ZMF Verite Open
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #451 of 9,534
Honestly this was my biggest fear with the new headphones. I’m not a big fan of tube amps (I get the appeal, they’re just not for me), and if I need one to get the best out of a certain headphone, it’s not the right fit.

I’m sure the Auteur also has an affinity for tubes but every time I’ve heard it it’s been on a solid state and sounded absolutely sublime. Not so the Atticus, for example, which lost some of its magic without tubes in support.

All that said, it’s great that Zach sticks to his principles, and I’m sure most of his fans (and hey, I’m one of his biggest) have tubes at the ready for the new toys in town.

I’m sure if the Auteurs sound great on your NFB the Verite will sound great on it as well. I personally did not like the synergy with the Gilmore Headamp Lite MK2. As Monster mentioned it much more linear and boring to me. But damn if that amp doesn’t have fantastic synergy with the AFO. All in the pairing.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #452 of 9,534
Also need to say that the bass is a lot more authority on my Sansui 881....actually it sounds spectacular! Its over 50 years old and other than having the pots cleaned up,its using the original caps(dont try this at home)

EDIT: yeah I can confirm that the Verite loves vintage solid state! Friggin brilliant! Bass weight,guitar notes are popping again.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #453 of 9,534
But damn if that amp doesn’t have fantastic synergy with the AFO. All in the pairing.

Indeed. Its magic with my non-X ATH AD2000s,a notoriously amp picky headphone,but with the Verite it doesnt bring the heft or weight in the bass.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #454 of 9,534
A couple things that need to be factored in.

1. comparing my GOTL to a Gilmore Lite Mk ll isnt really fair. GLMll is a mid-fi SS amp vs an amp that slays other OTLs costing 3-4 times more. Perhaps @Hansotek can weigh in with his Wells Milo,or as Zach said above

It also depends on what it is youre seeking from the sound. I think the GLMll sounds cleaner,so the detail comes thru better thus far.

The GOTL is going to slay most stuff until you get to the $4K range, and even then, it still hangs tough. Really right there with the Stratus, Cayin HA-300, Manley Absolute, etc... all of which are far more expensive. It’s not very fair to compare it to anything.

The Gilmore Lite is a 180 degree different sound, as it is very, very solid state sounding. Super by-the-numbers exacting and speedy. It’s probably more beneficial to be “in” that solid state sound listening mode coming off another headphone on the GLM2, rather than flipping between that and the GOTL directly, as I think you’ll always miss that extra depth and impact you get with tubes in a comparison that is structured in that way.

Bottom line here is though, some people are going to be really biased toward tubes and others toward solid state, especially with 300ohm headphones, where there is a pretty significant difference in the sound. It’s a hard question to answer.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #455 of 9,534
Honestly this was my biggest fear with the new headphones. I’m not a big fan of tube amps (I get the appeal, they’re just not for me), and if I need one to get the best out of a certain headphone, it’s not the right fit.

I’m sure the Auteur also has an affinity for tubes but every time I’ve heard it it’s been on a solid state and sounded absolutely sublime. Not so the Atticus, for example, which lost some of its magic without tubes in support.

All that said, it’s great that Zach sticks to his principles, and I’m sure most of his fans (and hey, I’m one of his biggest) have tubes at the ready for the new toys in town.

gLer,run,dont walk...Go grab a vintage receiver and a Verite! Listening to Fireball by Deep Purple and Im left wanting nothing...Bass,separation,staging,impact,texture all phenomenal. I might like this more than my GOTL!

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #456 of 9,534
gLer,run,dont walk...Go grab a vintage receiver and a Verite! Listening to Fireball by Deep Purple and Im left wanting nothing...Bass,separation,staging,impact,texture all phenomenal. I might like this more than my GOTL!
Now you’ve got me thinking... :p

Let me know how the Auteur plays with the vintage as well. Should be an interesting shootout!

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #457 of 9,534
gLer,run,dont walk...Go grab a vintage receiver and a Verite! Listening to Fireball by Deep Purple and I'm left wanting nothing...Bass,separation,staging,impact,texture all phenomenal. I might like this more than my GOTL!

Welp - I haven't tried this yet. I guess I'll hook up the Verite to my Marantz 2285b tonight. :L3000:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 14, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #460 of 9,534
I wish I still had my Sansui 5000a. It came out of a PX in Vietnam long ago. It was my first really good piece of stereo equipment.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #461 of 9,534
Also need to say that the bass is a lot more authority on my Sansui 881....actually it sounds spectacular! Its over 50 years old and other than having the pots cleaned up,its using the original caps(dont try this at home)

EDIT: yeah I can confirm that the Verite loves vintage solid state! Friggin brilliant! Bass weight,guitar notes are popping again.
What is your output impedance on that.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #462 of 9,534
Lol since we're on the topic of vintage receivers any recommendations ?

The loose rule of thumb on vintage house sounds was:

Pioneer-bright,like etched glass
Sansui- not too bright,not too warm
Marantz-warmest of the big Japanese three

I assisted a new member awhile back getting a vintage receiver and he ended up buying four,including the famous Fisher tube receiver(forget the model)...He sold them all off and kept the Sansui 881,which is also my favorite of all mine as well. I got mine for 75.00 locally. Its case has seen better days,and its missing a cpl button caps,but sounds glorious. You should be able to find one in good shape on eBay for around 300.00. Any more than that it had better be in pristine condition,inside and out.

I wish I still had my Sansui 5000a. It came out of a PX in Vietnam long ago. It was my first really good piece of stereo equipment.

I have one too. It is,by far,the bassiest,warmest receiver I own. Its currently on the shelf as it needs to go to the tech. I havent tried it with the Verite,but it was too warm for the Atticus.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #463 of 9,534
Nov 14, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #464 of 9,534
No clue. Try a Google. Ive never been able to make heads or tails from schematics.
I already tried. I'm betting the output impedance is quite high, which might be why it sounds warmer / matches better with the Verite.

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #465 of 9,534
I already tried. I'm betting the output impedance is quite high, which might be why it sounds warmer / matches better with the Verite.

If you look in my signature you will find that I own quite a few vintage receivers. All play well with high impedance headphones...You really cant go wrong with any of them from that era,but as I said above the Sansui 881 sounds the best to my ears. It also rocks the Atticus,and is absolutely magical with the AKG K240 sextetts. Even the Glenn cant do what the 881 does with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back