ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
May 7, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #376 of 2,555
Glad you found the source! I had a bluetooth receiver right next to mine and it caused noise. As soon as I put the receiver on the other side of the desk, the noise went away.

May 7, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #377 of 2,555
They can be found for very good prices if you are diligent with your search. The older (better) versions seem to go for less, which is a big plus seeing as they sound better.

Here is an example of some of the better ones, at a very affordable price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-TESTED-...-/303888337651?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Here are some even earlier and perhaps first version with welded plates. The tubes in this listing don't match up as good, but here is some welded plates for reference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Tungsr...-/203222349112?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
The tubes I have must be newer than these, but man do they sound good! I'm also running a Philco 6CA4 rectifier that I picked up cheap. I'm not sure if it adds anything. I do know it doesn't take anything away LOL!

May 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #378 of 2,555
Now that I sold my Pendant OG, I'm looking at Auteurs LOL! This is not a hobby, it's a sickness! I love my VCs but the Auteurs where the first ZMFs to catch my eye and I still want to try them. I have the amp for them after all.

May 8, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #379 of 2,555
Now that I sold my Pendant OG, I'm looking at Auteurs LOL! This is not a hobby, it's a sickness! I love my VCs but the Auteurs where the first ZMFs to catch my eye and I still want to try them. I have the amp for them after all.
I’d say we could do a swap and borrow each other’s HP since I really want to try a VC, but I just sealed the deal with someone trying to sell their Olive LTD spot.

May 8, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #380 of 2,555
Nice! Those olive wood are beautiful!

May 8, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #381 of 2,555
I’m thinking of getting the Auteurs too. I’ve had two of them and I just can’t get over their polite nature. They are very subject to changes in your chain though so I think a well dialed in amp would tune it to my preferences and perhaps your own.

May 10, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #382 of 2,555
I’m thinking of getting the Auteurs too. I’ve had two of them and I just can’t get over their polite nature. They are very subject to changes in your chain though so I think a well dialed in amp would tune it to my preferences and perhaps your own.
If “polite” means ‘seen but not heard’ then I agree with your depiction of the Auteur...

May 11, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #383 of 2,555
Man, this wait is killing me! I was really hoping the estimated time frame was a bit exaggerated, but it is most definitely not. I know patience is a virtue, however I am starting to get so anxious thinking/hoping it is gonna ship any day now, that I can barely sit still. :fingers_crossed::fingers_crossed:

In the meantime, what's everyone's favorite driver tube at the moment? I think it could be cool to know what everyone is rolling, and enjoying.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #384 of 2,555
If “polite” means ‘seen but not heard’ then I agree with your depiction of the Auteur...

It's very neutral and doesn't call attention to itself. I am personally a flavored can person myself. I like warm, bassy cans with a open nature to them. I'm hoping I can tune the Auteur in that direction but they don't have any real sound to themselves except for a slight warmth in the mids.

May 14, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #385 of 2,555
Man, this wait is killing me! I was really hoping the estimated time frame was a bit exaggerated, but it is most definitely not. I know patience is a virtue, however I am starting to get so anxious thinking/hoping it is gonna ship any day now, that I can barely sit still. :fingers_crossed::fingers_crossed:

In the meantime, what's everyone's favorite driver tube at the moment? I think it could be cool to know what everyone is rolling, and enjoying.
Hmm. . .not much activity in this thread, so I guess I am not the only one still waiting. Really hoping to hear something/anything soon. :fingers_crossed:

May 14, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #386 of 2,555
Has anyone used ZMF cans and compared the Pendant to another amp and found they prefer the other amp?
Im trying to decide Pendant SE vs McIntosh MHA-200 vs other sinmilar price tube alternatives vs a solid state in similar price range. I havent heard any of these and they're scarce so Id be buying blind.
Ideally, this would be my only premium amp.

May 15, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #387 of 2,555
Has anyone used ZMF cans and compared the Pendant to another amp and found they prefer the other amp?
Im trying to decide Pendant SE vs McIntosh MHA-200 vs other sinmilar price tube alternatives vs a solid state in similar price range. I havent heard any of these and they're scarce so Id be buying blind.
Ideally, this would be my only premium amp.

That looks like a nice amp and from preliminary discussions about it it seems very transparent but it doesn't allow for many tube rolling options like the Pendant. The Pendant is usually described as a fast amp and a little more hard hitting while the 200 might be more transparent. Hard to compare as most people on this thread havent gotten their SE's in yet and Mcintosh isn't usually sending their amps in to be reviewed by online reviewers.

May 16, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #388 of 2,555
May 16, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #389 of 2,555
Also looks like ran out of walnut burl.

May 16, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #390 of 2,555

Users who are viewing this thread

Back