Zu Mobius breaking time
Apr 21, 2004 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Beto

New Head-Fier
First off, my apologies as this might have been covered a million times here at Head-Fi, but as the forum still lacks enabling of search (how come?) I have no other choice...

You see, I just got an used pair of HD600s from a respectable Head-Fier, and along with it, for a number of reasons I decided to bring in a custom length Zu Mobius cable too, based on lots of rave reviews here. I have no doubt the HD-600s have been very and carefully well broken in, but the Zu's are just out of the box. Listening to them at this moment, well... I hate to say this, but the Senn stock cable is sounding better than this fat wire for the moment
frown.gif

I am aware, however, that it is just a matter of time (I hope). This is what the Zu guys say about the Mobius on their page

Quote:

Right out of the bag, the Mobius should sound better than the one it is replacing and it will get much better with play. For the first 24 hours it may be a bit edgy compared to its eventual performance. Resolution and temporal accuracy will dynamically improve during the next 100 hours. After that forget about the burn-in, they will be sounding very good and additional gains should be welcomed not fussed over. Full burn-in is about 250 hours.

Something I really appreciate on good quality sound sources is the "air" and the sense of space around the instruments. Ergo, a wide, clear soundstage. Right now, the Mobius isn't making the Senns do much better than the $20 Sonys I was using, IMHO...
biggrin.gif
. All sounds like too crammed in the center. I truly hope this "air" starts coming as I put more hours into this cable. And not only for what it costs, but that kinda goes without saying
blink.gif

Would it help to leave the hd600s plugged in during the day in order to get ahead with break-in quicker? What would you reccomend me?

Apr 21, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beto
Would it help to leave the hd600s plugged in during the day in order to get ahead with break-in quicker? What would you reccomend me?

Yes. You should leave the hd600s w/ your Zu plugged in & your CDP in repeat mode, playing for the whole day for about 10 days. If you just want to burn-in the cable, just leave a little volume in your headphone amp.

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Yes. You should leave the hd600s w/ your Zu plugged in & your CDP in repeat mode, playing for the whole day for about 10 days. If you just want to burn-in the cable, just leave a little volume in your headphone amp.

That's what I was getting at. I *guess* that the more current in the cable the better, so leave it at normal listen volume rather than a low volume.

Remember, burning in headphones is a black art, not a science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back