ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Nov 24, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #1,112 of 2,414
My wallet cries along I picked up Altin, it's my first stabilized set but I liked that it looked like a mountain range with sunset hitting it. Also reading wheel of time and just read the veins of gold part and the part of the right cup kind of reminds me of it. Lot of good sets though and some that I like lasted a while but this one seemed to resonate with me.

1700836729533.png
1700836902971.png
I don't have the budget for them but Altin is my favorite looking from the stabilized ACs and might even be my favorite of everything from this ZMF November! Congrats!

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,114 of 2,414
Shocked at some of the still available AC! If someone wants to gift me a Rigoletto or a Clouseau I’ll gladly accept 🙃
Same for the AO. My 2 favorites are still available. 😮

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,115 of 2,414
1700844337083.png

And then there were two! Caldera kinda popular I think…

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #1,116 of 2,414
I was quick on the draw and got the only Atrium Closed I was looking at - the Negroni. Also ordered the Homage. I spend quite a bit of time with the AC and the Homage at CanJam Dallas, and paired with the Grand Silver Palladium cable, which I bought at Dallas, it was wonderful for my musical taste.

I hate you.

*Not really - congratulations!*

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,117 of 2,414
Raging.

An issue at work meant I missed the start. By the time I had got to it everything I wanted had gone.

So incredibly annoyed.

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #1,118 of 2,414
Raging.

An issue at work meant I missed the start. By the time I had got to it everything I wanted had gone.

So incredibly annoyed.
Should have taken the day off. But now you’ve learned your lesson and will get your priorities straight next time.

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,119 of 2,414
Should have taken the day off. But now you’ve learned your lesson and will get your priorities straight next time.
Headphones > everything else? I can abide by that! Truth be told though I know the feeling, my first pick for the B stock sale went poof cause I had a customer right when the site went live.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,123 of 2,414
Does it have any pressure ? I don't know how to explain it, but with Audeze, its almost like your under water, having pressure build up. That's my only scare with planars, which could be totally wrong and it only happens with Audeze.

There's none of this with the Caldera. It's not a common issue with planars. It's just a function of the way Audeze designs some of its headphones.

Audeze uses a firm seal, with the pads pressed firmly against the side of the head - and with the pads being solid rather than perforated - so that air doesn't escape under or around the pads, which makes it possible for Audeze to get the bass to go deep and be robust. It's for this reason that people have commented on the sound of crinkling on the drivers when putting on the headphones (or pressing on the earcup, which they shouldn't do). Audeze has explained this (see here):

Since air is trapped between your head and the diaphragm it creates a pressure zone, and as the headphones shift with movement you may hear a slight crinkling sound from the diaphragm. This is a normal occurrence with planar magnetic drivers and is nothing to be concerned about, it’s the sound of the thin diaphragm moving back and forth with the changes in air pressure.

Sometimes as the driver film stretches slightly with age, the sound can become more apparent, and sometimes it may also lessen again. This is mostly influenced by factors in your environment (such as temperature and humidity), and we don’t have control over whether or not this occurs.

We recommend exercising certain cautions when handling planar magnetic headphones: trapped air can create high pressure and sudden pressure changes could damage the diaphragms, and this is not covered by warranty. When you put the headphones on or take them off, it’s not a good idea to press them hard and fast against the head, so we recommend slow and steady movement to allow the air pressure to stabilize.

Again, there's no pressure like this with the Caldera. Nor is there with many other planars, e.g. HifiMan ones, which are much more open and airy sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back