Zu, Moon, Cardas, or something else?
Feb 12, 2004 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

srwatters

Head-Fier
My PPA is due to arrive next week and I'm itching to upgrade the stock cable on my HD600 phones. Trouble is, I don't have a clue which way to go. I've read reviews here and there are at least two camps, Zu and Moon, with some Cardas believers thrown in the mix. I don't mind spending up to $200 for upgrade cables and would like to get a 3m or 10ft length if possible.
Let's hear the pros and cons between these cables or suggest to me another if it fits.
TIA!
600smile.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 27
Just to complicate matters, don't forget the Oehlbachs, and, with Moon, you have a choice of Silver or Blue (copper). I was scared of too much silver (IC and internal amp wire), so I went Moon Blue Dragon and Oehlbachs (backup).

You might check Tuberoller's excellent cable shootout article, which covered most of this in detail.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=49708

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 27
I've been extremely happy with my Zu Cable Mobius, at least compared to the Stefan AudioArt Equinox. The Moonaudio Silver Dragon is supposed to be the big HD-650 upgrade alongside the Zu Mobius. I plumped for the Mobius primarily because it was available at the time, and because of the extremely good trial period and strong exchange rate.

I can't say I'm not tempted to try the Silver Dragon, but I suspect that its probably not as huge a change as the Stock or Equinox to the Mobius, and I've been extremely happy with the Zu Mobius. The cable is extremely well put together and the improvement was extremely strong. Again, it's not a case of being able to do a direct A/B and noticing huge differences, but if you listen for any extended period of time you get a different feeling about things.

However, I don't know whether the same changes would necessarily apply with the 600, the Equinox (so far) seems to be the upgrade to beat, but I'm sure that the Mobius and Silver Dragon would be worthy of consideration. It's just down to those who've heard it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 27
ZU

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 27
Although the Cardas isn't hip at the moment I think its a great cable and it's certainly cheaper than the others (other than the oelbach).

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 27
I like the Cardas with the 600 although I much prefer the Silver Dragon with the 650. When I had the Silver Dragon here I didn't use it with the 600, so I can't really comment on it. But I've been on strike and haven't listened to the 650's since the Silver Dragons left. I have been listening to the Cardas'd 600s a lot though!
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 27
How did I miss that thread? I couldn't ask for a better review and discussion.

Only problem is that the Silver Dragon is going through some retooling and via email from Drew, it could be two months before I see one. I don't know if I want to wait that long. I guess I'll most likely go for the Zu cable now, then give the Silver Dragon a try when it is readily available.

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

[
I can't say I'm not tempted to try the Silver Dragon, but I suspect that its probably not as huge a change as the Stock or Equinox to the Mobius, and I've been extremely happy with the Zu Mobius. [/B]

Where do you get this idea......?

Have you read tuberoller's shoot out of nearly all the replacement cables over various amps?

I believe(and Im paraphrasing here....) he said"totally transforms the phones" of the red dragon cable.
I mean If you dont like silver thats one thing, but saying that you suspect there wont be as big a change is a bit confounding.
Saying PREFERABLE change perhaps would be a better way to word it(if that indeed was your intended thought). If so then im merely arguing semantics, and I regress. But if not.....

k.s.

Feb 12, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 27
My statement was on the belief that the Zu Cable Mobius and Moonaudio Silver Dragon were on a par with each other, providing the same kind of refinement. Based on what I'd read before, people liked both for different reasons, but the differences were relatively minor. However, the change from stock or a different cable to either of the two _was_ more significant.

I do like silver, I have my own HGA Silver Lace RCAs that use the Silver Point locking barrel connectors, and own the Zu Cable Mobius. Both of which I've been extremely happy with.

As I said, I'd like to try the Silver Dragon cable, maybe I'll order one in a few months time after I finally get around to a source upgrade and build my ultimate PPA. For the time being I've invested in the Mobius and I'm happy with it. From what I'd read previously the opinion seemed to be that there was little to choose between the two.

Feb 15, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 27
thank you,

you had me scratching my head there....

I am kinda concerned about listening to the red dragon myself as Im NOT a big silver fan. I had pure note gen one references, all silver,which were pretty acclaimed; and then bought the gen two, which are copper/silver hybrids, and they blew the gen 1s away... so I see now where you are coming from.

But the good markings make me want to try it, and Drew said it would be fine, just return the blue dragons and hed send me the red ones, and if I liked the blue better, hed return em and the difference in price.

might be a little inconvinient, but thats just a great way to audition(and very nice of Drew too!)
k.s.

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
Although the Cardas isn't hip at the moment I think its a great cable and it's certainly cheaper than the others (other than the oelbach).

Well, here I go again. I feel like Canman as well, but about the Equinox cable. It may not be hip right now either (which REALLY makes no sense given how good it is) and may not be the current flavor of the month but it's not a small or miniscule improvement over a stock Sennheiser cable. Go waaaaay back to Tuberoller's shootout and see the high praise he gives it. While I hope to hear the Silver Dragon and Zu one day I'd suspect based on impressions that they offer a tad more of an open sound up top (likely the feeling of a tad more resolution and detail) at the expense of being more revealing too, which me thinks one must make sure they have the source that can really work well with these cables, as well as a tad more bass impact. The Equinox should be on anyone's short list of upgrade cables. Stefan's brief sonic description of it says "a rich, natural, involving presentation, with excellent soundstage width and depth. Full low frequency extension with natural, detailed high frequencies and ultra smooth midrange." That's EXACTLY what I hear myself!

End of whine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 27
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Equinox to the Oehlbach?

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 27
In my system the Equinox and Cardas are both good upgrades over the stock senn cables. The Zu is as much if not more of an upgrade over the both of them as they are over the stock cables. Well worth the extra cash.

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 27
I really like the Cardas/600 combo. I didn't care for the Cardas/650. You maybe able to grab a 600/Cardas at a good price. Zu has a 60 trial period. Don't know anything about the Dragons, just maybe delays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back