ZMF Classic MK3 - discussion and impressions
Apr 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #91 of 110
Yeah, for the price these things really are awesome. I am still kinda blown away how easily they best the HD600/650 in most respects.

I have written up some thoughts on the Classic and Atticus a few pages back. I own both. The short of it is that the Atticus are in a different league....microdetails, separation, soundstage and imaging, dynamics, extension, timbre, all are *much* better on the Atticus. Let me know if you have specific questions about the two. I listen to both just about every day (Classic at the office, Atticus at home).

Awesome thanks a ton. First, how does the treble quantity and quality compare between the two? Second, how would you rank their comparative comfort?

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #92 of 110
Both have laid back treble, but the Atticus is the darker of the two for sure. In spite of that, the Atticus has much much cleaner and better separated/extended treble. Even though they are dark headphones and tuned for a low-end focus, I think the treble being so non-fatiguing but still so clear is one of the things that makes the Atticus special. The Classics can't really compete to be honest, there is a notable lack of stage size/extension/detail in a direct comparison. Part of this is due to having a better driver, part of it is that the cups on the Atticus are just way more spacious than the T50RP cups. On the note of comfort, the Classics are pretty portable, I wouldn't have an issue wearing them on the bus (a plane might be a bit too close quarters). The Atticus are bigger, heavier, and more spacious with thicker pads. The weight distribution is good, it's not like you feel the weight on the back of your neck like old Audezes, but they stick out from your head quite a ways. They are definitely NOT portable the way the Classics are.

May 21, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #94 of 110
How do the Classics sound on a hybrid tube amp? I want to eventually upgrade from my FiiO e10k and get a schiit modi 3, vali 2 and a better pair of headphones.

I have a Vali 2. It does okay with the Classics, doesn't do anything wrong per se but isn't very engaging, even with upgraded tubes. If you can swing a bit more money, I really recommend the CTH+SDAC from Massdrop (also a hybrid). The synergy with the Classics is just awesome and there's plenty of power to spare.

edit: as far as DAC goes, SDAC or Modi 3, I will leave that up to you. I am a fan of the SDAC, haven't heard the Modi 3 but I'm also a big fan of Schiit DACs in general. But I really strongly recommend the Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) as being a killer amp for the Classics.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #95 of 110
Greetings and many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I'm a new Head-Fi member who purchased a set of balanced Classics based on all the helpful information you've shared previously. In addition to all that's been submitted so far, I thought I'd add my experience. Not much I can say about the sound signature of the Classics that hasn't already been said better by others, but one thing worth sharing is the amp dependency these cans display. I upgraded from a Schiit Magni to a Jotunheim in preparation for the arrival of the Classics (which, incidentally, took 10 weeks to ship). After reading all the forums I was aware of their power-hungry nature and figured the Jot had plenty of juice to drive them well. I received both the amp and headphones around the same time. I gave the ZMFs about 72 hours of burn-in with pink noise before settling in for my first listening session, and I was underwhelmed. The vaunted sub-bass was there, but was coupled with bloated mid-bass that bled well into the midrange. Treble response was almost non-existent, and overall the Classics sounded dull, lifeless and lacking any definition. I tried my best to like them but couldn't get past these faults. I made the reluctant decision to sell the Classic on whenever I got around to it.

A few weeks later I ended up exchanging the Jot, and then returning that replacement, due to noise issues with the built-in phono module (story for another day :jecklinsmile:). I replaced it with a Cayin iha-6, and figured I'd give the Classics another shot before listing them on eBay. Holy Schnikes, what a difference! The mid-bass bleed was totally minimized, the sub-bass was well defined, the mids were clear and warm, imaging and clarity were markedly improved, and there was actual treble response to speak of. The Cayin amp totally transformed the listening experience, and now I totally get what everyone has been saying about the Classics.

I'm not an engineer and am also total noob, and thus have no explanation for why one high-power SS amp would so drastically outperform another. Seriously, it went from "These things are so disappointing" to "I love these friggin cans!" overnight. Power and output impedance, which from my very limited experience make a big difference in amp/headphone pairing, are similar enough to eliminate them as the reasons. Since I benefitted so much from the collective wisdom of the Head-Fi membership I figured I'd relay my experience in case others were to walk a similar path. Interested if anyone else has had similar experiences, or has some knowledge they can drop on me to explain the "why".

Thanks again, now (finally) enjoying the heck out these!

May 25, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #96 of 110
Treble response was almost non-existent...

I haven't looked into the amps enough to know why there's such a difference - but if anyone who owns a set of classics wants more treble - there is some frontal damping on them that can be removed, just take the piece of foam out and the classics will be a touch brighter!

Glad you're enjoying them, could just be they got burned in more?

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 27, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #97 of 110
Greetings and many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I'm a new Head-Fi member who purchased a set of balanced Classics based on all the helpful information you've shared previously. In addition to all that's been submitted so far, I thought I'd add my experience. Not much I can say about the sound signature of the Classics that hasn't already been said better by others, but one thing worth sharing is the amp dependency these cans display. I upgraded from a Schiit Magni to a Jotunheim in preparation for the arrival of the Classics (which, incidentally, took 10 weeks to ship). After reading all the forums I was aware of their power-hungry nature and figured the Jot had plenty of juice to drive them well. I received both the amp and headphones around the same time. I gave the ZMFs about 72 hours of burn-in with pink noise before settling in for my first listening session, and I was underwhelmed. The vaunted sub-bass was there, but was coupled with bloated mid-bass that bled well into the midrange. Treble response was almost non-existent, and overall the Classics sounded dull, lifeless and lacking any definition. I tried my best to like them but couldn't get past these faults. I made the reluctant decision to sell the Classic on whenever I got around to it.

A few weeks later I ended up exchanging the Jot, and then returning that replacement, due to noise issues with the built-in phono module (story for another day :jecklinsmile:). I replaced it with a Cayin iha-6, and figured I'd give the Classics another shot before listing them on eBay. Holy Schnikes, what a difference! The mid-bass bleed was totally minimized, the sub-bass was well defined, the mids were clear and warm, imaging and clarity were markedly improved, and there was actual treble response to speak of. The Cayin amp totally transformed the listening experience, and now I totally get what everyone has been saying about the Classics.

I'm not an engineer and am also total noob, and thus have no explanation for why one high-power SS amp would so drastically outperform another. Seriously, it went from "These things are so disappointing" to "I love these friggin cans!" overnight. Power and output impedance, which from my very limited experience make a big difference in amp/headphone pairing, are similar enough to eliminate them as the reasons. Since I benefitted so much from the collective wisdom of the Head-Fi membership I figured I'd relay my experience in case others were to walk a similar path. Interested if anyone else has had similar experiences, or has some knowledge they can drop on me to explain the "why".

This makes me wonder how they would sound a DarkVoice 336SE

May 27, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #98 of 110
This makes me wonder how they would sound a DarkVoice 336SE

Like crap. The Darkvoice is an OTL tube amp outputting high voltage and low current at a high impedance which is optimized for high impedance dynamics exclusively. The Classic are planars which are low impedance demand an even lower output impedance and high current to sound their best. Definitely not a good match.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #100 of 110
Anyone have a chance to compare the Classics to Argons? Curious what people think.
Have not directly compared the two, but I have read a lot about it. The general consensus is that the argon and classics sound very, very similar. But the argons have even more bass than the classics. Which already has a lot. The big difference between them is the connections they have.

May 28, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #101 of 110
Have not directly compared the two, but I have read a lot about it. The general consensus is that the argon and classics sound very, very similar. But the argons have even more bass than the classics. Which already has a lot. The big difference between them is the connections they have.

Like you I have read a bunch, and one thing I routinely see is, people love the soundstage on the Argons compared to the Classics. I wonder if it's as different as they make it out to be.

May 28, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #103 of 110
I haven't looked into the amps enough to know why there's such a difference - but if anyone who owns a set of classics wants more treble - there is some frontal damping on them that can be removed, just take the piece of foam out and the classics will be a touch brighter!

Glad you're enjoying them, could just be they got burned in more?

Hi Zach! I had about 100 hours on them through the Jot, and no additional listening time before the Cayin made its debut, so burn-in isn't a factor. Either something about the Schiit wasn't delivering, or the Cayin/Classics pairing is particularly strong. Given the other issues I had with multiple Jots I suspect the latter. Not hating on Schiit, as I have a Magni and couple of Modis in the rotation and they've performed quite well.

I've not had an opportunity to hear the Argons but have read the same things on bass response and imaging/soundstage. I personally find the sub and mid bass quite strong on the Classics and wouldn't think more of it would be better. I also really enjoy the imaging on the Classics; soundstage isn't quite as wide as what I get from my 6XX but instruments are very accurately placed and stable.

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #104 of 110
I just received a pair of these off the forum. I am running an Asgard 3 with Multibit DAC and a Venus Audio cable. I did not love my Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 OHM) with the Asgard 3. It is not brightness as much as a sharp edge (too resolving?) At louder volume listening, it hurts. I do love the Beyers with my La Figaro 332C and I do like(not calling it love, yet) the ZMFs with the Asgard. I am fairly minimalist in general and not sure which pair to keep. I will have a LOT of FUN deciding.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #105 of 110
I just received a pair of these off the forum. I am running an Asgard 3 with Multibit DAC and a Venus Audio cable. I did not love my Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 OHM) with the Asgard 3. It is not brightness as much as a sharp edge (too resolving?) At louder volume listening, it hurts. I do love the Beyers with my La Figaro 332C and I do like(not calling it love, yet) the ZMFs with the Asgard. I am fairly minimalist in general and not sure which pair to keep. I will have a LOT of FUN deciding.

You could try suede ovals to tame the highs a bit. I am not sure if ZMF have measured the differences but It might be worth seeing a few graphs if anyone has the resources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back