Zune 2 - flash based Zunes announced tomorrow ?
Oct 2, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 42
Am I to assume those are cardboard cutouts in the picture or something? Why is the HDD Zune shifted to the right? The buttons aren't even centered.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 42
So here's the FCC confirmation of those pictures.

From Engadget

I like the new looks, it is pretty good. But I don't plan on upgrading, just grabbing the new firmware, which is a really nice move. As for the post above, it is just the angle of the picture that makes it look so odd, they clearly didn't get a full photo shoot with those things, that's for sure.

*Any speculation on what that is on the back in the center of the top? I would guess just something to allow better Wi-Fi signal.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 42
well, here's hoping that major firmware update really is a major firmware update ... i'd like me some gapless, and better battery life, and maybe a secure folder for my 'sensitive' media
icon10.gif
... and oh yeah a clock.

either way, i'm not buying anything new for a while .. while i'd love to see some little tweaks here and there via firmware, the Zune1 is a very, very nice player.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 42
If the new hd Zune is really as thin as that mock-up, then it looks good to me. It all comes down to the software for me though so we'll see what Microsoft has to say about that.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #20 of 42
I don't know, when you view the full image the screen is almost hanging off the right side.

big.jpg

Doesn't really look like an angle issue to me.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the new hd Zune is really as thin as that mock-up, then it looks good to me. It all comes down to the software for me though so we'll see what Microsoft has to say about that.

Well, I'm not sure the Zune software will change that much. If you'd like to check it out now, its available free at zune.net

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, when you view the full image the screen is almost hanging off the right side.

big.jpg

Doesn't really look like an angle issue to me.

I just wonder if those are the store dummies, or working models that have a sticker over their screens.

I can't wait til midnight!

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 42
Alright, point taken. I didn't see that picture, and that is a problem. My guess is that those are mockups, no way Microsoft would do that. It's pretty clear that isn't a real image on a screen, and from the looks of those , I doubt those are even real players.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #24 of 42
How does Microsoft expect to compete with the new ipods? Unless they are priced very aggressively, I don't see the appeal of the new Zunes. Sure the new ipods have their share of problems, but 160gb 40 hours of battery life completely out the Zune.

I'm not a fanboy, I am just having trouble seeing any advantage the Zune has at this point.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but 160gb 40 hours of battery life completely out the Zune.

you seem to know the capacities and battery lives of the new zunes. please share, we are all interested.

if the zune can't match the capacity or battery life of the new ipod, it will still have a bigger screen, subscription support, FM radio, and a really nice gui. i think to really be a contender in my mind, though, they should match the ipod's storage and battery life in addition to working on gapless, lossless, and a video store.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #26 of 42
One things for sure, you don't need a crystal ball to realize these are butt ugly
basshead.gif
The squartle scares me. Maybe it's one of those things you have to see in person to appriciate, or one of those things that grows on you Hmm.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm not sure the Zune software will change that much. If you'd like to check it out now, its available free at zune.net

It depends. The new Zune software package could be a steaming pile of crap again, and I'd be fine with it if they also let us use any third-party MTP-compliant app as well.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, point taken. I didn't see that picture, and that is a problem. My guess is that those are mockups, no way Microsoft would do that. It's pretty clear that isn't a real image on a screen, and from the looks of those , I doubt those are even real players.

Yeah, the HDD unit is as thin as the flash unit. No way that's a real player in the picture.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #29 of 42
It actually looks a little thicker to me. The depth could be true, though that is incredibly slim for a hard drive based unit. It would be nice if it were that thin. That would give them a good reason to rip-off Apple's "impossibly thin" from the first Nano. I would really enjoy seeing them take a shot at Apple like that, though I doubt it will be as thin as it looks or they would actually try an ad campaign that bold.

*Alright, looks like some more info and I don't want to make a new post. This is almost disappointing, almost. I can say I will be looking forward to wireless syncing though. It will be nice to not have to use the USB cable except for plugging it into the wall to charge.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does Microsoft expect to compete with the new ipods? Unless they are priced very aggressively, I don't see the appeal of the new Zunes. Sure the new ipods have their share of problems, but 160gb 40 hours of battery life completely out the Zune.

I'm not a fanboy, I am just having trouble seeing any advantage the Zune has at this point.

Was this on a blog/tech news site somewhere? I'm curious, because I haven't been able to find any site that mentions the Zune 2 flash based battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back