ZOTL and RKV: The Search for Bass on the Sony R10
Jul 23, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #16 of 26
On Dusty's RKV, the two output jacks had markedly different characteristics with low impedance headphones. The lower jack produced a great deal of hiss, making the RKV almost unusable with low impedance cans. However, the upper jack produced very little hiss, not even noticeable when music was playing, and was compatible with all headphones we tried. I can only conclude that there is already some sort of impedance matching going on with the upper jack, as the lower one produced the hiss that I had been warned to expect.

I've used the R10 with the SHA-1 (although I haven't done a systematic comparison the way we did with the RKV), and it's a nice combo with good balance. However, the speed and detail of the ZOTL plays to the speed and detail of the R10, and produces a clean and transparent sound that the SHA-1 can't keep up with. Even with an attenuated bass response using the R10, I prefer the ZOTL...but that's me.

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #17 of 26
Didn't Vertigo once post that the R10 and the Sugden Headmaster were a great match? Maybe he can tell us about the bass.

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
Didn't Vertigo once post that the R10 and the Sugden Headmaster were a great match? Maybe he can tell us about the bass.

I'm not sure if Hirsch will ever find the bass he is looking for honestly. The R10's bass is simply not subwoofer-like or very visceral. If an RKV didn't satisfy Hirsch's bass needs, then I'm at a loss for further recommendations in regards to bass output. The Sugden is definitely not the place to look though if one concentrates on bass.

Jul 24, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 26
Weird, but the bass is there. The Grado HPA-1 can push bass out of the R10, and lots of it. In that sense I've already found it. However, the question is whether the rest of the HPA-1 is up to the R10. It gets better if you never turn it off (it has a standby mode, and the sound improves if it stays powered for days), but it also has limits it may not be able to pass. The HP-4 can push bass out of the R10, as well as the Headroom Max. The Wheatfield HA-2 didn't do a bad job, nor did the Holmes-Powell at the Headroom Tour, but neither of those really inspired me. OTOH, if the Max sounds as good as I thought it did at the Tour...

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #21 of 26
Vertigo: Why do you say that the Headmaster is not the way to go "if one concentrates on bass"? Do you mean that you find the bass response with the Headmaster lacking? I get great bass response from it with my HD600's and I've never read anyone else complaining about bass with the Headmaster. Or is this a particular lack of the combination with the R10?

Jul 24, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 26
It's because he's heard a Maxed Out Home and an RKV, both of which have a great deal better bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #23 of 26
Wow, you need more bass than the RKV can put out. My god man, get a subwoofer and put it under your chair!!
biggrin.gif
Just kidding. Those R10s must be defective. Please send them to me for repair. I will return them to you in a few years.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 26
was this the new rkv or the mk II?

i heard the impedance module thingamabob was now built in.

not absolutely sure but thats the rumor...
might make a difference.

is there a link showing where Dr. Meier is selling the rkv? Its not on the website.

k.s.

Jul 27, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by KShaft
was this the new rkv or the mk II?

i heard the impedance module thingamabob was now built in.

not absolutely sure but thats the rumor...
might make a difference.

is there a link showing where Dr. Meier is selling the rkv? Its not on the website.

k.s.

According to Jan, the Mk II is the latest RKV. There have been some tweaks made to it, but the amp is the same.

The two jacks on the RKV that was here behaved differently with low impedance headphones. Something is going on internally.

Contact Jan by e-mail for information on the RKV, before Aug 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back