ZMF Caldera Closed
May 10, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #497 of 722
I'm finishing up my pad comparison videos but - part of that video is showing the slightly different transient response between the pad materials, and I think that's where we hear a lot of differences too, is in the primary frontal impulse/transient, vs overall air moved that equates to frequency response.

It's a big reason why I truly believe not all headphones tuned to the same curve are perceived the same.

I hear it the same way btw, even with the same response, suede is more smoothed and has less "attack."

Will post the pads video here shortly.
Excellent video, and thanks for making it! I hear differences between lambskin and suede in a similar way. Lambskin I hear as more of an untreated or semi-treated room with more reflections that create more energy in the treble while suede I hear as a treated room with a softer, more closed in sound.

I'm curious to hear the Caldera Deep pads on the Atrium Closed and just might order a pair.

But I'd still love to see more Caldera Thick varieties as they win the comfort wars for me hands down. Auteur pads come in second while Caldera (regular thickness) and Caldera Thin are both too slender for my audiophile-sized ears.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #499 of 722
Which mesh and pads to go for to get overall smoother and bassier sound ? I know it must have been discussed but if someone can help me here…
IMO the stock red mesh and Caldera thick pads give the smoothest and bassiest response. The stock hybrid pads are smoother but a bit less bassy. The protein pads are the absolute bassist but are a bit more aggressive, so you sacrifice smoothness. I personally have gravitated to the thick pads and stock mesh it’s really good and non fatiguing.

May 10, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #500 of 722
I've spent last few hours listening to the CC. it's been a couple of months since I had them for an evening before CanJam and it's really nice to get to get to know theme gain with a fresh perspective and the distance of time.

Have only been listening so far with the Protein pads (which combination I liked when I first tried it). Listening on the AIC10 (M8136 tube roll).

The few things that quickly jump at me today on first listen:
  1. A very smooth tuning that sounds effortless.
  2. A great sense of space. It's not that the soundstage is overly big, it's just a holographic presentation that feels very spacious and natural (a massive coup for a closed planar). I really love that.
  3. The balance between attack and decay is just right for me - snappy on the front, but with a nice decay on the trailing ends of notes. jIt ust feels organic in a way that planars normally don't. Analog is a cliche descriptor, but that's the best one I got. Like the feel of a high end receiver from the 70s with ton of power and warmth
  4. Tonality weise, mid bass is super crisp, good lwo extension to well defined sub-bass, mids are warm with lower mids (male vocals) are forward and higher mids (female vocals) are recessed, and treble is genly rolled off [in comparison, the AC have more low bass and upper mid elevation; whereas the CC feel a bit more even; thes are two headphones are really distinct]

I enjoy warm tuning and like a great bass but I also like treble extension (my only deal breaker is any hint of sibilance, but above that I am not treble sensitie), so I will likely try the alternate mesh at some point (waiting to get it). I also have couple other pads (stock hybrid and deep lamb) that are certain to shift things around. And I have multple amps that I want to pair the CC with (including the Aegis). So I will take my time doing slow discovery through all of these.

I hope to put more detailed notes in the coming weeks once I've had enough mileage, and by then my impressions may (and likely) will change quite a bit. Perhpas the headphones will also change a bit through a few hours of burn in. I will share my discovery journey as it goes.

Written words aside - these headphones are really awesome and a lot of fun, right out of the gate!!!

I can't wait for the the many hours of music ahead...

1715313335255.png
So the sub bass is far greater on the AC and the sound-stage is (much) larger on the CC?

May 10, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #501 of 722
IMO the stock red mesh and Caldera thick pads give the smoothest and bassiest response. The stock hybrid pads are smoother but a bit less bassy. The protein pads are the absolute bassist but are a bit more aggressive, so you sacrifice smoothness. I personally have gravitated to the thick pads and stock mesh it’s really good and non fatiguing.
I quite like bass and treble on the thick pads, but the mids on the CC with thick pads feel a little sucked out to me, slightly hollow (not just because vocals are more distant).
After trying all possible options with the two meshes and 4 pads, I have settled down with thin mesh and protein (leather) pads. This gives me the snappiest and most dynamic sound which I find to be the closest to my CO. (I prefer the CO with thick pads, as those ever so slightly smooth out the upper-mid/treble response versus stock.)
CO with thick pads is still a bit more dynamic to my ears than CC with thin mesh/protein pads, but it is pretty close now.
I can see, why the stock configuration is thick mesh with hybrid pads on the CC; this is probably the overall most balanced option but with a warmer and smoother tuning versus CO. I love my CO so much that I just don't want a different tuning in the closed version. I want my dynamics and thin mesh/protein pads seem to be the solution for me personally.
This configuration makes the CC the best closed-back headphones I have heard so far. Also, with this tuning combination after a while my brain can almost be tricked to believe I am listening to the CO. With the other tuning options this was not possible due to the extra warmth and smoothness.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #502 of 722
Our review of the Caldera Closed is now published. Three different pads options tried including stock, thick and protein. I have my preferences, YMMV :)

Comparisons included Caldera Open, Atrium Closed, and DCA's Stealth.

https://headfonics.com/zmf-headphones-caldera-closed-review/

1715332055303.png

May 10, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #503 of 722
So the sub bass is far greater on the AC and the sound-stage is (much) larger on the CC?

The subbass is more elevated on the AC, but it’s equally extended on the CC without being elevated.

Sound stage feels more holographic on the CC.

Neither of these headphones is lacking in neither of those areas but, relatively speaking, they defer in how they present them from each other.

May 10, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #504 of 722
Is the frequency response available anywhere for the CC?

May 10, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #505 of 722
Well, I gotta say, my B&K 4128 HATS is pretty excited for Caldera Closed release day.

EAaVu0M.jpg

May 10, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #510 of 722

Users who are viewing this thread

Back