ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #2,282 of 2,619
nevermind, i thought the fuse was broken, maybe it is just how i'm looking at it
No. I just pulled it out a bit so you could read the “1” (otherwise the bottom was cut off)

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #2,283 of 2,619
These arrived today... 1957 Valvo, labeled Amperex. Each with date code rX3 D7K, ring getter. Didn't have any luck finding earlier Valvos back when I was on the hunt, at the time these were a pretty good deal so I rolled the dice. So far they don't have the immediate wow factor I heard from the '54 elliptical getter Valvos so I have no idea if these will be anything like them or not. So far, they do sound a bit tight, and maybe a tad bit of grain and lacking that fluidity and bloom I love from the earlier Valvos. Hoping they'll open up with time and show some magic.
A quick update on these 1957 Valvos -- I let them play on/off since I got them but I'd estimate they have 25+ hours. Probably should have kept better track but they've got some time now. Happy to say they've opened up nicely. Bass in particular got huge -- hitting hard and deep. Tonally they've bloomed and no hint of that earlier bit of grain I may have been hearing. Soundstage is larger and noticeably more dimensional. All good news for me :) The '54 and '55 foil elliptical getters are still where it's at, but those are rare and are north of $150 - $200/pair. I'm digging these for less than $100. Having a nice mellow evening session...

PXL_20230721_061158240.PORTRAIT.jpg

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #2,284 of 2,619
No. I just pulled it out a bit so you could read the “1” (otherwise the bottom was cut off)
Honestly, I had the same initial reaction as @dynamic headphones . Looked like it was melted. What is the goop on the end at your fingertip?

(don't mean to use 'goop' as a negative term, just couldn't figure out what else to call it 🤣)

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,285 of 2,619
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,286 of 2,619
Aug 9, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #2,287 of 2,619
New horse in the stable.... just arrived today. Initial impression, lots of head bobbing.... Give me a couple days and I'll be back with details.

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #2,289 of 2,619
The Brimar CV 4035. I bought this from Pulse Tubes (https://pulsetubestore.com/products...dplug-play-ready-to-use-m-pairs-quads-singles) thanks to my partner in crime @shwnwllms. He loves to spend my $$ LOL. I believe this tube has been discussed in this thread before, but I didn't go back and look. If it was, it deserves more attention. If it wasn't, it is now. I have a Brimar CV4033 from the same dealer and it is a very nice sounding tube. The CV4035 is on a higher level. I fell in love as soon as I turned on the Pendant. It does everything very well. Extended, articulate bass (seems to be a trait of Brimar). Smooth midrange that isn't too far forward or recessed. The highs are crisp but non-fatiguing. Very linear sound with a touch of bass. Instrument separation is very good. Each instrument has its own place in space. Sound stage has nice width AND depth to it. It's not on a single plain. The red label Brimar I recently got has a more linear sound stage. The CV4035 is much more three dimensional. The big question I know that will come is, how does it compare to the g73r? Well,I would say you get 99% of the g73r at a fraction of the price. I would say the bass on the CV4035 is a bit deeper. The g73r can't be beat on sound stage. I feel they are basically equal in detail retrieval and smooth presentation. If you are looking for a backup to your g73r or can't afford a g73r, pick up one of these Brimar CV4035 and you won't be disappointed! I think I might prefer the CV4035 due to the extended bass. I know, I know, blasphemy!

I have the U709 rectifier and Tungsram welded plate foil disc getters as the rest of the tube complement.
IMG_1369.jpeg

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #2,290 of 2,619
Excited to be getting in a pair of Mullard ‘55 EL84’s with foil disk getters and rX1 bottom codes to try out soon. I’ve been wanting to try these for a while and a pair finally popped up!

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #2,291 of 2,619
Excited to be getting in a pair of Mullard ‘55 EL84’s with foil disk getters and rX1 bottom codes to try out soon. I’ve been wanting to try these for a while and a pair finally popped up!
Oh nice! Pretty sure I know where you got those lol. Such a small world... Really interested in what you think. Congrats!

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #2,292 of 2,619
Oh nice! Pretty sure I know where you got those lol. Such a small world... Really interested in what you think. Congrats!
Yeah I think you do know! Small el84 tube world for sure 😜

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #2,293 of 2,619
The Brimar CV 4035. I bought this from Pulse Tubes (https://pulsetubestore.com/products...dplug-play-ready-to-use-m-pairs-quads-singles) thanks to my partner in crime @shwnwllms. He loves to spend my $$ LOL. I believe this tube has been discussed in this thread before, but I didn't go back and look. If it was, it deserves more attention. If it wasn't, it is now. I have a Brimar CV4033 from the same dealer and it is a very nice sounding tube. The CV4035 is on a higher level. I fell in love as soon as I turned on the Pendant. It does everything very well. Extended, articulate bass (seems to be a trait of Brimar). Smooth midrange that isn't too far forward or recessed. The highs are crisp but non-fatiguing. Very linear sound with a touch of bass. Instrument separation is very good. Each instrument has its own place in space. Sound stage has nice width AND depth to it. It's not on a single plain. The red label Brimar I recently got has a more linear sound stage. The CV4035 is much more three dimensional. The big question I know that will come is, how does it compare to the g73r? Well,I would say you get 99% of the g73r at a fraction of the price. I would say the bass on the CV4035 is a bit deeper. The g73r can't be beat on sound stage. I feel they are basically equal in detail retrieval and smooth presentation. If you are looking for a backup to your g73r or can't afford a g73r, pick up one of these Brimar CV4035 and you won't be disappointed! I think I might prefer the CV4035 due to the extended bass. I know, I know, blasphemy!

I have the U709 rectifier and Tungsram welded plate foil disc getters as the rest of the tube complement.
IMG_1369.jpeg
So are there certain things to look for with this tube? Date range, factory or any other indicators?

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2,294 of 2,619
So are there certain things to look for with this tube? Date range, factory or any other indicators?
Not really, just buy from the Pulse store (link) and they will be 100% legit

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,295 of 2,619
Just won an eBay auction on some early Marconi EL84’s (rx1 date code 1958 - square getters). They are coming from across the pond. Hopefully this will be a nice addition to the stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back