ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Dec 10, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #886 of 2,521
I don't think I ever responded to this thread oh so long ago when the se version was first released.
Well the only reason for that is I've been so enthralled and completely satisfied with this amp upon receiving it that I haven't felt the need to ask for more.
But I realized this amp is very special and needs more praise.
Loving the pairing with my verite the most but the auteur sounds excellent as well.

I do miss the mjolnir 2 but only because it presented a different type of sound but still was comparatively worse than the pendant se for my taste.
So I am very happy having the pendant as my sole hp amp especially with the huge ability to alter the sound with unlimited tube rolling possibilities. Hopefully I'll be collecting more tubes for this beauty in the near future. But I've come across a few magical combinations with the few tubes I have at this point.
I really liked the nos tubes from zmf for a while and was my go to for getting used to the pendant but I've recently started experimenting with the various stock tubes and the small collection of nos tubes I've acquired since.
I found I usually like the nos tubes in the front spots but only certain combinations.
And to me the new production stock jj tube sounds just as good as any nos in the back tube port(6ca4) maybe better in some circumstances. I also received a "Blackburn Mullard made dated 1965, halo getter" from Brent Jesse that sounds pretty good.

This G.E.C. U709 Black Plate Square Getter sounds like it could be a nice addition but I should probably focus on getting some better power tubes first though, right?

Oh and for the input tubes which of the 12 ax/t/u tube type is recommended with the verite?

One more thing, I use blue jeans interconnects from my yggy and I noticed someone mentioned the blue jeans cables suck the life out of this amp. What interconnects would you guys recommend instead for close to the same price?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #887 of 2,521
I don't think I ever responded to this thread oh so long ago when the se version was first released.
Well the only reason for that is I've been so enthralled and completely satisfied with this amp upon receiving it that I haven't felt the need to ask for more.
But I realized this amp is very special and needs more praise.
Loving the pairing with my verite the most but the auteur sounds excellent as well.

I do miss the mjolnir 2 but only because it presented a different type of sound but still was comparatively worse than the pendant se for my taste.
So I am very happy having the pendant as my sole hp amp especially with the huge ability to alter the sound with unlimited tube rolling possibilities. Hopefully I'll be collecting more tubes for this beauty in the near future. But I've come across a few magical combinations with the few tubes I have at this point.
I really liked the nos tubes from zmf for a while and was my go to for getting used to the pendant but I've recently started experimenting with the various stock tubes and the small collection of nos tubes I've acquired since.
I found I usually like the nos tubes in the front spots but only certain combinations.
And to me the new production stock jj tube sounds just as good as any nos in the back tube port(6ca4) maybe better in some circumstances. I also received a "Blackburn Mullard made dated 1965, halo getter" from Brent Jesse that sounds pretty good.

This G.E.C. U709 Black Plate Square Getter sounds like it could be a nice addition but I should probably focus on getting some better power tubes first though, right?

Oh and for the input tubes which of the 12 ax/t/u tube type is recommended with the verite?

One more thing, I use blue jeans interconnects from my yggy and I noticed someone mentioned the blue jeans cables suck the life out of this amp. What interconnects would you guys recommend instead for close to the same price?
Nice to see someone else enjoying this amazing amp as much as me!

The Blackburn Mullard EZ81 Halo Getter is a pretty good tube, and the earlier Square Getter version is even better (more natural and organic sounding). I actually just pulled my G.E.C. U709 and rolled one of my Mullard Blackburn EZ81 Square Getters from 54', and it's definitely just as good but different. The U709 has bigger bass and especially more mid bass warmth, with a more open/airy sound in the mids and better extension in the treble. The Mullard (Blackburn) has more of a subbass focus, and then more forward mids and especially vocals, with smoother highs. I like the Mullard EZ81 with my VC, and the G.E.C. U709 with my Atticus, as each of these pairings play with each other's strengths very well.

As far as recommending tubes for your Verite and Auteur, I suggest using different tube combos for each headphone, as I have learned that the Pendant is so versatile with tube rolling, that you can really dial it in for each headphone. If you think about it, each ZMF headphone is tuned differently, so using a tube combo optimized for each headphone really lets you hear them to their full potential. I love my Atticus just as much as my VC on my Pendant SE, each with their own unique tube combos, and I feel like they both are sounding their best. So with that said, what are you looking to improve on with the sound on both headphones, and then I will be happy to make some tube recommendations. After 7 months of non stop tube rolling all 3 tube types, I have gotten a pretty good handle on what tubes can do in this amp and which ones to look for.

Also, I am the one who made that comment about the Blue Jeans interconnects sucking the life out of the music, so I feel like I should at least offer up a better solution, and for something in a similar price range the Audioquest Evergreen would be my first choice over the Blue Jeans. I have worked my way up the ladder in price and performance from AudioQuest Evergreen to AQ Red River and the Red River are quite a step up in all aspects and are where I am happy to stop climbing the ladder (at least for a good while). There are so many good interconnects out there, and I am sure others will have their favorites too, I just know what I have heard (mostly lower end budget stuff), and the Blue Jeans don't do the music any favors.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #889 of 2,521
Out of current production EL84, can anyone comment on the ones that don't suck? Mullard, Tung-sol, JJ, Electro-Harmonix? I'm getting a bit exhausted trying to source NOS tubes, it's a bit risky where I'm at because of location and shipping times.
I haven't heard every new production tube, but the Sovtek EL84M are fairly neutral and not too weird sounding. Also, the Gold Lions ARE weird sounding, but in a kind of pleasing way; sort of like the archetypical "tube sound." Fat, loose bass, thick mids, but really harsh highs.

If you can get them where you are, my favourite readily available tube is The Tube Store's Preferred Series 7189. To my ears they sound very natural, with great clarity and some real magic in the mids. They're just selected Russian 6P14P-EV from the 80's, so not new production, but I don't think they'll run out anytime soon.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #890 of 2,521
For those curious about the rectifier and rolling them, I can confirm they make as much of a difference as the input and power tubes.

Here are the one's I have rolled recently and they each offer a different presentation, especially in the way the bass is delivered and soundstage.

20211212_055922.jpg

1. Mullard EZ81 Blackburn Square Getter (Wrinkle glass) 54' - strong and tight bass with a subbass focus, forward magical mids, and smooth highs, and holographic stage to die for

2. Raytheon (Japan) EZ81 Triple Mica Square Getter (super rare version) - Huge bass with a big middbass bloom and a very warm and thick sound overall. If you are looking to add some tonal density this tube is it.

3. Tungsram EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter - Well balanced top to bottom, with good detail and a hint of warmth, this tube is very natural/organic sounding with nothing jumping out at you and a really nice open stage

4. Funkwerk Erfurt EZ81- Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter - Bass is tight and fast, mids are clean and well balanced, and the soundstage is massive

5. G.E.C. U709 Black Plate Square Getter - Strong bass with nice middbass bloom and warmth, dynamic with really good punch and clean airy mids, extended highs, and a huge stage with really good depth (there is a reason this tube cost so much, when and if you can find one). :wink:

I have said this before and I will say it again, this amp is amazing in how you can tweak the sound from 3 different angles with the input, power, and rectifier tubes. This amp is still continuing to amaze me after 7 months of ownership. Long live the Pendant SE!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #891 of 2,521
For those looking for a G.E.C. U709, you might want to get in on this auction. I bought one of mine from this seller with no issues, and this one is perfectly balanced as well. This is a magical rectifier, that combines warmth and detail with a very deep stage and strong dynamics. I really hope a Pendant owners wins it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203747137230

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #892 of 2,521
For those curious about the rectifier and rolling them, I can confirm they make as much of a difference as the input and power tubes.

Here are the one's I have rolled recently and they each offer a different presentation, especially in the way the bass is delivered and soundstage.

20211212_055922.jpg

1. Mullard EZ81 Blackburn Square Getter (Wrinkle glass) 54' - strong and tight bass with a subbass focus, forward magical mids, and smooth highs, and holographic stage to die for

2. Raytheon (Japan) EZ81 Triple Mica Square Getter (super rare version) - Huge bass with a big middbass bloom and a very warm and thick sound overall. If you are looking to add some tonal density this tube is it.

3. Tungsram EZ81 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter - Well balanced top to bottom, with good detail and a hint of warmth, this tube is very natural/organic sounding with nothing jumping out at you and a really nice open stage

4. Funkwerk Erfurt EZ81- Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter - Bass is tight and fast, mids are clean and well balanced, and the soundstage is massive

5. G.E.C. U709 Black Plate Square Getter - Strong bass with nice middbass bloom and warmth, dynamic with really good punch and clean airy mids, extended highs, and a huge stage with really good depth (there is a reason this tube cost so much, when and if you can find one). :wink:

I have said this before and I will say it again, this amp is amazing in how you can tweak the sound from 3 different angles with the input, power, and rectifier tubes. This amp is still continuing to amaze me after 7 months of ownership. Long live the Pendant SE!
As a fellow owner of the Sonnet Morpheus who might be on the verge of buying the Pendant, I am assuming you find the Morpheus to pair well with it?

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #893 of 2,521
As a fellow owner of the Sonnet Morpheus who might be on the verge of buying the Pendant, I am assuming you find the Morpheus to pair well with it?
Absolutely. The speed and neutrality of the Pendant works extremely well with the smooth yet highly detailed Morpheus. There is a reason they are both sold by ZMF.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #895 of 2,521
So late to the party......but now a proud owner of a Pendant OG AND have been plowing through the 60 pages of amazing information compiled here. Thank you to all who have contibuted!!
Purchased here on the B&S board, and it now has a new home in Hawaii.
It came with this tube set from the seller:
Input - RFT ECC81 12AT7
Power - Motorola (Golden) EL84
Rectifier - Amperex (Made in England) EZ81

It sounds really sweet. I run ROON upstream from a MacMini server --> Gungnir MB --> Lokius --> Pendant.
I had some initial hiss and noise...not passive tube noise, and by moving stuff around and purchasing a Monster HTS on eBay (thank you Zach).....all resolved.

I've been listening to a pair of HD800s' and it is pretty awesome. (My LCD-X's.....not so much). I will be asking opinions here soon as to what one might recommend in a ZMF hp (I know that Wes S likes the Atticus and VC).

Also, I've been running up a tab on some tubes (what an addiction.....)

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #896 of 2,521
So late to the party......but now a proud owner of a Pendant OG AND have been plowing through the 60 pages of amazing information compiled here. Thank you to all who have contibuted!!
Input - RFT ECC81 12AT7

It sounds really sweet. I run ROON upstream from a MacMini server --> Gungnir MB --> Lokius --> Pendant.
I had some initial hiss and noise...not passive tube noise, and by moving stuff around and purchasing a Monster HTS on eBay (thank you Zach).....all resolved.

I've been listening to a pair of HD800s' and it is pretty awesome. (My LCD-X's.....not so much). I will be asking opinions here soon as to what one might recommend in a ZMF hp (I know that Wes S likes the Atticus and VC).

Hey Monkey. Nice to see you on the board. Congrats with the fantastic amp and headphones!

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #897 of 2,521
Input - RFT ECC81 12AT7

Tube rolling is both the biggest advantage and biggest downside of owning a tube amp. Addiction is right!

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #899 of 2,521
I will be asking opinions here soon as to what one might recommend in a ZMF hp (I know that Wes S likes the Atticus and VC).
~ Any of the ZMF headphones are highly recommended. I own five of them: Aeolus, Atticus, Auteur (2), Eikon - although I do not own the Pendant h/p/a.
~ Aeolus/Atticus are ‘warm/punchy/fun’; Auteur/Eikon are more ‘neutral’ in balance and are not ‘clinical’. Aeolus and Auteur are open back, Atticus and Eikon are closedback.

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #900 of 2,521
Thanks for that....probably looking at at closed back...warm/punchy/fun sounds nice.....neutral and not "clinical" might be more for my liking.

I have played around quite a bit with the parametric EQ settings on Room, using some recommended EQ's from Chrono's on headphones.com. They really helped to take off a little bit of cymbal "shimmer" and snare drum "thwack" on the HD800's
....and made the LCD-X's much more listenable (on the Pendant
However, I would not try to tune a ZMF hp......not with the Pendant.

Earpad rolling lol??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back