ZMF Verite Closed House Sound / Signature in portable form
May 18, 2020 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Spie1904

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Since I have received my set of ZMF Verite closed headphones, nothing has ever sounded better in my opinion (had them for a while now and well past the honeymoon phase).

As such I’d like to raise the question, is there a portable headphone (ex: aeon closed 2) or an IEM (custom or universal - but must fit smaller sized ears) that will sound similar to the ZMF Verite closed as it just nails everything for me!

I listen to a lot of genres but mostly metal / rock / classical / orchestral / film scores / Indie / Acoustic / a bit of french rap.

Source to be used is sp1000m by Astell and kern!

May 18, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 12
I would be totally interested in this as well the VC is my favorite headphone so far as well.

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi everyone,

Since I have received my set of ZMF Verite closed headphones, nothing has ever sounded better in my opinion (had them for a while now and well past the honeymoon phase).

As such I’d like to raise the question, is there a portable headphone (ex: aeon closed 2) or an IEM (custom or universal - but must fit smaller sized ears) that will sound similar to the ZMF Verite closed as it just nails everything for me!

I listen to a lot of genres but mostly metal / rock / classical / orchestral / film scores / Indie / Acoustic / a bit of french rap.

Source to be used is sp1000m by Astell and kern!
Tried the Aeon 2, mids are not the same as VC and Aeon 2’s are harder to power then the VC making your player probably not powerful enough. The Fiio m15 powers the VC well or A&K kann line but still a big headphone to bring places. I got to hear the Empire Ears Odin that has a fairly similar sound signature for iem but is very expensive and still doesn’t fully have the magic in the vocals. My 64audio 12t has a decent sound signature but still not the natural vocals with fairly open sound. Definitely love to know if there’s a more portable VC out there.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 12
Tried the Aeon 2, mids are not the same as VC and Aeon 2’s are harder to power then the VC making your player probably not powerful enough. The Fiio m15 powers the VC well or A&K kann line but still a big headphone to bring places. I got to hear the Empire Ears Odin that has a fairly similar sound signature for iem but is very expensive and still doesn’t fully have the magic in the vocals. My 64audio 12t has a decent sound signature but still not the natural vocals with fairly open sound. Definitely love to know if there’s a more portable VC out there.
I’ve tested both aeon 2 and VC closed and while their signature is indeed not the same , I don’t see why sp1000m in balanced can’t drive either of them.
To me it was definitely able to drive them to painful volumes if you so desired.
My VC I never use a volume over 70/150 and my aeon 2 almost never goes beyond 50/150 so not sure if I just listen at quiet volumes or whether you have a different understanding of how much power is required?
I appreciate the reply and the sharing of the IEM impressions.
IEM’s I kind of liked include Dunu Luna (great technicalities and vocals - not your usual tuning) and the Technics EAH-Tz700.
(better tuning)

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 12
I’ve tested both aeon 2 and VC closed and while their signature is indeed not the same , I don’t see why sp1000m in balanced can’t drive either of them.
To me it was definitely able to drive them to painful volumes if you so desired.
My VC I never use a volume over 70/150 and my aeon 2 almost never goes beyond 50/150 so not sure if I just listen at quiet volumes or whether you have a different understanding of how much power is required?
IEM’s I kind of liked include Dunu Luna (great technicalities and vocals - not your usual tuning) and the Technics EAH-Tz700.
(better tuning)

For the VC, Zach recommends 150-300mW at 300 ohms. So while it may power to volume levels that are high it will most likely not give you proper bass and will occasionally clip or condense your sound stage. The 1000m though very hidden specs will most likely be around 120-30mW at 300 ohms, just an estimate off my ak380 which produces 90mW at 300 without the add on amp and jumps to 240 with its clip on amp. I own the A&K ak380 and on its own the VC sounds thin but can get very loud, but when I add the addition clip in power amp it really wakes up the headphones they become much more dynamic, harder hitting bass, clear natural vocals, more open highs with better separation. It’s not a matter of volume. A&K hides their power specs so I only know mine because it was measured and it originally claimed 2.2 Vrms regular and 3.2 Vrms balanced before adding the additional amp. So at 4.2 Vrms claimed on on the 1000m, I’m not sure the exact power at 300 ohms only can est based on my measured ak380. The reason I like other daps now a days is they give more specs so I know if they properly power my headphones. The 2000’s might have enough power I believe they are rated at 6 Vrms which is 1.5 times the output of the 1000m and double my old 380 without the add on amp. The amp claimed to bring the 380 to 8.2 Vrms, which produced a measured 240mW. The m15 produces 280mW at 300 ohms the reason I suggest it. The 1000m is a better dap just falls a little short on power, probably the reason for the 2000 higher power output. I would still be using the 380 if Tidal worked with it, unfortunately it’s too old and won’t accept the updated app or play mqa.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 12
(better tuning)

If you have the chance try A/B your 1000m to connecting your 1000m as a source/dac into a headphone amp with around 1w power. 1w at 32 ohms which is fairly standard equates to around 300mW at 300 ohms. Just curious if you notice the sound difference, nothing to do with volume. I’m bad at explaining this end but the headphone sensitivity VC(99db/mW) Aeon(93db/mW) has more to do with volume and ohms to do with driving it. The VC is technically more efficient, higher number more volume efficient. The higher the sensitivity number the less volume you need per the same power output. But the ohms give you a look into how much power is needed to properly drive the headphone to a dynamic sound.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks a lot for the explanations!
I’ll be sure to give this some thought.
At some stage I was considering buying a RME ADI but probably need an amp on too for VC then.

Do you know if there is a way to calculate safe listening levels with a source and an IEM?
For example if I plug my Technics EAH-Tz700 with European specs into 2.5 balanced circuit, what volume would produce 70DB for example.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks a lot for the explanations!
I’ll be sure to give this some thought.
At some stage I was considering buying a RME ADI but probably need an amp on too for VC then.

Do you know if there is a way to calculate safe listening levels with a source and an IEM?
For example if I plug my Technics EAH-Tz700 with European specs into 2.5 balanced circuit, what volume would produce 70DB for example.
There are way too many variables with that question, it would be easier to measure volume levels with a mic and app. Iems are tricky you’d need to take an 8mm tube cut it to 20-25mm in length place a mic on one end and then fit the end of the iem foam tip to the other, might need a very small opened piece of a cotton ball between them. There are many apps that will measure. And a bunch of illustrations of way to do this online. It’s easier and more accurate to just measure.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 12
You may be in luck. Here and there, Zack has said he's releasing a portable ZMF closed headphone later this year. From what I've read, it will be around $1000 US and low impedance. There's some suggestion the tuning will be similar to the Atrium. It won't be the next release, though. That's the Atrium Closed coming at the end of the month.

The 'portable' could be the holy grail of portable cans... a space apparently once occupied by an early ZMF model, the ZMF Blackwood, which was a heavily-modded Fostex, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back