ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
May 19, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #406 of 2,521
I am a product of the public schools so not a math wiz but the total combinations of rectifier, input and power tubes in that box must be a HUGE number!!!!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
LOL! Those aren't all of them either. :wink: I am so pumped to be able to really dial in the sound, with all those possible combos. The tricky part is trying to decide which combo to go with first. So far I am thinking of starting out with my "Heavy Hitters", the Hamburg Valvo 6201 Pinched Waist triple mica d getter (input), Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getters (power), and GEC U709 (rectifier). I have been dreaming of what this combo could do, and I have a feeling there will be some tears shed once I finally get to hear it.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #407 of 2,521
I have never been so excited about a piece of gear, as I am about getting the Pendant SE!

I've got my box full of killer NOS tubes ready to rock and roll. :smiley:

20210519_035836.jpg

Just checked the tracking and as long as Fedex keeps things moving, I should have it by Friday or Saturday at the latest. :fingers_crossed::smile::fingers_crossed:
You should start a tube rental service, I'll be your customer #1! :)

May 19, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #408 of 2,521
May 19, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #409 of 2,521
You should start a tube rental service, I'll be your customer #1! :)

I'd love a system like this actually. You put down a deposit for the tubes worth, maybe a little extra if it's ultra rare and you get to figure out what sound you like the most when dialed in. Relies on a good network of vetted people but would be an awesome idea!

May 19, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #410 of 2,521
I'd love a system like this actually. You put down a deposit for the tubes worth, maybe a little extra if it's ultra rare and you get to figure out what sound you like the most when dialed in. Relies on a good network of vetted people but would be an awesome idea!
I wouldn’t trust myself with someone else’s expensive tubes, knowing my luck, I’d end up breaking them with my amp somehow.

May 20, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #411 of 2,521
Woo hoo! Just got confirmation my Pendant SE is out for delivery. :o2smile: Gonna be a very fun weekend!

May 20, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #412 of 2,521
Woo hoo! Just got confirmation my Pendant SE is out for delivery. :o2smile: Gonna be a very fun weekend!
Wow, you are gonna get it the earliest possible, while I get all my ZMFs the latest possible.

May 20, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #413 of 2,521
Wow, you are gonna get it the earliest possible, while I get all my ZMFs the latest possible.
I guess I am lucky, but Fedex always delivers either on time or early in my area.

May 20, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #414 of 2,521
The Pendant SE has arrived! It's not Walnut Burl, which I specifically requested and was assured I would be getting, but it looks killer anyway.

Say hello to my new Pendant SE in Olive Wood Burl.

20210520_123358.jpg

I have to admit, it was a bit bitter sweet opening the case and seeing Olive Burl instead of Walnut. I have been dreaming of seeing the Walnut Burl in person for months now while waiting for my amp to be completed, so this was quite a shock.

I am sure the Olive will grow on me, but when you spend this kind of cash and are told you will be getting Walnut, it kind of hurts the soul a bit that I did not get what I paid for.

Either way, I can't wait to get home and plug this bad boy in. :o2smile:

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #415 of 2,521
Just checking back in to say ZMF are taking care of my issue, and I have a Walnut Burl base on the way. :grinning: Honestly, I love the Olive Burl, but Walnut Burl is what I had my mind set on, and thankfully this issue can be resolved with a hex key to lossen 4 screws and a new Walnut Burl base.

The good thing about ZMF, is they always take care of their customers and get them fixed up asap.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #416 of 2,521
Just checking back in to say ZMF are taking care of my issue, and I have a Walnut Burl base on the way. :grinning: Honestly, I love the Olive Burl, but Walnut Burl is what I had my mind set on, and thankfully this issue can be resolved with a hex key to lossen 4 screws and a new Walnut Burl base.

The good thing about ZMF, is they always take care of their customers and get them fixed up asap.
Mind if I buy that Olive base from you? I’d actually kind of want to match it with my VC, if I decide to keep them when the time comes. Unless you have to return the Olive.

May 20, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #417 of 2,521
Mind if I buy that Olive base from you? I’d actually kind of want to match it with my VC, if I decide to keep them when the time comes. Unless you have to return the Olive.
I am returning it once the Walnut Burl arrives, or I would be more than happy to sell it to you.

May 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #418 of 2,521
Pendant SE is fired up and running! :o2smile: Took a quick listen, and it has got some punch, but there is definitely some much needed burn in.

20210520_180413.jpg

For the first roll, I started with an input tube I am very familiar with, the CBS 7728. As for power tubes, I rolled in some Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getters with bottom codes (earliest version). Lastly, for the rectifier I went straight to the top and rolled in the famous G.E.C. U709.

Let the burn in begin!

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #419 of 2,521
New toy day! Going to spend time with the stock tubes for a bit to compare to my other tube amps (which will soon be sold). ZERO hum with volume maxed out which is what I was hoping for. The paperwork mentions the high Z being 300 ohm, but I'm guessing that just hasn't been updated since they're really 100 ohm. So glad I have nothing I really need to do today! So many comparisons I want to make and headphones to try out with it. Everything I own is 150 or 300 ohm. Really interested to see how it is with the HD 800 since I keep vacillating between selling or keeping them. This is by far the most expensive tube amp I've heard, and using the TT2 as a DAC, first impressions are simply that it's clearly on another level compared to all the others I've had.

Attachments

• IMG_5004D.jpeg
    IMG_5004D.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
May 20, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #420 of 2,521
I’m eager to hear impressions compared to my Bottlehead Crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back