ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Aug 17, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,296 of 2,619
Just won an eBay auction on some early Marconi EL84’s (rx1 date code 1958 - square getters). They are coming from across the pond. Hopefully this will be a nice addition to the stable.
Dude that's the stuff! Maybe you'll hunt down an affordable Marconi 12AU7, then you'll be Marconi-Man :D

Aug 17, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #2,297 of 2,619
Dude that's the stuff! Maybe you'll hunt down an affordable Marconi 12AU7, then you'll be Marconi-Man :D
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. 😉

Im coming off a losing streak with my previous debacle with the Lorenz Declined D’s. This seller seems reputable though and based on the date codes they are from the Mullard Blackburn factory, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #2,298 of 2,619
Whoops. I just bought a 1953 Valvo (Phillips Miniwatt) ECC81 D-Getter Coin Base. It’s the earliest ECC81 produced by Valvo and very highly regarded. (Not to mention it looks pretty cool as well). This one should be here next week

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,299 of 2,619
Whoops. I just bought a 1953 Valvo (Phillips Miniwatt) ECC81 D-Getter Coin Base. It’s the earliest ECC81 produced by Valvo and very highly regarded. (Not to mention it looks pretty cool as well). This one should be here next week
Sounds promising!

Aug 19, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #2,300 of 2,619
Yay new (1955) toys!

IMG_7771 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #2,301 of 2,619
Yay new (1955) toys!

IMG_7771 2.jpeg
Foil Getters or Square? (The Marconi’s I have coming from the Blackburn factory are 1958 and square getters)

Any initial impressions, curious to know how the perform in combination with the G73-R black label

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #2,302 of 2,619
Foil Getters or Square? (The Marconi’s I have coming from the Blackburn factory are 1958 and square getters)

Any initial impressions, curious to know how the perform in combination with the G73-R black label
Foil getters, rX1 codes. I haven't even seen a pair of these pop up online before, not that I've been looking.

Compared with my Vavlo's, the fist thing that jumps out at me is the smoothness and lushness of the midrange. It's that classic British smoothness. Not overblown, but very, very addictive. Voices are powerful and buttery smooth.

The bass is the next thing I'm noticing. Quite a bit more present than on the Valvo's, while also being a lot more textured and detailed. The resonances and micro details in the bass just jump out. It's quite a difference!

The top end isn't quite as defined as the Valvo's (a big reason why I love them so much), but the treble energy also isn't as grating on the wrong tracks. These will likely be my tube of choice with the HD 8XX and 600. Listening with the Auteur Classics right now (which won't come off my head for a while).

Stage isn't quite as epic and expansive as the Valvo's, but with the G73-R, it's hardly small, just more in front of the listener. I'm also noticing that the sound is just a tad softer than the Valvo's. I think the best way to describe these are like a super, highly resolving version of the square getter '50's Amperex pair I got from Brent Jessee. Just much more "solid" and resonant overall, without any of the "fuzz" those had.

I'm sure I'll have more to say when I switch back to the Valvo's and hear them back to back, but for now I feel absolutely no need to do so. Love these things.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #2,303 of 2,619
Nice. Your description sounds pretty close to my Valvo rXA’s from Sittard (earlier production than the rx1 - also welded plate foil disc getters)

I’m hoping the Marconi rx1 square getters are on the same level with a bit more warmth

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #2,304 of 2,619
Yay new (1955) toys!

IMG_7771 2.jpeg
That is one sweet looking photo. Nice to have that bit of vintage history to rotate among your other drivers! Perhaps not much of a difference, but have you tried the red label G73R? The added bite might be a good complement to those Mullards

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2,305 of 2,619
That is one sweet looking photo. Nice to have that bit of vintage history to rotate among your other drivers! Perhaps not much of a difference, but have you tried the red label G73R? The added bite might be a good complement to those Mullards
It is a nice photo, isn’t it? I was just trying to get a closeup of the tube and didn’t make much of it lol

I definitely want to put the red label in and see how it fares. I imagine the bass will be even more intense with it too. I’ll report back!

Aug 21, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #2,306 of 2,619
Still haven't tried the red label, but I'm noticing the differences between the Vavlos and Mullards with more subtlety now...

First, the warmth of the Mullards is just stunning. They really do make the HD8XX's shine. The midrange is so much more filled in, and the bass more pronounced. These are definitely the most "tubey" tubes I've put in this amp so far.

Detail lags behind the Valvos a little. A trade-off for that lushness and smoothness. Also, I find the treble still gets to me with the Mullards, but in a different way than with the Valvos. Althought the Mullards have less treble overall, they have a little more raggedy, a less even presentation. The Valvos OTOH have the cleanest and clearest treble I've ever heard in a tube system (I haven't heard THAT many). The treble may be very slightly elevated, or perhaps just closer to neutral. The result is, when I want to hear recordings "as they are," and true to life, the Valvos are my #1. The definition and detail are perfect.

But when I want to listen to a tube amp, with the sense of reverb, resonance, and "euphony," the Mullards give me that tube magic. The Aeolus's treble peaks disappear, voices that might have some raggedy edges are all smoothed out, and I listen to the whole experience of music rather than the individual parts.

Overall a highly recommended tube. I'd bet the square getter version isn't so different, but I wouldn't know for sure. They're certainly more readily available.

Aug 21, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #2,307 of 2,619
Look what just showed up - Valvo ECC81 D-Getter Coin Base 53’

About to roll it now (this may be one of my last tube rolls in @Wes S old Pendant SE.)

I’m moving up the A&S chain to an Agartha 2021 so I’ll have the Pendant SE, and some EL84s, GEC U709 and an M-1 fuse posted sometime in the near future (I’m holding onto most of the input tubes for now to roll in the Agartha 2021 with an adapter

It’s been a fun ride. On to the 300b journey 🤑

IMG_3769.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,308 of 2,619
Look what just showed up - Valvo ECC81 D-Getter Coin Base 53’

About to roll it now (this may be one of my last tube rolls in @Wes S old Pendant SE.)

I’m moving up the A&S chain to an Agatha 2021 so I’ll have the Pendant SE, and some EL84s, GEC U709 and an M-1 fuse posted sometime in the near future (I’m holding onto most of the input tubes for now to roll in the Agarhta 2021 with an adapter

It’s been a fun ride. On to the 300b journey 🤑

IMG_3769.jpegIMG_3770.jpeg
How exciting! I've considered moving up the A&S ladder too, but it won't be for a while. Keep me in mind for the U709 please :pray:

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #2,309 of 2,619
Perhaps not much of a difference, but have you tried the red label G73R? The added bite might be a good complement to those Mullards
Actually this is the perfect combo. I'll be sticking with this for a while. The dynamism of the red label really complements the warm, lush sound of the mullards. And that soundstage width that the Valvos had is back with the added space of the red label too. Almost no slight background hiss in high gain either...but I just changed bedrooms in my house and have the amp positioned slightly farther away from my computer (and just bought longer cables lol), so that may be why.

Aug 22, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #2,310 of 2,619

Users who are viewing this thread

Back