Zune 2.5 Update
May 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #46 of 73

May 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #47 of 73
May 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not convinced WMAL's are as stable as WAV's, regardless to what's stated as fact. W/ some programs, when you EQ the song, the files from WMAL's cut in and out horribly, as if it's losing the original signal very similar to an MP3. FLAC will not do this, nor WAV. For these two are the only lossless formats I use being that they're the most popular. Plus, DRM (used by many) becomes of a real concern, should you decide to D/L the bulk of your library.

For example, you can test this by using WMP's EQ. Scale any mid-high frequency to the max setting, and you'll hear the obvious differences. Hense, the reason to use WAV's (despite ths size) in backing/using an identical match to the original redbook algorithm.

WMP's EQ is not a good implementation. I get the same thing on all formats it plays. I use J.River Media Center and Foobar2000 to play my collection of WMA lossless. Both work well with the correct eq plugins. The best free EQ I have found is Slim SLow Slider's linear phase EQ VST plugins [slim slow slider presents] . I also use the 3-band available in my E-Mu 0404 patchmix, it's not bad and is not CPU intensive. I use a slight boost on the lower midrange to warm up my K501 on vocal music

May 10, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo96 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try deleting the files from your Zune, and then putting the edited tracks back on from the PC.

That helps, for sure. Now, it's also making the changes. I was editing the tracks, but it works better if I edit within the albums/CDs. Example, if the artist is "The Grateful Dead" but the song artist is "Grateful Dead, The" then the Zune SW will create two entries on the Zune with the same track. But now, with the ability to edit the CD, I can make those two categories uniform. And the problems go away. There are two tracks, however, I can't seem to fix, but I am going to try and delete them on the Zune first, then resync them. Thanks.

May 10, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by patricklang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WMP's EQ is not a good implementation. I get the same thing on all formats it plays.

Quite simply, I don't.

FLAC and WAV both play out identical, regardless to what I do, or where I use them. And, this is using only EAC or DMC for extraction purposes, varified by AccurateRip. WMAL appear to share the same frequencies for I have personally done comparisons using EAC w/ .wav's I trust, but for whatever reason, do not play out identical when manipulating the EQ associated w/ WMP. MP3's on a side note, (regardless) do the same thing. It can't be settings or hardware because nothing is ever changed when playing back different formats. I suppose this could very well be a program issue, (WMP) rather then a codec one. However, I know it's been documented that WMA's (in general) have been in question by many who share a unique passion for digital audio.

May 10, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #51 of 73
This is getting goofy. When I bought my Zune 30, it couldn't do wireless sync, it couldn't do lossless, it couldn't do gapless, it couldn't plug into my kid's 360, it couldn't do Audible (it still can't but it will be able to soon), it didn't have a clock, it couldn't do games, it couldn't do podcasts..but now it can do all that. What's next? Teleportation? I just sold a 3rd gen iPod 8GB I bought two weeks ago because it seems so impotent in comparison. The FM on the Zune 30 is the best I've ever experienced on a portable -and I'm a portable and home FM receiver collector - and it does RDS! which nobody talks about. How has you iPod changed lately?

May 10, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #52 of 73
yes the zune software updates are very nice. i am glad that you guys are getting a nice kit. i love this game. as for ipod, we got the biggest update we needed about 2 years ago: gapless. after that, the only thing really needed maybe is fm support. but the zune is a newb on the block so it was really under gifted in the beginning. zune and microsoft are catching up now and making very good products. as i said before: if the zune was available to other platforms and did not require wm programme, i would get one for sure.

May 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #53 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is getting goofy. When I bought my Zune 30, it couldn't do wireless sync, it couldn't do lossless, it couldn't do gapless, it couldn't plug into my kid's 360, it couldn't do Audible (it still can't but it will be able to soon), it didn't have a clock, it couldn't do games, it couldn't do podcasts..but now it can do all that. What's next? Teleportation? I just sold a 3rd gen iPod 8GB I bought two weeks ago because it seems so impotent in comparison. The FM on the Zune 30 is the best I've ever experienced on a portable -and I'm a portable and home FM receiver collector - and it does RDS! which nobody talks about. How has you iPod changed lately?

the funny thing is, the ipod you had could do all of those things already - no update needed (except for the wireless sync).

also, did this update add a clock to the zune? i hadn't heard that yet.

May 10, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the funny thing is, the ipod you had could do all of those things already - no update needed (except for the wireless sync).

also, did this update add a clock to the zune? i hadn't heard that yet.

Where is the integrated RDS capable FM radion on any iPod ?

yeah, ppl already have their clock with this update:
mockuptu9.png

0508082207.jpg

0508082226.jpg

0508082209.jpg

0508082210.jpg

May 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #56 of 73
The ipod's fm tuner? I have a 3rd gen nano on my desk. Why can't I figure out how to turn on the radio?

You can plug your ipod into an Xbox 360? Awesome!

May 10, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
integrated or not, the ipod's fm tuner is RDS capable.

and that is not a clock added with the update, it is a program built with the new XNA studio. good shot, though - you got my hopes up ricardo.

Zune clock application (built using XNA)

Added with the update or not, Zune user can get their clock.

Quote:

Why can't I figure out how to turn on the radio?

because you didnt bought the remote with the radio.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Amen Brother, spread the word: it is good to be Zune!

May 10, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

The ipod's fm tuner? I have a 3rd gen nano on my desk. Why can't I figure out how to turn on the radio?

You can plug your ipod into an Xbox 360? Awesome!

you do need the radio remote, and yes the ipod works with the xbox
Xbox.com | System Use - Use an Apple iPod with Xbox 360

ricardo, you implied that the clock came with the update but it does not. being required to load a program to view something as basic as a clock seems foolish.

May 11, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #60 of 73
I admit the clock didn't come with the update, but how do you get FM on an ipod? Do you have to stick something into its underbelly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back