1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Verite

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by heliosphann, Oct 3, 2018.
First

Back
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Next

Last
  1. Phantaminum
    I’m sure if the Auteurs sound great on your NFB the Verite will sound great on it as well. I personally did not like the synergy with the Gilmore Headamp Lite MK2. As Monster mentioned it much more linear and boring to me. But damn if that amp doesn’t have fantastic synergy with the AFO. All in the pairing.

jinxy245 and Monsterzero like this.
  2. Monsterzero
    Also need to say that the bass is a lot more authority on my Sansui 881....actually it sounds spectacular! Its over 50 years old and other than having the pots cleaned up,its using the original caps(dont try this at home)

EDIT: yeah I can confirm that the Verite loves vintage solid state! Friggin brilliant! Bass weight,guitar notes are popping again.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  3. Monsterzero
    Indeed. Its magic with my non-X ATH AD2000s,a notoriously amp picky headphone,but with the Verite it doesnt bring the heft or weight in the bass.

Phantaminum likes this.
  4. Hansotek
    The GOTL is going to slay most stuff until you get to the $4K range, and even then, it still hangs tough. Really right there with the Stratus, Cayin HA-300, Manley Absolute, etc... all of which are far more expensive. It’s not very fair to compare it to anything.

The Gilmore Lite is a 180 degree different sound, as it is very, very solid state sounding. Super by-the-numbers exacting and speedy. It’s probably more beneficial to be “in” that solid state sound listening mode coming off another headphone on the GLM2, rather than flipping between that and the GOTL directly, as I think you’ll always miss that extra depth and impact you get with tubes in a comparison that is structured in that way.

Bottom line here is though, some people are going to be really biased toward tubes and others toward solid state, especially with 300ohm headphones, where there is a pretty significant difference in the sound. It’s a hard question to answer.

5. Monsterzero
    gLer,run,dont walk...Go grab a vintage receiver and a Verite! Listening to Fireball by Deep Purple and Im left wanting nothing...Bass,separation,staging,impact,texture all phenomenal. I might like this more than my GOTL!

6. gLer
    Now you’ve got me thinking... :p

Let me know how the Auteur plays with the vintage as well. Should be an interesting shootout!

Monsterzero likes this.
  7. zach915m
    Welp - I haven't tried this yet. I guess I'll hook up the Verite to my Marantz 2285b tonight. :L3000:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
    jinxy245 and Monsterzero like this.
  8. NickedWicked
    Has anyone compared the Verite to the Utopia yet? Should be a really interesting comparison!

9. wazzupi
    Lol since we're on the topic of vintage receivers any recommendations ?

10. pippen99
    I wish I still had my Sansui 5000a. It came out of a PX in Vietnam long ago. It was my first really good piece of stereo equipment.

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  11. ProfFalkin
    What is your output impedance on that.

12. Monsterzero
    The loose rule of thumb on vintage house sounds was:

Pioneer-bright,like etched glass
    Sansui- not too bright,not too warm
    Marantz-warmest of the big Japanese three

I assisted a new member awhile back getting a vintage receiver and he ended up buying four,including the famous Fisher tube receiver(forget the model)...He sold them all off and kept the Sansui 881,which is also my favorite of all mine as well. I got mine for 75.00 locally. Its case has seen better days,and its missing a cpl button caps,but sounds glorious. You should be able to find one in good shape on eBay for around 300.00. Any more than that it had better be in pristine condition,inside and out.

I have one too. It is,by far,the bassiest,warmest receiver I own. Its currently on the shelf as it needs to go to the tech. I havent tried it with the Verite,but it was too warm for the Atticus.

13. Monsterzero
    No clue. Try a Google. Ive never been able to make heads or tails from schematics.

14. ProfFalkin
    I already tried. I'm betting the output impedance is quite high, which might be why it sounds warmer / matches better with the Verite.

15. Monsterzero
    If you look in my signature you will find that I own quite a few vintage receivers. All play well with high impedance headphones...You really cant go wrong with any of them from that era,but as I said above the Sansui 881 sounds the best to my ears. It also rocks the Atticus,and is absolutely magical with the AKG K240 sextetts. Even the Glenn cant do what the 881 does with them.

First

Back
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
Next

Last