ZUNE 2 Thread - Latest news & Updates
Oct 3, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #91 of 249
Listen up, people with generation one Zunes.

The new, firmware, software, UI, whatever you want to call it, comming out on the generation two Zunes will also be available for the generation ones.

This could mean wireless syncing, WMA lossless and native h.264 and Mpeg-4 video codec compatability, and all the new features will also appear on your first gen.

So, if you have a gen 1, and dont need the extra storage, stick with your generation 1. You wont be missing out on a thing.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #93 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The new, firmware, software, UI, whatever you want to call it, comming out on the generation two Zunes will also be available for the generation ones.

This could mean wireless syncing, WMA lossless and native h.264 and Mpeg-4 video codec compatability, and all the new features will also appear on your first gen.

So, if you have a gen 1, and dont need the extra storage, stick with your generation 1. You wont be missing out on a thing.

Only if there is no hardware-based SQ improvement
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #94 of 249
The main thing screwing this all up is that the new Zune still might not have LINE FREEKING OUT!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!
Yes the headphone out isnt bad, but i want to buy a Pico possibly or Hornet or something higher end than what i got and bypass the internal amp altogether.

Microsoft, look at this thread!!!
blink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #95 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone please tell me why the **** someone needs 20 hours or more of battery life? Really. The argument is getting old.

Please tell me a practical situation where one would need to listen to music for 20 hours without access to some type of charger.

There are public outlets everywhere, solar panels, etc, so don't give me the, but what if you can't get to a charger?

Someone obviously doesn't fly internationally very often.
I fly from Asia to Europe and the USA reasonably often, and the long-haul flights are in excess of 20 hours. Furthermore, there's the commute to and from the airport, transfer flights etc, which can push an entire journey over the 30 hour mark (not fun).

Would you honestly like to crawl all over a busy transit lounge in some country, tired and irritable after a 18+ hour flight, looking for a public outlet with a voltage that won't blow your adapter? 20 hours should be the bare minimum. It's not even a full day of listening.

And, as many have pointed out in this thread already, real-life figures might be much, much less than 20 hours.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #96 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will incorporate both tactile dpad and touchpad into one in the squircle shape.

Oh, I know. I was merely commenting in relation to an earlier post. I'm not a fan of the clickwheel style controls, and I hand it to MS for having both.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #97 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, apparently it won't support one of the codecs according to the link from Ricardo Dawkins.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #98 of 249
I actually have gotten at least an hour over the rated amount on the Zune before, I'm not going to say this is common, but still, the battery life has always seemed underrated on the Zune at least for me.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #99 of 249
"No, one of the few limitations in Zune 30 is that, unlike the flash Zunes and Zune 80, it won't support H.264 natively."

It'll transcode it. So, we've got one feature down.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #100 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone obviously doesn't fly internationally very often.
I fly from Asia to Europe and the USA reasonably often, and the long-haul flights are in excess of 20 hours. Furthermore, there's the commute to and from the airport, transfer flights etc, which can push an entire journey over the 30 hour mark (not fun).

Would you honestly like to crawl all over a busy transit lounge in some country, tired and irritable after a 18+ hour flight, looking for a public outlet with a voltage that won't blow your adapter? 20 hours should be the bare minimum. It's not even a full day of listening.

And, as many have pointed out in this thread already, real-life figures might be much, much less than 20 hours.

Point taken. But you aren't the average user, and, unfortunately, this means that it wasn't designed for you. The average user will change his playlist once a day, or at least plug it in that much, and so the batter life is more than apt.

That being said, you should consider looking at one of THESE, just announced today, and a handy accessory no matter what device you may have.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #101 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by norymeoreason41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap, this thread stresses me out. Now I am having some serious buyers remorse with my brand new 80 gig Ipod Classic. What do you all think?

I wouldn't have any worries personally, unless there's some specific reason that you really don't like your iPod. I doubt if the battery life will even come close to the iPod and personally I think the iPod still wins out as far as looks are concerned. If anything, I really like that Samsung YP-P2 player that's coming out more than the Zune.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #102 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point taken. But you aren't the average user, and, unfortunately, this means that it wasn't designed for you. The average user will change his playlist once a day, or at least plug it in that much, and so the batter life is more than apt.

That being said, you should consider looking at one of THESE, just announced today, and a handy accessory no matter what device you may have.

I've used about 3 different Taiwanese/China-made "emergency chargers", and they've either damaged my device, or given it a 10-minute boost of power. So maybe a reputable brand like Duracell might finally work as advertised.

Thanks for the recommendation!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #103 of 249
I really dont give a crap what battery life will be. As long as I can get 2hrs of video and a few hours of audio on one charge I'll be a happy camper. This will be perfect for my commute to college.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #104 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used about 3 different Taiwanese/China-made "emergency chargers", and they've either damaged my device, or given it a 10-minute boost of power. So maybe a reputable brand like Duracell might finally work as advertised.

Thanks for the recommendation!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh **** man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear about the dead devices. Energizer currently makes one, but it requires different tips, a la the iGo system. This is a straight up USB.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #105 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dont give a crap what battery life will be. As long as I can get 2hrs of video and a few hours of audio on one charge I'll be a happy camper. This will be perfect for my commute to college.

You'll be more than happy with Zune30 then. Last night I watched two Pink Panther movies, and had quite a bit of batter life left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back