ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 6, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #406 of 2,414
Question on Verite Open vs Atrium Open. Wavetheory mentioned that the Atrium got fatiguing to him for rock/classic rock. I realize he is a subjective reviewer, but I’m wondering if anyone else had the same experience?
Its very subjective, but Atrium is far more relaxed listen than the rather fast VO with its more noticeable treble. Its much more conservativly tuned headphone aswell. I can listen to my Atrium for hours without any fatigue, listening to a lot of metal and rock.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #407 of 2,414
Question on Verite Open vs Atrium Open. Wavetheory mentioned that the Atrium got fatiguing to him for rock/classic rock. I realize he is a subjective reviewer, but I’m wondering if anyone else had the same experience?
I find the Atrium treble to be smoother than the Verite. The Verite to my ears has just a slight hint of metallic hardness, a byproduct of the metal coated driver. The Atrium's biocellulose drivers are extremely smooth and natural sounding. All my opinion of course!

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #408 of 2,414
Nope!

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #410 of 2,414
I do think that if you're quite sensitive to more forward upper mids then the Atrium could be fatiguing. I think WaveTheory has mentioned that he's pretty sensitive to the 1-3k area so I think that plays a big part in why he prefers the VO to the Atrium

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #411 of 2,414
To me the Atriums are smooth sounding headphones, smoother than Verité. But that's not a surprise as Wavetheory's taste and opinions are usually quite different to mine.

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #412 of 2,414
I think this depends on a several factors, most notably each listeners sensitivity to upper mids/lower treble and listening levels. *side note, I listen loud*

I didn't have any issues with the Cherry demo unit I originally had. It was initially installed with the solid mesh, but Zach sent out the finalized mesh and I swapped it on. I noticed a little bump in the upper mids/lower treble, but it didn't really bother me so I kept it on until I returned it. When I got my personal set in Macassar Ebony, I was getting some fatigue listening to rock/metal. So I ended up putting the solid mesh on and that dialed it in. Problem solved.

I've never had any fatigue from the VO. Ever.

I do think that if you're quite sensitive to more forward upper mids then the Atrium could be fatiguing. I think WaveTheory has mentioned that he's pretty sensitive to the 1-3k area so I think that plays a big part in why he prefers the VO to the Atrium
Nailed it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #413 of 2,414
I've also heard of people finding the Atrium - and particularly the Atrium Closed - fatiguing at first but after burn-in they no longer found it fatiguing. I was surprised when I found the Atrium Closed at CanJam Chicago somewhat harsh with a lot of the rock and metal I listen to, considering I don't find my 6XXs fatiguing even though they also have forward upper mids. However, I think the fatigue I experienced at CanJam was probably partly due to listening at a higher volume than usual due to the loud environment, and also could be that the unit I tried wasn't burnt in, and I'm also not sure what pads and mesh (if any) were on the unit

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #414 of 2,414
I've also heard of people finding the Atrium - and particularly the Atrium Closed - fatiguing at first but after burn-in they no longer found it fatiguing. I was surprised when I found the Atrium Closed at CanJam Chicago somewhat harsh with a lot of the rock and metal I listen to, considering I don't find my 6XXs fatiguing even though they also have forward upper mids. However, I think the fatigue I experienced at CanJam was probably partly due to listening at a higher volume than usual due to the loud environment, and also could be that the unit I tried wasn't burnt in, and I'm also not sure what pads and mesh (if any) were on the unit
Curious, what kind of wood was it? I found my Redwood Burl super smooth from the get go.

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #415 of 2,414
I think for someone who finds the Atrium forward at all in the 1-3K area solid titan mesh would alleviate any of that - also remember the auteur pads are more laid back there too.

That doesn't mean the Verite wouldn't be a better fit, if you're looking for speed with a laid back signature that is slightly exciting as mentioned above though it's a less "conservative" tuning.

I think it can be tough to work through reviewer statements who aren't interacting with me/ZMF regarding trying things like mesh or different pads to suit their tastes like a typical owner would.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 6, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #416 of 2,414
Curious, what kind of wood was it? I found my Redwood Burl super smooth from the get go.
I want to say it was the harder olivewood version? It was my first time trying ZMFs and didn't have too much knowledge about their offerings at the time so I could be wrong since it was a lot to take in being in a room with so many beautiful stabilized and limited wood versions of their headphones haha

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #417 of 2,414
Haven’t listened to VO but AO is my daily driver and I’ve never had fatigue with them. They’re very easy to listen to. In fact, they’re my go to early in the morning or late at night when I want something relatively more relaxed.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #418 of 2,414
Atrium Open, paired with a tube amp, is my absolute favorite for rock (of all kinds). I lack the audiophile vocabulary to describe how it renders electric guitar and drums but listening to AC/DC Thunderstruck is so so fun!

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #419 of 2,414
Stoked about any possible B-stock release of the olive wood Atrium Closed I listened to at canjam last year. I missed my window to buy at the intro release last Spring. I'm doin my best to wait for 11/10 although I've had the credit card out twice for the AC lava ash, and am trying my best to convince myself not to wait for the AC stabilized release (all advise appreciated). Came on here to request all of you ZMF fans leave me one of those Olive woods so I can join the club!

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #420 of 2,414
Hats off to the master craftsman Zach, my new purple ash AC it’s just stunning! You really need to put them into strong light to see them in their full glory. A work of art. Check out the difference between normal room lighting and sunlight. The color and vibrancy in the sun is stunning.

Attachments​

• IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1437.jpeg
    IMG_1437.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back