ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #2,326 of 2,616
I think I'm one of the last here to board the U709 tube train, but I'm so happy I'm finally on! As @tholt said, the sense of realism just takes a noticable jump up. Much more dynamic, detailed, clear, and holographic. I'm actually noticing details I wasn't before with this little rectifier, in songs I know VERY well. It's addicting. Everything just comes so much more alive. Thanks @shwnwllms for upgrading to 300B's!

IMG_7847.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #2,327 of 2,616
I think I'm one of the last here to board the U709 tube train, but I'm so happy I'm finally on! As @tholt said, the sense of realism just takes a noticable jump up. Much more dynamic, detailed, clear, and holographic. I'm actually noticing details I wasn't before with this little rectifier, in songs I know VERY well. It's addicting. Everything just comes so much more alive. Thanks @shwnwllms for upgrading to 300B's!

IMG_7847.jpeg
Glad you were able to get this unicorn!

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #2,328 of 2,616

IMG_7847.jpeg
Enjoy it! It’s incredible what a difference it makes

Sep 3, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,329 of 2,616
Have a pair of Mullard EL 84 square getter for trade if anybody is looking for a pair.

Oct 7, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #2,330 of 2,616
Thought I'd check in, seems pretty quiet in here. Thinking of thinning the herd of 12A*7 (and equivalents). If anyone is interested PM me for a list and pricing before I list them in the classifieds. I'd rather them go to one of the members of this community as they all are excellent in the Pendant. (Yes, there are some rarities in the bunch) :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #2,331 of 2,616
I finally put the g73-r back in paired with the 54’ Valvo Sittards I got from @shwnwllms. What a pairing! I had been stuck on the Brimar CV4035 Footscray with the Tungsram black plate foil disk getter. The Valvo/g73-r has more mid bass than Tungsram/CV4035. Much wider stage as expected with the g73-r. A little more forward. The Tungsram/CV4035 digs a little deeper in the bass and is a touch more dynamic sounding. I wouldn’t say either pairing was better. Both are awesome, a little different presentation. and addicting. Unfortunately, the 54’ Valvo Sittard plant EL84 tubes are mystical unicorns. Hopefully somebody finds another pair. Also, my Tungsram black plate foil disk getters are ultra rare red serial number versions I got from @Wes S. They might not be unicorns, more like Big Foot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 8, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #2,332 of 2,616
Thinking of off loading my VC Blackwoods if anyone is interested in buying or possibly trading. I prefer softer wood ZMFs.

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #2,333 of 2,616
Funny story I thought I’d share about a tube discovery that would be appreciated here-

I work closely with a pretty large team in Sweden. After about four years of not being able to visit their offices/see people in person, I had the privilege and pleasure of traveling there for a week about a month and a half ago.

While there, I finally got to meet our brand creative director in person- someone I’ve worked with a bit over the past few years, but never had a chance to chat with socially. As it turns out, we had a similar upbringing with fathers who are engineers, worked in Silicon Valley after an education in Scandinavia, and some other funny details. As we chatted about our fathers’ careers and our own tech experience and work, I mentioned my audiophile hobby and love of music.

My colleague lit up: “My father is an old radio hobbyist and has been collecting tubes since he left Silicon Valley. Maybe he has something you are looking for? He is selling his tubes now anyway, as he’s getting older and has so many.” I was of course interested, and we agreed he’d chat with his father and see if he had a list of tubes in his collection.

It turns out he did- and while there are undoubtedly other treasures among his tubes, I was specifically looking for 12AX7/12AU7/12AT7 input tubes for my Woo WA2 (I’ll get to the Pendant relevance, I promise!).

He had 6057s listed, which are a high-quality tube of that family. I emailed him (after checking with my colleague), and it turned out three Brimar 6057s were available for purchase for a very reasonable price.

We agreed that his son/my colleague could bring them with him when he was coming to visit for meetings at our offices. I met up with him today.

When you examine the photos below, you can imagine my reverence as I gently unboxed a pristine, good-as-new-off-the-line Brimar “Special T” 6057 from the Footscray plant. As you can see from the photos, it’s as fresh as anything that old can be. While I forgot to check the date code, I will do so tomorrow.

Tonight I cleaned the pins gently/carefully with Caig DeOxit and Gold (the pins look like gold to me), and seated the tubes in my WA2 and fired it up.

Damn. I know there are likely better tubes out there, but these are really, really good. They seem, to my ears, close to or even with my pair of 12AX7 Mullard medical-grade tubes.

I now understand the reverence for “the FIND”- discovering tubes that are older than yourself, yet look pretty brand-new, and you are the first person to use them.

If you got this far, here’s the Pendant part: I have three, but only need two. After checking the third one that it works as flawlessly as these two, I will probably list it at a very reasonable price. 😊 Stay tuned…

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 11, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #2,334 of 2,616
Funny story I thought I’d share about a tube discovery that would be appreciated here-

I work closely with a pretty large team in Sweden. After about four years of not being able to visit their offices/see people in person, I had the privilege and pleasure of traveling there for a week about a month and a half ago.

While there, I finally got to meet our brand creative director in person- someone I’ve worked with a bit over the past few years, but never had a chance to chat with socially. As it turns out, we had a similar upbringing with fathers who are engineers, worked in Silicon Valley after an education in Scandinavia, and some other funny details. As we chatted about our fathers’ careers and our own tech experience and work, I mentioned my audiophile hobby and love of music.

My colleague lit up: “My father is an old radio hobbyist and has been collecting tubes since he left Silicon Valley. Maybe he has something you are looking for? He is selling his tubes now anyway, as he’s getting older and has so many.” I was of course interested, and we agreed he’d chat with his father and see if he had a list of tubes in his collection.

It turns out he did- and while there are undoubtedly other treasures among his tubes, I was specifically looking for 12AX7/12AU7/12AT7 input tubes for my Woo WA2 (I’ll get to the Pendant relevance, I promise!).

He had 6057s listed, which are a high-quality tube of that family. I emailed him (after checking with my colleague), and it turned out three Brimar 6057s were available for purchase for a very reasonable price.

We agreed that his son/my colleague could bring them with him when he was coming to visit for meetings at our offices. I met up with him today.

When you examine the photos below, you can imagine my reverence as I gently unboxed a pristine, good-as-new-off-the-line Brimar “Special T” 6057 from the Footscray plant. As you can see from the photos, it’s as fresh as anything that old can be. While I forgot to check the date code, I will do so tomorrow.

Tonight I cleaned the pins gently/carefully with Caig DeOxit and Gold (the pins look like gold to me), and seated the tubes in my WA2 and fired it up.

Damn. I know there are likely better tubes out there, but these are really, really good. They seem, to my ears, close to or even with my pair of 12AX7 Mullard medical-grade tubes.

I now understand the reverence for “the FIND”- discovering tubes that are older than yourself, yet look pretty brand-new, and you are the first person to use them.

If you got this far, here’s the Pendant part: I have three, but only need two. After checking the third one that it works as flawlessly as these two, I will probably list it at a very reasonable price. 😊 Stay tuned…
Fabulous story! Thanks for sharing 👍
You may want to hang onto that third one for backup

Oct 11, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #2,335 of 2,616
Fabulous story! Thanks for sharing 👍
You may want to hang onto that third one for backup
Great feedback. That was my original plan (why I bought the last three the gentleman had), and to your point I should probably do that. 😁 :o2smile:

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #2,336 of 2,616

How cool! I was very excited when I bought this tube for my then Pendant SE and it didn't disappoint. It was definitely my favorite until getting the G-73R.

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #2,337 of 2,616
What a find! Those aren’t easy to come by. I’ve been looking at yellow Ts since my pleasant experience with the CV4035. If you decide to sell the third, I would be very interested.

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,338 of 2,616

It's great hearing stories of tubes finds like these. Congrats on a nice find.

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #2,339 of 2,616
What a find! Those aren’t easy to come by. I’ve been looking at yellow Ts since my pleasant experience with the CV4035. If you decide to sell the third, I would be very interested.
Will do, thanks!

(EDIT: I’ll let you know if I choose to sell that single 6057 T)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,340 of 2,616
How cool! I was very excited when I bought this tube for my then Pendant SE and it didn't disappoint. It was definitely my favorite until getting the G-73R.
Funnily enough, the G-73R is on tap tonight. Would you believe I received those two types ON THE SAME DAY from two vastly different sources from different countries, fairly randomly?!

Yes, I realize that’s beyond fortunate. I don’t know how I won that lottery. 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back