ZMF Caldera Closed
May 12, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #616 of 714
„boxed“ is something that never came into my mind with any ZMF closed headphone.
Heard the Bokeh and CC this weekend at the High End show in Munich and both had this same open, totally unboxed quality.
It was difficult to demo the CC in this very noisy environment, but what I could hear I liked very much, which is a bit of a pity as I really, and I am sorry to say that here in this thread, do not dig the optics of the CC, especially with this emphasised burnt „V“. If I spent this amount of money for a headphone I really have to like also the optics. So my only hope is for a later Ltd. Version which I may be will like more.

May 12, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #617 of 714
„boxed“ is something that never came into my mind with any ZMF closed headphone.
Heard the Bokeh and CC this weekend at the High End show in Munich and both had this same open, totally unboxed quality.
It was difficult to demo the CC in this very noisy environment, but what I could hear I liked very much, which is a bit of a pity as I really, and I am sorry to say that here in this thread, do not dig the optics of the CC, especially with this emphasised burnt „V“. If I spent this amount of money for a headphone I really have to like also the optics. So my only hope is for a later Ltd. Version which I may be will like more.
There is a LTD option, the Shedua wood.

There is a part of me that likes the burnt ash for the emphases on the angles of the cup.

For me I went with the Shedua because looking at it head on or at an angle, with the shape combined with the wood grain it reminds me an optical illusion drawing, and I think that's cool.

If you don't like the emphases of the angles, then the Shedua sounds like it would suite you better.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #618 of 714
I got sidetracked with obsessing over Aegis tube options and never gave my thoughts after the day ended.

First, the AC and CC are excellent compliments to each other, IMO. When you want warm, smooth, darker, romantic/euphonic tuning, the AC is a home run. On the other side the CC excels at speed, precision, technicalities, and clarity. An excellent one/two punch for when you want to peer deep into the music or just let is swallow you up as a whole.

Yeah yeah that's been said enough times, right? Nothing new there, though worth repeating.

First, the AC is definitely in the same league as the CC. Different tuning absolutely. It's strengths are very different than the CC. Listening to it after a few days on the Calderas exclusively, it was like coming home to a warm loving hug. That seductive warmth and bloom just felt good to me, felt right. But man did it sound downright slow and smokey in comparison. You don't buy the AC over the CC for resolution. You buy it for it's musical and euphonic macro presentation. And from top to bottom it nails it, assuming your preferences lie in the darkness like mine.

So if you like warm you'll hate the CC, right? I won't speak for everyone but that's a big hel no for me. I love the thing! I'm still learning it and the CO, but I know I really love what the Calderas are doing. It's brighter, faster, less euphonic, thinner, and more aggressive. But it works, despite me generally hating that type of sound signature. For reference I don't like the Utopia, Susavara, etc. Too bright, and in a way that aggravates my tinnitus to no end. The CC is putting out some similar high frequency levels, but it's not fatiguing. I've spent a good amount of hours on both the CC and CO and i've yet to have my ears start ringing. For reference the first gen Utopia had them ringing in 30 minutes. Ringing bad. So despite my love of darkness, I'm enjoying the CC easily as much as the AC. It's such a different experience. With the CC i'm listening more analytically while still finding the experience highly engaging and musical.

Here's the thing though, the AC just rocks me harder from a macro perspective. So my one concern is once I get over the resolution, will I really yearn for the CC like I do the AC/Atticus/Bokeh? Time will tell, though so far my instincts tell me I will. I've never heard such a resolving AND musical combination before.

A bit of some random thoughts I wrote down while listening throughout the day:

First listen to the AC felt like coming home, so good, so right.

AC sounds hazy after all those hours with the CC.

Despite the haziness, it's still extremely resolving. More than enough for me.

(AC) THAT BASS! love the resonance and slow decay.

CC and Jazz is scary good. I'm hearing little nuances I've never heard before. Cross checked the same tracks on the AC and yep, they're there, but buried deep in the mix, not easily identified.

The CC is making me seek out violin solos, the rendition is mesmerizing. On AC sounds dull.

The CC's soundstage is so laser precise. Precision is what always comes to mind with the CC.

Metal works better for me on the AC. Iron Maiden - Live After Death never sounded better on the AC. On CC a bit harsh and overly vivid. AC gives goosebumps.

Female vocals are so seductive on the AC, yet I prefer the added nuance of the CC.

Old school thrash is really aggressive on the CC. Too aggressive. Bokeh does this best IMO.

60s/70's classic rock is sounding more engaging on the CC! Never thought anything would dethrone the AC here. Panama.....PANAMA-AH

Double bass blasts on the CC never seem to blur/blend. AC no slouch, but CC just never loses composure.

No winners/losers here, just preference.
Thanks for posting this! This own super helpful and just the comparison I was looking for. The only problem is this confirms my thought that I also need an AC along with the CC I just ordered…I think a cocobolo pair is calling me 😂

May 12, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #619 of 714
do not dig the optics of the CC, especially with this emphasised burnt „V“.
We decided against burning thay area of the cup at all due to the negative reactions, so the production models will all be burnt just along the grain lines.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 12, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #620 of 714
I feel like giving convention impressions are a bit useless personally. Largely because it’s such a loud environment any sense of imaging or stage goes out the window. The only thing you can ascertain from a convention is just the overall tonality and if that aligns with your preference. Beyond that, deep listening is needed before saying a headphone is good or bad.

May 12, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #621 of 714
I know resolve is well regarded but I just cannot triangulate anything he's saying here to what I'm hearing. If he was talking about the AC maybe, but not the CC. i've not heard the Envy so maybe that's contributing to the impressions, but just seems a bit off.
And the Envy changes so much with tube rolls. None of the stock tubes are especially great matches with the Caldera Open so I’d assume the same with the CC. Even the crazy expensive Anniversary Edition of it comes with Elrog ER 300b which I don’t enjoy anywhere near as much as the WE 300b. With my preferred tube rolls in it even on the Verite vocals are quite a bit more forward for me than either of the Atriums.

May 12, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #622 of 714
Here's the YouTube ad I made - they say the most important part is the first 5 seconds haha.

What do you guys think more flames? I believe it accompanied by a funny zmf Tagline and link or logo.

I think it is a great video. To be honest it made me want to take a bath looking at the volcanic lava pit. God I need help.
Zach. I’ll be really honest with you. If I had one choice for a new closed back headphone the Caldera closed would be it. I’ve had the LCD XC for nearly 7 years now. I EQ it. I love it, but I fell the CC would be the best closed back upgrade coming from the LCD XC camp.

May 12, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #623 of 714
I got sidetracked with obsessing over Aegis tube options and never gave my thoughts after the day ended.

First, the AC and CC are excellent compliments to each other, IMO. When you want warm, smooth, darker, romantic/euphonic tuning, the AC is a home run. On the other side the CC excels at speed, precision, technicalities, and clarity. An excellent one/two punch for when you want to peer deep into the music or just let is swallow you up as a whole.

Yeah yeah that's been said enough times, right? Nothing new there, though worth repeating.

First, the AC is definitely in the same league as the CC. Different tuning absolutely. It's strengths are very different than the CC. Listening to it after a few days on the Calderas exclusively, it was like coming home to a warm loving hug. That seductive warmth and bloom just felt good to me, felt right. But man did it sound downright slow and smokey in comparison. You don't buy the AC over the CC for resolution. You buy it for it's musical and euphonic macro presentation. And from top to bottom it nails it, assuming your preferences lie in the darkness like mine.

So if you like warm you'll hate the CC, right? I won't speak for everyone but that's a big hel no for me. I love the thing! I'm still learning it and the CO, but I know I really love what the Calderas are doing. It's brighter, faster, less euphonic, thinner, and more aggressive. But it works, despite me generally hating that type of sound signature. For reference I don't like the Utopia, Susavara, etc. Too bright, and in a way that aggravates my tinnitus to no end. The CC is putting out some similar high frequency levels, but it's not fatiguing. I've spent a good amount of hours on both the CC and CO and i've yet to have my ears start ringing. For reference the first gen Utopia had them ringing in 30 minutes. Ringing bad. So despite my love of darkness, I'm enjoying the CC easily as much as the AC. It's such a different experience. With the CC i'm listening more analytically while still finding the experience highly engaging and musical.

Here's the thing though, the AC just rocks me harder from a macro perspective. So my one concern is once I get over the resolution, will I really yearn for the CC like I do the AC/Atticus/Bokeh? Time will tell, though so far my instincts tell me I will. I've never heard such a resolving AND musical combination before.

A bit of some random thoughts I wrote down while listening throughout the day:

First listen to the AC felt like coming home, so good, so right.

AC sounds hazy after all those hours with the CC.

Despite the haziness, it's still extremely resolving. More than enough for me.

(AC) THAT BASS! love the resonance and slow decay.

CC and Jazz is scary good. I'm hearing little nuances I've never heard before. Cross checked the same tracks on the AC and yep, they're there, but buried deep in the mix, not easily identified.

The CC is making me seek out violin solos, the rendition is mesmerizing. On AC sounds dull.

The CC's soundstage is so laser precise. Precision is what always comes to mind with the CC.

Metal works better for me on the AC. Iron Maiden - Live After Death never sounded better on the AC. On CC a bit harsh and overly vivid. AC gives goosebumps.

Female vocals are so seductive on the AC, yet I prefer the added nuance of the CC.

Old school thrash is really aggressive on the CC. Too aggressive. Bokeh does this best IMO.

60s/70's classic rock is sounding more engaging on the CC! Never thought anything would dethrone the AC here. Panama.....PANAMA-AH

Double bass blasts on the CC never seem to blur/blend. AC no slouch, but CC just never loses composure.

No winners/losers here, just preference.

Thanks for the detailed write up, really is appreciated. What pads did you use for each HP in the comparisons?

May 12, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #625 of 714
I think it is a great video. To be honest it made me want to take a bath looking at the volcanic lava pit. God I need help.
Zach. I’ll be really honest with you. If I had one choice for a new closed back headphone the Caldera closed would be it. I’ve had the LCD XC for nearly 7 years now. I EQ it. I love it, but I fell the CC would be the best closed back upgrade coming from the LCD XC camp.
Got the XC as well for about 3 years and I still keep them. Can't talk about the CC (wish I could) but CO is a def. upgrade, not only technically but more importantly, musically. If you didn't own any ZMF's in the past, coming from XC might require some brain burn-in like I experienced but addiction is on another level with these HPs!
Also in addition to all the tuning options Zach provides, Calderas take EQ pretty solidly if you want to apply.

May 12, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #626 of 714
It’s almost like someone went to film school. :)

May 13, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #627 of 714
I'm so tempted to order the CC blindly.

Out of my 3 ZMFs (CO, AC, VC), Sony MDR Z1R, and DCA Expanse, the ZMF CO are the ones I use the most.

I'm curious to see how the CC end up ranking.

My current order is CO, MDR/VC, Expanse/AC. Not a lot of good reasoning there just how much I like to use them relative to each other.

May 13, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #628 of 714
@zach915m
The new Air pads sure look intriguing. Can we order them separately for Caldera Open? Are they compatible?

IMG_6427.png

May 13, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #629 of 714
@zach915m
The new Air pads sure look intriguing. Can we order them separately for Caldera Open? Are they compatible?

IMG_6427.png
We tried to come up with something to help identify caldera pads but it's confused everyone internally and externally. These are the same pads as the Caldera Open already has, just with top and side perf.

Were going to pull the air name and just go by perforation style.

So all Caldera pads will be designed as caldera pads.

The designation will go like this:

Caldera Pad, material type, thickness, perforation style

Two examples -

Caldera Protein Thin (top perf only)

Caldera Lambskin Thick (top/side perf)

Hope that makes sense!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 13, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #630 of 714
We tried to come up with something to help identify caldera pads but it's confused everyone internally and externally. These are the same pads as the Caldera Open already has, just with top and side perf.

Were going to pull the air name and just go by perforation style.

So all Caldera pads will be designed as caldera pads.

The designation will go like this:

Caldera Pad, material type, thickness, perforation style

Two examples -

Caldera Protein Thin (top perf only)

Caldera Lambskin Thick (top/side perf)

Hope that makes sense!
Wouldn’t it be more “fun” to give them individual names like the stabilized releases? Seems like a missed opportunity. Imagine the discussion comparing the Jabberwocky pad to the Krakatoa pad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back