ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #2,131 of 2,619
I think @haasaaroni had a similar experience with a pair he has. Maybe they all vary a bit, because from the get go these kind of blew me away, with no real negatives. We'll see if anything changes as I play them but hopefully nothing drastic.
I’m listening now. The Valvo sounds spectacular! No hot or spicy or harsh or fatiguing treble any more! I think this has taken over the top spot. Thanks guys for the Valvo discussions. If I hadn’t read those, I wouldn’t have bought this stellar tube.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #2,132 of 2,619
Yeah the difference between my first pair of Valvos (also your first pair) and the ones I have now was pretty noticeable too for some reason, just like you experienced. The soundstage was more expansive, there was slightly more detail at the expense of a little bit of naturalness, and the bass went deeper and hit harder. My current pair initially had a bit of brightness somewhere around 6k though, not the shoutiness of the 2K region, which I’m really sensitive to. I can’t tell if it’s smoothed out now or if I acclimated to it. Could be unit variation, or just how these tubes change with use.

Regardless, they truly have an amazing sound! Especially for electric guitars. It feels like the guitar is right there in front of me.
The variations might be because it is one of the first EL84 ever made and the manufacturing processes were new???? Guessing here. What I do know is the pair I have sound spectacular. Deep tight bass, excellent mids, sparkling highs and huge holographic sound stage. Compared to the welded plate foil disk getter Tungsram, the Valvo has deeper and tighter bass. Mids and highs are comparable. Clarity and detail goes to the Valvo. Sound stage also goes to the Valvo. This is saying a lot because prior to this, I thought nothing would beat the rare Tungsram but I was wrong. Both are without a doubt top tier tubes worth their prices.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #2,133 of 2,619
I’m listening now. The Valvo sounds spectacular! No hot or spicy or harsh or fatiguing treble any more! I think this has taken over the top spot. Thanks guys for the Valvo discussions. If I hadn’t read those, I wouldn’t have bought this stellar tube.
Gotta thank @robo24 for the rec for them. I was sitting pretty with my Amperex square getters until he suggested I check them out, and the Valvo contagion spread from there! Apparently they were all the talk on the Tuba forum.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #2,134 of 2,619
The variations might be because it is one of the first EL84 ever made and the manufacturing processes were new???? Guessing here. What I do know is the pair I have sound spectacular. Deep tight bass, excellent mids, sparkling highs and huge holographic sound stage. Compared to the welded plate foil disk getter Tungsram, the Valvo has deeper and tighter bass. Mids and highs are comparable. Clarity and detail goes to the Valvo. Sound stage also goes to the Valvo. This is saying a lot because prior to this, I thought nothing would beat the rare Tungsram but I was wrong. Both are without a doubt top tier tubes worth their prices.
Now you gotta find a pair of the ultra rare welded plate foil disc getter Valvo EL84’s (rXA - Sittard) 😉

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #2,135 of 2,619
Now you gotta find a pair of the ultra rare welded plate foil disc getter Valvo EL84’s (rXA - Sittard) 😉
Haha I think you’re on your own with those. I’d be curious to hear if you are someday able to compare your Sottards with the earlier Hamburgs though.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #2,136 of 2,619
Pendant SE is fired up and running! :o2smile: Took a quick listen, and it has got some punch, but there is definitely some much needed burn in.

For the first roll, I started with an input tube I am very familiar with, the CBS 7728. As for power tubes, I rolled in some Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getters with bottom codes (earliest version). Lastly, for the rectifier I went straight to the top and rolled in the famous G.E.C. U709.

Let the burn in begin!
All this Valvo talk sure brought back some memories, and my first roll ever in the Pendant SE was a pair of the earliest version Dish Getters. Looking at that pick in my post above, I had forgotten my first base was Olive Burl and it looked cool as heck, but I think the Walnut still looks better. Amazing how much my system has changed since then (May 20 2021). . .and that was fun taking a trip down memory lane.

Long live those Valvos fellas!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,137 of 2,619
All this Valvo talk sure brought back some memories, and my first roll ever in the Pendant SE was a pair of the earliest version Dish Getters. Looking at that pick in my post above, I had forgotten my first base was Olive Burl and it looked cool as heck, but I think the Walnut still looks better. Amazing how much my system has changed since then (May 20 2021). . .and that was fun taking a trip down memory lane.

Long live those Valvos fellas!
I think that olive burl looks awesome. The Walnut burl looks fabulous too, but probably because it's de facto for the SE and it's everywhere, seeing different base options is a treat :)

It is always a trip down memory lane as to how one's system evolves. I find it goes in phases for me. Sometimes I'll be in full upgrade mode and my system will be significantly different than it was even 6 months ago. What I find just as interesting is if my system remains largely intact for a long period of time (as it has now). It means I've reached a point of contentment and not seeing (or needing) a clear path forward. It's good to take time to enjoy and appreciate where you were, where you are and what you already have! The Pendant is a big part of that. I think about upgrading, but I've had lots of amps before, and the Pendant is hands-down a great amp.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,138 of 2,619
Gotta thank @robo24 for the rec for them. I was sitting pretty with my Amperex square getters until he suggested I check them out, and the Valvo contagion spread from there! Apparently they were all the talk on the Tuba forum.
Curious about the Amperex. How do you find they compare with the Valvos?

Apr 28, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #2,139 of 2,619
Curious about the Amperex. How do you find they compare with the Valvos?
I hear them softer, bassier, and a little fuzzier. They’re just not as tactile and precise. Stage is a little smaller too. But they have an amazing tone and I do love their bass. They kind of turn the Pendant into a less neutral amp, but the Valvo’s turn it toward the amp’s natural voicing.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #2,140 of 2,619
I hear them softer, bassier, and a little fuzzier. They’re just not as tactile and precise. Stage is a little smaller too. But they have an amazing tone and I do love their bass. They kind of turn the Pendant into a less neutral amp, but the Valvo’s turn it toward the amp’s natural voicing.
Thanks for the feedback. Always nice to get impressions without having to buy to try! :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,141 of 2,619
We’ll have a comparison between the 54’ Hamburg and 54’ Sittard Valvo soon. I sent my pair of Hamburg to @shwnwllms. He’s going to compare the two and report back. Stay tuned….

Also, my new LTD Olive wood Atrium Closed are supposed to arrive tomorrow! Really wish I didn’t have a 14 hour workday tomorrow 🙁

Apr 30, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,142 of 2,619
We’ll have a comparison between the 54’ Hamburg and 54’ Sittard Valvo soon. I sent my pair of Hamburg to @shwnwllms. He’s going to compare the two and report back. Stay tuned….

Also, my new LTD Olive wood Atrium Closed are supposed to arrive tomorrow! Really wish I didn’t have a 14 hour workday tomorrow 🙁
Woah! Awesomeness all around! Waiting will make it all the more satisfying when you finally plug those ‘phones in 😎

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,143 of 2,619
Nice.....

May 4, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #2,144 of 2,619
I just accidentally won an auction for a G73-R on eBay for a pretty darn good deal (from hanoitubes). I didn't think I'd actually get it! So...keep your eyes peeled if in the coming months I realize I'll never need another one of these tubes and I decide to sell it :sweat_smile:

May 4, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #2,145 of 2,619
I just accidentally won an auction for a G73-R on eBay for a pretty darn good deal (from hanoitubes). I didn't think I'd actually get it! So...keep your eyes peeled if in the coming months I realize I'll never need another one of these tubes and I decide to sell it :sweat_smile:
Lol, I had my eye on that one. You did get it for a pretty good price. Seems like he's got an auction ending every few days. He must have a ton.

I won one a few days ago. This will be my second go around with this tube, hopefully I like this one better than the first. I already like the cool looking label better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back