ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #781 of 2,555
Be it Pendant, RH-5, LTA MZ3, Woo WA2, Woo WA6…tube rolling is educational & fun…
wonderful combinations to encounter…first time / reunion…like traveling cross-country…a few potholes, but many stunning vistas…
I hear ya man! The beauty of the Pendant SE is the insane amount of different tube combos that are possible. I have been rolling pretty much non stop for the last 6 months of owning this amp, and I am still discovering new combos. The variety within the EL84 tube family for the power tubes is incredible and the 12A_7 family of input tubes is loaded with a bunch of different options as well. As for the rectifier, there are quite a few options for that one too, but for me it's a one and done with the G.E.C. U709. The Pendant SE can really keep a tube rolling addict content, and it's a blast trying new tubes looking for that special synergy or to fit my mood.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #782 of 2,555
Rolled back in some Funwerk EL84 Foil Getters, with a Funwerk ECC83 Foil Getter, and the G.E.C. U709, and this combo is it for transparency, speed, dynamics, and soundstage expansion. Sometimes a warm and inviting sound is nice (Sylvania), and other times it's nice to just be "there" (Funkwerk/RFT).

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #783 of 2,555
For those that have been using the RFT ECC81 Foil Getter, I am happy to report the RFT ECC83 Foil Getter has the same exact sound with a bit more pop and stronger dynamics. I have been avoiding the ECC83/12AX7 family of tubes thinking that they would just be too noisy due to the extra gain, but I am happy to report that is not the case at all, and I think I might even prefer the extra bit of punch and dynamics I am getting.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #784 of 2,555
For those that have been using the RFT ECC81 Foil Getter, I am happy to report the RFT ECC83 Foil Getter has the same exact sound with a bit more pop and stronger dynamics. I have been avoiding the ECC83/12AX7 family of tubes thinking that they would just be too noisy due to the extra gain, but I am happy to report that is not the case at all, and I think I might even prefer the extra bit of punch and dynamics I am getting.
May have to grab a pair and see how they play in the MJ2 lol

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #785 of 2,555
Rolled back in some Funwerk EL84 Foil Getters, with a Funwerk ECC83 Foil Getter, and the G.E.C. U709, and this combo is it for transparency, speed, dynamics, and soundstage expansion. Sometimes a warm and inviting sound is nice (Sylvania), and other times it's nice to just be "there" (Funkwerk/RFT).
I like the name Funkwerk…😜

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #786 of 2,555
I hear ya man! The beauty of the Pendant SE is the insane amount of different tube combos that are possible. I have been rolling pretty much non stop for the last 6 months of owning this amp, and I am still discovering new combos. The variety within the EL84 tube family for the power tubes is incredible and the 12A_7 family of input tubes is loaded with a bunch of different options as well. As for the rectifier, there are quite a few options for that one too, but for me it's a one and done with the G.E.C. U709. The Pendant SE can really keep a tube rolling addict content, and it's a blast trying new tubes looking for that special synergy or to fit my mood.
I agree with the “one and done” approach for the rectifier - it is the base for all that follows…literally and electrically…

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #787 of 2,555
The mention of the NOS tubes that come with the Pendant reminded me of a question: What's the verdict on whether the vintage tubes curated by ZMF/ampsandsound (which appear to be RFT, Baldwin, and Tungsram right now) are worth the $200 upcharge? Thanks!

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #788 of 2,555
The mention of the NOS tubes that come with the Pendant reminded me of a question: What's the verdict on whether the vintage tubes curated by ZMF/ampsandsound (which appear to be RFT, Baldwin, and Tungsram right now) are worth the $200 upcharge? Thanks
Knowing what I know now, I probably could have found the same tubes for a bit less given infinite time to search, and some luck. I was lucky enough to get yellow-tipped made-in-Japan Baldwin EL84s, and I have not seen another pair like that. If the current selection is Sylvania, those are pretty common and cheap. But, they are great tubes and an excellent upgrade from stock. They show off a completely different side of the Pendant; stock JJs are bright-ish, etchy, solid state-sounding; ZMF's NOS are smooth, richer and "tubier."

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #789 of 2,555
Since my RTF ECC81 foil getter seem stuck in NY, I am now looking for RFT or Funwerk ECC83 foil getters. I found plenty of halo and a few 'solid' getters but no foil yet................

EDIT: I snagged a Funkwert ECC83 from 1958 (?) production with the 'solid' getter and hope solid is indeed the foil version.

I'm pretty sure my ECC81 RFT's will now magically find their way from their extended time in NY and make their way into my mailbox!!!

EDIT #2 Just got an update from USPS that my RFT ECC82 foil geters have escaped from NY after 15 day and are now at least in my state!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Buying the Funwerk ECC83 did the trick and I will now have the 12AT7 and 12AX7.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #790 of 2,555
Since my RTF ECC81 foil getter seem stuck in NY, I am now looking for RFT or Funwerk ECC83 foil getters. I found plenty of halo and a few 'solid' getters but no foil yet................

EDIT: I snagged a Funkwert ECC83 from 1958 (?) production with the 'solid' getter and hope solid is indeed the foil version.

I'm pretty sure my ECC81 RFT's will now magically find their way from their extended time in NY and make their way into my mailbox!!!

EDIT #2 Just got an update from USPS that my RFT ECC82 foil geters have escaped from NY after 15 day and are now at least in my state!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Buying the Funwerk ECC83 did the trick and I will now have the 12AT7 and 12AX7.
Nice! I am actually running a Funwerk ECC83 from 58' with the single getter arm and it's got the foil getter (I could see it being called solid). USPS might take a long time, but all my packages have eventually been delivered.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #791 of 2,555
So, I rolled back in the Sylvania 6BQ5 Black Plates, and I am really really digging them. I currently have them paired up with a Funwerk ECC83 Foil Getter 58', and combined with the Sylvania I am getting the best of both worlds from these 2 very different sounding tube brands. The Sylvania's have excellent bass with head bobbing PRAT and the vocals and instruments are intimate and lifelike, then combine all that with the expansive, fast and highly detailed Funwerk ECC83, and the sound has just the right amount of warmth and detail with a killer holographic stage. The Sylvania 6BQ5 Black Plates are a fantastic power tube and really play well to the strengths of the Pendant, so they get an easy recommendation from me. :grin:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #792 of 2,555
The mention of the NOS tubes that come with the Pendant reminded me of a question: What's the verdict on whether the vintage tubes curated by ZMF/ampsandsound (which appear to be RFT, Baldwin, and Tungsram right now) are worth the $200 upcharge? Thanks!
My thoughts on this are that if you are new to tubes, or just don't want to take a gamble on finding quiet and good testing tubes on ebay, then the $200 upcharge is worth it. I could easily source those same tubes for a bit cheaper, but I also would not have the guarantee they will actually test good and be quiet ( I trust ZMF more than any tube dealer out there). Assuming ZMF is checking for noise in a Pendant before shipping the tubes, that alone is worth some extra money right there. So, with that said I could see the NOS tube set from ZMF being a great choice, but it's also a bit of a gamble not knowing what tubes you will actually get. I will say having a quiet set of tubes is a revelation with the Pendant, and starting out with a quiet set could be a big plus while getting a feel for the amps sound. I am not sure if ZMF does this, but it would be cool if you could pick the brand of tubes for the NOS set. I know Woo Audio sells NOS tubes, and you can pick what you want which is quite cool, but they jack up the prices way too much. It would be cool to see something like that offered from ZMF, but with better pricing. . .

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #793 of 2,555
My thoughts on this are that if you are new to tubes, or just don't want to take a gamble on finding quiet and good testing tubes on ebay, then the $200 upcharge is worth it. I could easily source those same tubes for a bit cheaper, but I also would not have the guarantee they will actually test good and be quiet ( I trust ZMF more than any tube dealer out there). Assuming ZMF is checking for noise in a Pendant before shipping the tubes, that alone is worth some extra money right there. So, with that said I could see the NOS tube set from ZMF being a great choice, but it's also a bit of a gamble not knowing what tubes you will actually get. I will say having a quiet set of tubes is a revelation with the Pendant, and starting out with a quiet set could be a big plus while getting a feel for the amps sound. I am not sure if ZMF does this, but it would be cool if you could pick the brand of tubes for the NOS set. I know Woo Audio sells NOS tubes, and you can pick what you want which is quite cool, but they jack up the prices way too much. It would be cool to see something like that offered from ZMF, but with better pricing. . .
Thanks, Wes!

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #794 of 2,555
Oct 28, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #795 of 2,555
Nice! I am actually running a Funwerk ECC83 from 58' with the single getter arm and it's got the foil getter (I could see it being called solid). USPS might take a long time, but all my packages have eventually been delivered.
My package with 3 RFT foil getter ECC81 finally arrived and all 3 test OK with plate to plate within 15% on 2 tubes and the 3rd near identical readings, plate to plate.

My single 1958 ECC83 RFT, Funkwert Erfurt foil getter is in route and I should have it soon!

I'll have time to listen tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back