ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #2,191 of 2,414
Note the output voltage from Ferrum Wandla: 9.3V balanced, 4.65V unbalanced. More than 2x the 'norm' in each case !! Be certain that your amplifier can take that output. EDIT: or an attenuator is needed (more stuff in the chain 😒)
How can I check the max input voltage or my amp? I have a Feliks Euforia and I’m not sure if there is any info on that available. I’d assume it’s the max input voltage of the driver tubes but I’m no expert in tube amp design (only solid state and RF design 😉)

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #2,193 of 2,414
If you are letting your TT2 go, what would you be willing to part with it for?
I'm not sure yet. Similar to what other ones go for I imagine.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #2,194 of 2,414
As much as I want a TT2, I’m only seeing them around $4k at the least and I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a DAC (yet). I also have to wonder how much better the FPGA implementation of filter taps sounds than a fully digital implementation done through Roon or HQPlayer. It’s it really worth it for hardware implemented filter coefficients when software can give you more of them than the M-Scaler for cheaper?
My vote would certainly be "no" given my choice of Holo May + HQPlayer. BUT, I would point out that going this route ties you to your pc/laptop in perpetuity in order to leverage its processing power for upscaling - which means you can't count on oversampling for a streamer, CD transport, etc. If you're fine with that, I would suggest Holo is the better option. But if you want more options, Chord, Denafrips, or Rockna might be better suited.

(*edit: I think Rockna's built-in oversampling is considered competent, though I am not sure about Denafrips. Chord is obviously famous for theirs, but at a considerable cost)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #2,196 of 2,414
Note the output voltage from Ferrum Wandla: 9.3V balanced, 4.65V unbalanced. More than 2x the 'norm' in each case !! Be certain that your amplifier can take that output. EDIT: or an attenuator is needed (more stuff in the chain 😒
Ferrum is going to add in the 1.3V update the ability to choose between 2V and 4V. So hopefully that helps.

Wandla is a really good sounding dac. Especially for its size.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #2,197 of 2,414
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #2,198 of 2,414

Testing with the ZMF's tonight!! 😁
OK, so I've tried the SE300 with the Atrium Closed, and Verite Open. Both are pretty good. You can tell it doesn't have the full power of a desktop Amp, but for a portable player I am pretty impressed. It really does sound good for such a little guy.

Pros: Very smooth and relaxed sound. Great detail overall. Can't state relaxed enough. Just grooves.

Cons: Lacks hard bass impact. Bass is still present, and very good. Just doesn't have the weight I like off the desktop setup. Top end retrieval could be slightly stronger. This might be a characteristic of the R2R dac, but I don't have much experience with them. This is my first R2R.

So far I like the AC better on it, as it has more bass, but more to come. Testing Caldera tonight.

1000025430.jpg

And this too. 😁

1000025428.jpg

Side note, do you all have a favorite bourbon or drink while you ZMF it up?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #2,199 of 2,414
OK, so I've tried the SE300 with the Atrium Closed, and Verite Open. Both are pretty good. You can tell it doesn't have the full power of a desktop Amp, but for a portable player I am pretty impressed. It really does sound good for such a little guy.

Pros: Very smooth and relaxed sound. Great detail overall. Can't state relaxed enough. Just grooves.

Cons: Lacks hard bass impact. Bass is still present, and very good. Just doesn't have the weight I like off the desktop setup. Top end retrieval could be slightly stronger. This might be a characteristic of the R2R dac, but I don't have much experience with them. This is my first R2R.

So far I like the AC better on it, as it has more bass, but more to come. Testing Caldera tonight.

1000025430.jpg

And this too. 😁

1000025428.jpg

Side note on DAPs: My Sony Walkman WM1A (running Mr. Walkman firmware with higher gain) does a very nice job driving my ZMFs (all dynamic drivers).

More importantly, my favorite drink with ZMF listening: Glenmorangie Signet (it’s darker than what’s shown here, I think that’s Glenmorangie 19 years old). 🥃 😝

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #2,200 of 2,414
Alrighty folks - the BOKEH pads are finally on the site, for the Atrium closed the "suede" BOKEH pad works as a great alternative and middle ground between the Lambskin and Suede Caldera. Alternatively we also have the BOKEH mesh which works on all closed ZMF's available too if you want to damp down any treble energy in any of our closed models:

BOKEH and other pads: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads

Titan Mesh: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/diy/products/acoustic-titan-mesh?variant=43950487175331

Also - the Cayin RU7 is in stock and now listed. If you bought a headphone from us and want this little guy, send us an email for $40 off coupon code.

Cayin RU7: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/amps-dacs

We also have a couple brand new C9 units available for a great price if you want to hit me up!

_DSC2538.jpg_DSC2546.jpg_DSC2581.jpg_DSC2590.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 26, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #2,201 of 2,414

And this too. 😁

If you are interested in portable solutions for ZMF stuff: Cayin n8ii, sounds rather close to my 30kg Holo desktop setup, which is very impressive and Ibasso 320 Max is just a portable high end amp dac with very airy and wide sound signature that theoretically could fit in your pocket :)

Jan 26, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #2,203 of 2,414
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #2,205 of 2,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back