Zu Senn cable worth the money?
Dec 15, 2008 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

koruki

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, Just want to get some feedback as to whether its worth the money to get a Zu MOBIUS SENN™ MK2 SENNHEISER HEADPHONE CABLE for my HD650's. At the price of the headphones themselves for cables I really need to need some opinion as to if its worth the money.

Cheers !

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 22
The cables make an audible difference. If you're setup is where you want it to be (you have a good amp and source) then consider the upgrade. I, myself, would only consider used ones because the new Zu headphone cables are pretty expensive. Other upgrade cables might be more affordable if you want to buy new.

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 22
Yeah they are quite expensive which is why I made the post lol. I'm still got my fingers crossed each morning when I refresh the Zu sale page.

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 22
Zu has good bass, clarity and resolution, compare to the stock cable of HD650. It makes HD650 less recessed. My setup has been built around HD650 so it's a good investment for me. I can never go back to using the stock cable, and I have forgotten about its price.

Whether it is worth it also depends on your other components. I found Zu a bit bright when using silver based interconnects so I got copper ones, and they are a good match.

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 22
I agree with what the posters above state - provided the setup is half decent, the cables should make an appreciable difference. If, however, you are using your Senn's unamped or with a crappy source, those are far more crucial to upgrade before thinking of the cable, which I would consider a tweak.

In terms of the Mobius itself - good cable IME; opens up the mid and high frequencies nicely. Physically it is a bit stiff though, and for my tastes it changes the character (of the 650's at least) a bit too much....a little too forward and can be bright depending on ancilary equipment and the recording.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 22
Yes, as other have said, it does make a big difference, but only if your amp and source are good enough. If your source or amp is lacking, then spend money there first. That way you'll be able to appreciate the difference the cable makes when you do buy it. Zu is having a Christmas sale, so you may want to watch their site the next few days to see if the Mobius goes on sale.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 22
I'm guessing that Zu Mobius doesn't ship overseas right? I saw that they have a representative here in Brazil, so if I try to buy from them they will probably tell me to buy directly from him.

I'm also wondering which cable should I get for my HD650, and there are several options:

Equinox - I found them at Stefan website.
Cardas
ALO Audio

But I really don't know which one to choose.

I will be a very sad man if Zu goes for sale with the Senn cables and I can't buy directly from them
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 22
I first got the zU cables a few years ago and they made a noticible difference as posters above have noted. I had some kind of problem with my grounding or something when using them where one channel/side would get weak or go out. Those were the stiff cable ones that were sort of thick and rough to the touch. Sean at Zu(I believe) said they had never had a complaint but had noticed it in later testing in the lab. They were great over there and they really work with you. They sent me a proto type at that time which was 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 years ago. The cable was soft and much narrower. It still had the zu mobius name on the split but was totlly different. To my suprise the sound was the same as I remembered the thicker cable. I had the thick cable for a while before finally being so upset that I contacted them after 10 months or more after an initial mix up with an exchange at the offset. I figured this style was about to come out but I don't know if it ever did. The pair I have is great and I use zU on most of my equipment.

Did they ever change that recable cable?

Either way get rid of the stock cables for anything else. I have some apuresound recable that is good too. You do have to balance funds between componants but the senns need some recable.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drew at Moon Audio makes some nice Sennheiser cables as well. You might try there. I'm a big fan of the Silver Dragon V2.

I'm really interested in the Dragon Series cables too. Can you share what the Silver Dragon improved on? Thanks!

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm pretty sure the Zu is a hybrid cable, both silver and copper. The Silver Dragon is a totally silver cable.

A good copper cable plays up the strengths of the HD-650 and improves on them, but these two change the sound more. The HD-650 is often a "dark" and "veiled" sounding headphone, so these cables help liven them up a bit.

I would describe the Zu cable as "fun" whereas the silver dragon is "analytical". That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, it's just what kind of sound you are looking for. The SD will bring the most clarity, detail, resolution, and speed, which is great for analyzing the music. It won't turn your headphone into an RS-1 or anywhere close, but it does get rid of the overly "dark/ veiled" sound. I would describle the SD as a "tight" and "clean" sound. The SD is great for tubes IMO because it brings out the most detail in the headphone and you still get all the mushy fun with the tubes.

The Zu is somewhere between the Silver Dragon and a copper cable like the Blue Dragon and Cardas. If your system is a little boring, then this would probably be the one to go for. It addresses many of the HD-650s weaknesses, while building up its strengths. It livens up the headphone and brings out more detail, but not quite as much as the SD. It does, however, bring forward the "recessed" midrange, and bring out the bass. The SD will have a tighter sounding bass, whereas the Zu will have a bigger, fuller sounding bass.

This is all IMO and different synergy / tastes may work better for others. I have not heard the Equinox or APS, so I cannot comment on either, but they do both get a lot of great feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back