Microsoft's best chance at capitalizing on Apple's recent flop and subsequent angry fan base. What the Zune 80 will do is offer a larger screen than the ipod classic (and hopefully way better sound), more memory than the ipod touch (good for TV and movies), a UI completely different from anything apple related (good for those of us who hate apple and all it stands for), premium headphones which are included with the player....all for the same price as the ipod classic 80gb. Now if that's not a good deal, i don't know what is. Here's to hoping that the zune 80 will have better battery life than my zune 30...

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #123 of 249
I have to agree with you. I still remain skeptical about the design and the computer software, but microsoft seems to tick every other box right. The screen, ui, sound quality, headphones and dear lord, the timing of it's release just seem so logical.

Can't wait for the new update on the old zune. will it get the funky new font from the zune 2?

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #124 of 249
We get everything except the ZunePad and the H.2xx codec support (conversion required)

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #125 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with you. I still remain skeptical about the design and the computer software, but microsoft seems to tick every other box right. The screen, ui, sound quality, headphones and dear lord, the timing of it's release just seem so logical.

Can't wait for the new update on the old zune. will it get the funky new font from the zune 2?

Acutally...yes! The UI of the new zune is supposed to be included in a software update most likely coming in early november which will completely revamp the zune music software and online store (I've seen it and it's a BIG difference) as well as give us loyal Zune 30 users the same UI as it's newer counterpart.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #126 of 249
Quote:

Having used my modded 80gb zune for 5 months now, I wouldn't say the ipod interface is superior to that of the zune but I still think it is still simpler to use especially if you have over 50 albums. the scrolling effciency of the clickwheel imo is indisputable but for veteran ipodders the zune shouldn;t much of a problem at all. overall i think the ipod interface and zune interface are marginally different and more or less similar at best.

I do however absolutely cringe everytime i use the zune software on my computer which i never do with itunes. microsoft should seriously work on their software before going on copying ipod's design even further. yes i mean it, i'm really disappointed with the direction they took with the new zunes. they looks like irivers of the toshibas they are probably based on. the original zune, now that had character which most daps lack these days. somhow microsoft made the newer zunes into ipod knockoffs overnight. just look at the zune 30 along with the new versions.

Are you saying that it's like the ipod because it's slimmer/ There's been a resemblance since Zune1, but there's going to be a resemblance with any player that's rectangular and white or black. Why? Because people associate that with iPod.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #127 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see why some may be bashing the flash version, but IMO the Zune 80 is pretty damn sexy. And for the apple fanboys who say that the iPod interface is superior....what??? I'm guessing those same people most likely haven't spent much time messing around with the "twist" UI of the Zune. It makes perfect sense, and it's very easy to use, and pretty sleek if you ask me. Instead of having to always go "back" you can just click left or right and choose albums or songs or genre, etc. To say that the iPod UI is superior is a bunch of horse manure. Not only is the Zune UI sleeker, but also just plain fun to look at. Obviously, just my opinion, but if the Zune 80 has at least the same SQ or better then I'd say that apple might have it's first serious competition coming in November. (unless of course M$ manages to make the battery life in the Zune 80 just as bad as the last generation....)

Well, they have updated the software, and from the vids, it looks fantastic. It's sleeker, more intuitive, and has done away with frames for a seemless experience.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #128 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
errr...the double shot is still there. but is not noticeable as Zune 30.

You got a new avatar!!!! What? Hahahah. Does this mean you got a new set of AKG's?

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #129 of 249
Quote:

I think the original Zune looked more like an iPod than the new one. Neither of them really look anything like it though, especially not the new one. As for the clickwheel, I'll definitely dispute you over it being better. To me the clickwheel flat out sucks for scrolling through a lot. My friend doesn't even have half the collection I do, but still, scrolling through what he did have on his Nano was quite a chore. I can just hold a button on my Zune, there is no way to get easier than pushing a button unless you have a UI that is controlled by your mind. The Zune easily has the better method for scrolling, but then again, I guess some might prefer the clickwheel, and that's fine.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #130 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the clickwheel, I'll definitely dispute you over it being better. To me the clickwheel flat out sucks for scrolling through a lot. My friend doesn't even have half the collection I do, but still, scrolling through what he did have on his Nano was quite a chore. I can just hold a button on my Zune, there is no way to get easier than pushing a button unless you have a UI that is controlled by your mind. The Zune easily has the better method for scrolling, but then again, I guess some might prefer the clickwheel, and that's fine.

You're quite right, all u do in the zune is press down and away u go. its alot easier that way. thats until my music library started to build especially with the new 80gb harddrive. the thing is, now i press until i find...say kanye west. what happens now is i let go of the button once k flashes up, then i need quite alot more clicks to go up and find the name 'kanye'. As always, i wish there were both features in one device. the zune style scroll down using a button and the click wheel for more detailed searching.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypictures
Are you saying that it's like the ipod because it's slimmer/ There's been a resemblance since Zune1, but there's going to be a resemblance with any player that's rectangular and white or black. Why? Because people associate that with iPod.

well it was my first reaction when i saw the pictures of the zune 2. it looked like an ipod without the clickwheel. after some thought maybe that was a positive response since the zune 80 looks like what the ipod classic should have been. something of a bridge from the older button based interface to the newer touch screen dominating designs. the classic's name and split screen ui is a pretty amusing mess which is rare from apple but it looks like if microsoft can market the thing well it looks like it might be competent.

even as I love my zune i've always been skeptical of the odds for the zune brand's success. i bought the zune to hold out from the mediocre 5g ipod but the 6g seems even more of a mess unheard of from an ipod. and having heard that microsoft will continue support the old zunes i sense that the balance is slightly tipping against the ipod for the first time. only slightly though. if microsoft can really exploit the zune's superior sq, then they should be a seriously threat to the ipod brand. talk of sq from the streets seem to get stronger gradually. ipod veterans now know the ipod isn't the best sounding dap out there.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #131 of 249
http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune

From Zunerama forums (thanks Apallohadas)

Quote:

Hello Zune Wooters,

Thank you for supporting the amazing new social ecommerce entertainment web community 2.0...er, well, thanks for picking up the cheap Zune deal at Woot.com the other day. We hope you are enjoying it as much as we enjoy your cash. We have some updates just for you:

First, as many of you may have heard yesterday, your Zune woot just got better - Microsoft will offer automatic software upgrades to improve the functionality and feature set of the Zune(s) you own. Yes, you heard correctly - Microsoft. Early-adopter support. Whoa. You can be assured that Woot staff will stay tuned and report the amazing developments in this area-for now, we're consolidating all previous Zune threads to the latest sale here. Please share any information you have with the rest your fellow new Zune owners there. There's a nice Zune news roundup post here.

Second... shhh... don't tell anyone! We have a limited quantity of official factory-refurbished black Zunes (now aka Zune 30's) to offer effective immediately. Our elite strikeforce of pirate-tongued, ninja-trained negotiation commandos worked their powers of persuasion to obtain every single official factory-refurb Zune 30. No, no blackmail, extortion, or coercion was involved (as far as we know). The point is, you won't see these anywhere else. These units are Microsoft-certified with full accessories, full warranty and even factory fresh retail packaging. And - in an ironic twist you're sure to enjoy - you get the scoop first. In fact, as a previous buyer, we're notifying only you (and your fellow Zune buyers) of a VIP behind-the-scenes event prior to their hopeful full day in the Woot sun: http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune. Slide on in past the velvet rope - these units are available immediately on a first-come, first-served basis at $99.99 each + $5 shipping. Sneak a friend or two in if you want - this is indeed an exciting chance to join the Zune in-crowd, but please, no "Welcome to the Social" jokes. (Unless you're as good at satire as fake steve jobs, that is.) We'll hold this sale open for as long as we can, but as with most Woot items (infocus projectors aside), quantity is limited.

Hey, cheapskates: don't forget your credit! Some of our own "early adopters" may have missed our follow-up Zune event, Open Letter spoof and all. Make no mistake, though, all buyers at $149 have real $10 credits on their accounts, ready to use on any sale over $40. Your discount code is BUMPYROAD. (Before you ask, yes, it will work on the VIP Zune sale, 2 magnums of Polyphemus, 3 yet-to-be-reckoned Woot tees, or anything else you can find that we sell for more than $40.)

On a final note, I've been asked to forewarn our newest members that the shop may be a bit busy on Friday - not to tip you Wooters Off or anything...

Thanks for your support,

Matt Rutledge
Woot CEO

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #132 of 249
Quote:

I do however absolutely cringe everytime i use the zune software on my computer which i never do with itunes.

Rest assured, Microsoft is going to completely rewrite and release a new version of the Zune software, along with the release of the Zune 2.

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #133 of 249
The Zune logo is longer unique...is like the iPod now..
wink.gif

My AKGk26p is the best thing I have bought after my Zune. Excellent headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back