ZMF Classic MK3 - discussion and impressions
Feb 23, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #76 of 110
do you think the cth brings the mids closer to the hd650?

No, farther away if anything. More open and clear, whereas the HD650 is thick and smooth. That thick and smooth tonality is unique to the 650, at least at this price range. That said, I think the mids are the Classics main selling point and are, in my experience, unmatched at this price. Warm and also clear/clean at the same time. Just not 650-like 'warmth'.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #77 of 110
No, farther away if anything. More open and clear, whereas the HD650 is thick and smooth. That thick and smooth tonality is unique to the 650, at least at this price range. That said, I think the mids are the Classics main selling point and are, in my experience, unmatched at this price. Warm and also clear/clean at the same time. Just not 650-like 'warmth'.
Thanks, one last question, i have an hd569 (like a closed back 598) and i was wondering how these would compare to them. i feel like that there bass is a little weak and the treble is slightly recessed compared to what i like, how would those compare?

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #78 of 110
Thanks, one last question, i have an hd569 (like a closed back 598) and i was wondering how these would compare to them. i feel like that there bass is a little weak and the treble is slightly recessed compared to what i like, how would those compare?

I have only heard the HD598 and that was years ago. But the Classics, for my tastes, outperform the HD600 and 650, so I would think they'd crush a closed back version of the 598. It's not basshead bass but it's strong and powerful and kicks hard with the right amp. And the treble is a blend of being warm and relaxed and non fatiguing while still maintaining clarity and cleanness and extension (although extension is one area where the HD600 have the upper hand).

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #79 of 110
I have only heard the HD598 and that was years ago. But the Classics, for my tastes, outperform the HD600 and 650, so I would think they'd crush a closed back version of the 598. It's not basshead bass but it's strong and powerful and kicks hard with the right amp. And the treble is a blend of being warm and relaxed and non fatiguing while still maintaining clarity and cleanness and extension (although extension is one area where the HD600 have the upper hand).
wow sounds exactly what i have been looking for!!!

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #80 of 110
wow sounds exactly what i have been looking for!!!

I am pretty biased towards Zach's house sound but I love these headphones, for me they do a lot right and check so many boxes and I'm baffled they aren't more talked about. Most of what I listen to is modern rock, metal, hip hop, prog, folk/americana, and the only thing I would say the HD600 does better is folk since the more realistic tonality matters more and the bass isn't as critical.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #81 of 110
I am pretty biased towards Zach's house sound but I love these headphones, for me they do a lot right and check so many boxes and I'm baffled they aren't more talked about. Most of what I listen to is modern rock, metal, hip hop, prog, folk/americana, and the only thing I would say the HD600 does better is folk since the more realistic tonality matters more and the bass isn't as critical.
Owning all 3 of those cans and also being a ZMF fan, you hear it the same way i do. I agree with everything said. This is good info, for those interested. If i would have bought the Classic first, i would have been happy for a long time. They are great headphones and a best buy, for the money, no doubt.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #86 of 110
The CTH has more than enough power for the Classics

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #88 of 110
I listen at 11-1 o'clock. CTH will certainly get them loud enough to destroy your hearing.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #89 of 110
I just wanted to drop some praise for these things here. I got them as comfort pair for work, but when they arrived the tore through my collection with a vengeance. Without EQ, to me, they best everything I have. Anyone have experience with these in comparison to any of Zach's dynamic lineup? I would be particularly interested in an Atticus comparison. I feel the urge to throw money at him for the excellent service and products. (probably selling everything that isn't nailed down in the process)

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #90 of 110
I just wanted to drop some praise for these things here. I got them as comfort pair for work, but when they arrived the tore through my collection with a vengeance. Without EQ, to me, they best everything I have. Anyone have experience with these in comparison to any of Zach's dynamic lineup? I would be particularly interested in an Atticus comparison. I feel the urge to throw money at him for the excellent service and products. (probably selling everything that isn't nailed down in the process)

Yeah, for the price these things really are awesome. I am still kinda blown away how easily they best the HD600/650 in most respects.

I have written up some thoughts on the Classic and Atticus a few pages back. I own both. The short of it is that the Atticus are in a different league....microdetails, separation, soundstage and imaging, dynamics, extension, timbre, all are *much* better on the Atticus. Let me know if you have specific questions about the two. I listen to both just about every day (Classic at the office, Atticus at home).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back