ZOTL owners - what tubes are you using?
Feb 10, 2002 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
Just grabbed a Berning Micro-ZOTL on audiogon - my first piece of tube gear! I'm pretty excited, can't wait for it to get here. So, now I need to know what you guys recommend for replacement tubes. Also, I'd like to know your opinions on how my phones match up with the ZOTL - Senn 580s, AKG501s, Sony v6s, Grado SR60s, and hopefully etys in the future.

Feb 10, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 12
Congradulations on your ZOTL purchase! It's quite a neutral amp that does well with every headphone that I've tried it with, including the ones (except etys) that you mentioned. The stock tubes were decent but I now use NOS Sylvania tubes.

Feb 10, 2002 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Kurt,

Which Sylvania's are you using? I've got a couple pairs of used 6SN7GTB, but so far I don't think the GTB variant of the 6SN7 is the way for me to go. I've got a set of NOS Raytheons that IMO are better than the Sylvania's, and a set of Tung Sol's are appearing imminent (I've been spending way too much time on ebay lately
smily_headphones1.gif
). So far the 6SN7GTA sounds pretty good, but one of the pair of China Metal Base I got from Upscale Audio shorted out, and the replacement hasn't arrived. I want to get a set of VT-231's, just to get a feel for the range of possibilities...back to ebay :p

At the 12AT7 spot, I had a pair of Telefunkens that seemed pretty good, but just got a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys (apparently made by Siemens) that are far more neutral, and have an amazing amout of detail. I've also got a pair of Raytheons that are pretty good, but don't really hold up to the Telefunkens or Bugle Boys.

Come to think of it, I've got Tung Sol 12AT7's as well as the 6SN7's on the way...I really have been going at it on ebay.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
...I've been spending way too much time on ebay lately...

"Time"?

Feb 11, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
"Time"?

Just doing my best to help stimulate the economy, a few tubes at a time...
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 12
dcg,

I've been collecting a bunch of different types of tubes to try in the ZOTL. ISTR you're in the DC area. Drop me a note if you want try different tubes with the ZOTL. I'd be happy to lend you some to try out.

I still haven't decided on the perfect replacement tube, but I'm having a lot of fun with the hunt...

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 12
I got the Sylvania Gold Brand 6201 (12AT7 replacements) from Kevin from Upscale. I got Sylvania chrome top mil spec 6SN7GTA from Brent Jessee Recording for $28 each. See www.audiotubes.com. I also bought some GTB but never tried them. I was pretty happy with the first combo and left it at that.

Rajan, thanks for bring back those old posts; very valuable info.

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Rajan, thanks, those old threads were helpful.

I'm finding that both the 12AT7 and the 6SN7 are important in different ways. It's hard to characterize, since both tubes play a role in all aspects, but from my preliminary attempts (four brands of 12 AT7, and four brands of 6SN7, more inbound) the 12AT7 seems to be the primary tube in terms of detail and "warmth", while the 6SN7 appears to be the primary tube in terms of frequency response (more importantly, the shape of the frequency response curve). Both play a role in dynamics. No matter what the 6SN7 is, dynamics will be restrained if a JAN Philips is the 12AT7. Put a JAN Philips at the 6SN7 as well, and the sound will be incredibly smooth and silky, but completely incapable of reproducing rock...just not enough punch. Switch out the 12AT7 to a Raytheon, Telefunken or an Amperex (Raytheon has some veiling, Telefunken is classic "tube warmth" Amperex is the most neutral so far), and all of a sudden the 6SN7 can let go...but a JAN Philips GTA won't let go as much as a Raytheon or a Sylvania GTB. The latter tubes have aberations in the frequency response to the point where they won't be my permanent ones, although earlier versions of the Sylvania's might do it (The GTB's seem to have a dip in the midrange...odd). I've also used a China Metal Base from Upscale, but there are better tubes out there. More on this as the tubes keep rolling...

Feb 11, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for all the info. Rajan, I don't know how I missed those threads in my searches, but they were definitely helpful.

Like I said, I'm new to this tube stuff, so it's all a bit confusing to me. Hirsch, I may have to take you up on that offer, If I can find someone to lend me a car so I can make it out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kurt, thanks for the link, I was looking for a place to buy 6SN7s since Upscale doesn't sell them to everyone.

Dave

Feb 11, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Rajan,
Thanks for posting a link to my thread, saved me the trouble.

It's very gratifying to be able to help people on this site. Makes posting worth the trouble! Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back