Zune 2.5 Update
May 7, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I stupid? Why can't I get this gapless to work?

It'll be hit-or-miss if you're using MP3s, because MP3 as a format was not designed to be gapless, so gapless only works with workarounds, and depending on the encoding of MP3s, it might not work. All of my albums are MP3, and I've found that some are not gapless that should be on the Zune, so I figure it's an encoding issue. WMA should always work, and I believe AAC should also.

Also, be patient in your testing, don't fast forward to the end of a song to get to it quickly and see if there's a gap, the player needs to load the next song in advance, so just start listening through an album normally.

May 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #32 of 73
as with many files i have found with itunes as well. it depends on the encoding. my own cd's encoded on my computer with lame or aac never have trouble with gapless but if you have obtained them by 'other means' then sometimes they just will not work as they haven't the gapless information included.

hope to hear good news

wma and aac were not meant to be gapless either. the only lossy format i know that did it from the start is atrac. wma and aac depend on extra information put into their files to tell a firmware how to connect the files. it is not limited to mp3

May 7, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #33 of 73
I just updated my Zune 80 last night and noticed the gapless playback this morning. It put a big smile on my face as I just put on DT Live Scenes from NY and it sounds like it should!

May 7, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #34 of 73
Maybe I am nuts, but I went through a few CDs and tracks with the new Zune tag editing function, made a couple of fixes, etc., and it had absolutely no impact on the Zune after a sync. Same small track errors, as if I didn't do a thing. So much for the added tag editing functionality. I am thinking of reformatting the Zune, making the fixes, and then seeing if they show up. I was wanting to move the Zune to my new desktop anyway, where I have all the music backed up on a 500GB HD.

May 7, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I am nuts, but I went through a few CDs and tracks with the new Zune tag editing function, made a couple of fixes, etc., and it had absolutely no impact on the Zune after a sync. Same small track errors, as if I didn't do a thing. So much for the added tag editing functionality. I am thinking of reformatting the Zune, making the fixes, and then seeing if they show up. I was wanting to move the Zune to my new desktop anyway, where I have all the music backed up on a 500GB HD.

Try deleting the files from your Zune, and then putting the edited tracks back on from the PC.

May 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you rather use WAV than WMA Lossless?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo96 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use dBpoweramp to convert the FLAC to WMA Lossless or ALAC and not have to retag all your music. Using WAV makes no sense to me.

I'm not convinced WMAL's are as stable as WAV's, regardless to what's stated as fact. W/ some programs, when you EQ the song, the files from WMAL's cut in and out horribly, as if it's losing the original signal very similar to an MP3. FLAC will not do this, nor WAV. For these two are the only lossless formats I use being that they're the most popular. Plus, DRM (used by many) becomes of a real concern, should you decide to D/L the bulk of your library.

For example, you can test this by using WMP's EQ. Scale any mid-high frequency to the max setting, and you'll hear the obvious differences. Hense, the reason to use WAV's (despite ths size) in backing/using an identical match to the original redbook algorithm.

May 7, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #38 of 73
XNA 3.0 CTP is out...for those 2-3 headfiers that care...

May 7, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #39 of 73
After some testing I can comfirm, for my part at least, the update is NOT gapless with WMA lossless. So far, it plays back my music gaplessly about 80% of the time, while the rest of the time it either is a very slight snap or clip sort of gap (almost unnoticable). All my music was ripped using the Zune software or dbpoweramp. I have yet to try a few tricks that I have heard others doing (like removing the files onboard the Zune and then re-syncing) to get it working better, will report back soon gaplessphiles!

May 8, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #40 of 73
Can't wait til there are some good games available, this Alien Aggressor game isn't even decent, it's a start to just have it though.

May 8, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #41 of 73
lame. i just sold my zune 30 to my coworker this week and NOW it has gapless after having it since day one
frown.gif

oh well, hopefully rockbox comes out soon for the d2 :p

May 8, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #43 of 73
Disable a few things on your taskbar... (adaware, antispyware, vpn, antivirus)

Let it running. some ppl let it run for 1+ hours until it finished.

May 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #44 of 73
Gapless is working for me. I have all WMA lossless on a Zune 30. BTW, Zune will support Audible soon: Zune getting Audible - Engadget

How do I get games for my Zune?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back