Zu, Moon, Cardas, or something else?
Feb 15, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
In my system the Equinox and Cardas are both good upgrades over the stock senn cables. The Zu is as much if not more of an upgrade over the both of them as they are over the stock cables. Well worth the extra cash.

I'm in no way trying to sit here and defend the Equinox or poo poo the Zu, which I myself still plan to order very soon. But, I'd say given your choice of cabling you definitely like what silver cables do, and there is no doubt you have the quality of amplification and quality of source to allow for such high resolution and accenuation in the higher range. Often times it's simply a matter of taste too, the Equinox might not have quite what you want in certain areas. With me, I tend to like a slightly darker sound myself, well what would likely seem "dark" to many on this board, as I am so sensitive to the high end. But I will try the Zu regardless!

Feb 15, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 27
For some reason with the HD600 sounds better with any upgrade cable. You just need to try them. It's up to your ears. I hgave listened to some highly praised stups and wondered why.

cool.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 27
zu rules and the rest drool!!!

lol... but seriously... the improvement over the stock cable is startling... I would love to compair it to the equinox or a home made cable though...

[note: I am talking about the mobius for the 271's while most here are talking about the replacement cable for sennheiser cans]

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 27
You know what kinda upsets me. These threads turn into shouting matches where people say: "Hey, look.. this upgrade cable sounds good, so you better go buy it."

It makes absolutely no sense to me that people even listen to these rants. Obviously, most people have only heard one upgrade cable. Some who have upgraded from the Cardas cable may have heard two. Even those who have the Moon probably haven't had them long enough to realize the full break-in yet.

My advice, ignore the rants and stick with the all-encompassing reviews like the one Tuberoller did....

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 27
I agree, good advice. But I'd say keep in mind even Tuberoller's impressions are highly subjective as well, even though he tries to remain objective. I can't help but feel like I've started the diversion this thread may take but like Canman eluded to it at times seems like there is simply no other cable to consider anymore but the Silver Dragon or the Mobius. I know most of the seasoned members here remain objective and look past that and see there are several options to consider, and they read between the lines at the sonic impressions and are able to apply that to their own tastes and desires, but you get the less seasoned noobs that come along to this board and they are quite persuaded by the constant plugs for the Silver Dragon and Mobius and they conclude those must the only "real" choices. I question why I even care, heh heh, I mean why should it even bother me I guess. I just try to throw out my small little voice once in a while to say, hey, complete your homework and see you have other great choices too, vanilla and chocolate are still excellent choices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personal theory: I think with the Equinox it has such a balanced performance that paired with the HD650's quite balanced sound you get just more of the same but definite increases in performance over stock. From what I gather from impressions with the Mobius and from personal PM discussions with Mobius owners, I get the feeling the Mobius retreats some from the HD650's very balanced presentation and elevates the treble some as well and pumps up the bass, both of which the vast majority of members on this board love as there seems to be so much emphasis put on the extremes of the spectrum on this board. I can understand though, again it's a matter of taste. I think if you love the way the HD650's sound out of the box with the stock cable, or in more general terms the "Sennheiser HD580/600/650 sound", I think something like the Equinox keeps the same basic signature and refines and improves over the stock cable performance. If you find the HDXXX sound a tad bit laid back, too balanced or even slightly reserved, then I get the feeling the Mobius or the like takes the sound a bit out of that realm and livens up that Senn sound some. Just a thought.

And again, I still intend to try the Zu Mobius or the Silver Dragon.

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
I'm in no way trying to sit here and defend the Equinox or poo poo the Zu, which I myself still plan to order very soon. But, I'd say given your choice of cabling you definitely like what silver cables do, and there is no doubt you have the quality of amplification and quality of source to allow for such high resolution and accenuation in the higher range. Often times it's simply a matter of taste too, the Equinox might not have quite what you want in certain areas. With me, I tend to like a slightly darker sound myself, well what would likely seem "dark" to many on this board, as I am so sensitive to the high end. But I will try the Zu regardless!

Did I poo poo the Equinox? I thought I said they sound good. Didn't we talk before and I told you that you would probably be happier keeping the equinox over the Zu? I've been lucky enough to own the Cardas, Zu, and equinox with both the HD600 and 650. On my system the Zu cable improved the sound better than both the other cables.(all three were better than the stock)
I thought the point of this thread was for people who have heard the cables give there opinions of them. My opinion is the Zu cable adds better extention in both directions and gives a cleaner and tighter sound to the music. It in know way throws the balance of the phones out of wack. The downside is it is a very stiff cable, and putting them on the phones will freak you out.

Feb 15, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #22 of 27
Me i'm a happy user of the Cardas, but beware my opinion is completely biased as i'm a die-hard Cardas fan and i don't like silver cable
wink.gif

Sean H's post is very good, i feel the same in some way.

I've got an extremely well balanced sound with the Cardas, i know for years they work very well with tubes gear.

From what i've read i suspect the so famous ZU to emphasize bass and treble a little, you may like.

You better try for yourself.

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Did I poo poo the Equinox? I thought I said they sound good. Didn't we talk before and I told you that you would probably be happier keeping the equinox over the Zu?

Whoa, Tom, hang on!! I'm afraid we're victim of the faceless emotions of the internet here!
smily_headphones1.gif
I was in no way suggesting at all you were poo poo'ing the Equinox in any way, I was just saying that I hope that *I* wasn't coming across as poo poo'ing the Mobius.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry for the confusion!

We did talk before, and it would seem as if the Equinox might be best for me but it's just a guess and I will never know until I try the Mobius. Again, I just want to make sure that when I jump into these threads about the Equinox I'm just trying to offer the suggestion of considering the Equinox as a very viable choice is all and that I have no plight against the Zu in any way! Your impressions of the Mobius is great information and keep it coming if you ever have more info. Sorry if my vague "theory" of what the Mobius does to the balance of the HD650's seemed to suggest I thought it threw the balance way out of whack, I didn't intend for that at all. I was just saying that I thought with the Equinox cable you get more of the same sort of similar voice and balance that the HD650 inherentlly has, the Equinox just refines and improves things over the stock cable to a good degree. My suggestion is the Mobius might do something of a similar nature but does one further, where it slightly elevates the treble range whereby increasing perceived detail and resolution (liveliness as a result as well), maybe bringing things a bit out to the fore in some ways, and then of course elevating the bass region a bit too. No suggestion there of throwing things out of whack.

I've never even heard the Mobius, I'm just making educated guesses based on all the impressions I have heard to date is all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #24 of 27
Sorry, My mistake.

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephen C. Paul
the Zu mobius is an outstanding cable...... sonicly and is constructed with the best components presently available on the market.

Wow, I just can't stop. That there is a very subjective statement. Copper, silver, silver plated copper, Teflon, it's all subjective.

Feb 16, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #27 of 27
I find the prospect of paying north of U$200.00 for a Zu Mobius (U$ 400.00 after Brazilian import taxes) staggering! I just hope the Oehlbach is worth it cuz I think it's quite a costly investment as well. I'll find out in a few days.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back