ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #6,001 of 6,249
I put my AO's on tonight with the intent of swapping on the Caldera Ultra Perf Suede Pads and evaluating them. Instead I just ended up listening to music for several hours... 🤷‍♂️

I'll try again tomorrow. :smile:

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #6,002 of 6,249
I put my AO's on tonight with the intent of swapping on the Caldera Ultra Perf Suede Pads and evaluating them. Instead I just ended up listening to music for several hours... 🤷‍♂️

Classic mistake! Never put ZMF's on if you are looking for a quick session.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: They are simply to addictive and amazing to only listen with briefly. I have tried this for years and fail every time. I can't tell you how many times I have been late to work, thinking I was only going to have a quick morning session.:grin:

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #6,003 of 6,249

I used my AO last night with the caldera ultra perf suedes on and I think you ll like what you hear when you get the chance to listen

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #6,004 of 6,249

Looking forward to your impressions!

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #6,005 of 6,249
Omg don't make me order another set of pads ;(
Installed Pads: Caldera Lambskin, ultra perforated
Included Pads: Universe Lambskin, perforated
Added:
BE² Suede (perforated)
Auteur Pads - Lambskin (perforated)

Don't tell me Caldera Ultra Perf Suede Pads are also good please 🥺❤️

My bank account 🥺

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #6,006 of 6,249

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #6,007 of 6,249
First time with Atrium on Feliks Envy vs Chord DAVE solo...

PXL_20240403_180342392.jpg

Having had to sell my last Atriums to fund my Feliks Envy purchase, I managed to get some Atriums back again. I previously had them on a XIAUDIO Formula S and Powerman. But boy are they absolutely singing on this Envy.

Elrog ER300b with Brimar CV1988s. Chord DAVE as DAC. Only stock cable for now, but I have a Danacables Nirvana incoming for multiuse with an incoming LCD-4. I won't get into pad swaps for now because that's a whole other thing, but for reference I'm just using stock Universe perf.

I've been such a planar guy since getting into headphones because my 'thing' has always been chasing resolution and detail. Once I got to the end of that rainbow (relatively for me), I realised how much I enjoy a warm, softer tone than the rather clinical tone my chain was giving me.

Since moving to the Envy, all that has changed, and with the Atrium...wow! Those gorgeous mids, the lush laid-back treble, and deep rumbling bass that's also effortlessly clean.

ZMF Atrium on Chord DAVE solo
One of the advantages of having an amp/dac is just plugging headphones in when you don't want to wait for tubes to warm up, especially one with as capable an amp as DAVE's.

Tonally, the Atriums always deliver. Whether it's on a Ifi Go Blu (the soundstage does fairly collapse on that, mind) or the Envy. And the DAVE is no different.

I don't care about the supposed thinness of the DAVE. I've simply never heard that. All I've heard on the DAVE is a profound musicality. Even solo. And the Atrium demonstrates what the DAVE does: presents music in a heavenly natural manner. There's no colouration or tricks.

Of course, the Atrium bring a hint of darkness in tonality, but timbre and warmth are sublime. Yes, detailing isn't at LCD-5 or Susvara levels. But that's fine. I can listen to Atrium for hours. There is simply no fatigue with these ever. Even on the DAVE it's not incredibly resolving. But it's not gloopy tubey smeary soft mess.

So I was interested to hear the effect of moving them to tubes...

ZMF Atrium on Feliks Envy (w/ Elrog 300b and Brimar CV1988 and DAVE as DAC)
As I hit play on track 1, I prepared myself for softness. And it is definitely softer than solo DAVE. But not at the expense of details. It's warmth and a dark embery glow on top of what the DAVE gives you.
Also, as you would expect it's stage that really delivers with the Envy. Imaging expands outwards, stage widens. And there's a richness and warmth of a whole order higher than the DAVE.

It's an absolutely gorgeous sound. Breathtaking really. It's a sound that I could listen to forever.

I've heard clearer vocals. I've heard more natural vocals. But I have never heard vocals as effortlessly and beautifully rendered as on Atrium. Gagging Order by Radiohead a prime example, which on Susvara sounds a little distant. On Atrium, Thom Yorke has pulled up a stool right next to you to play. It honestly made me tear up a bit.

NB: I should note, I'm getting a very slight hum on medium gain when there's silent background. When on low gain it goes away. But stage and tonality takes a big hit.

Atrium and tube pairings
I did a 300b tube-upgrade comparison yesterday with Elrogs vs Western Electric. One track I noted in favour of the Elrogs was Nick Drake's Hazey Jane II, a beautiful, dreamy tune of acoustic bliss. Listening on Susvara for the comparison was intended to get as neutral tonal results as possible. But the Elrogs with the Atrium bring back a lot of what the Western Electric tubes bring, which is a slightly slower speed which really tells with Nick Drake and Neil Young and the like.

It's something I hadn't paid much thought to until tonight: the impact of different tubes with different headphones. This is just reinforcing for me that the Elrogs are really for me. If I can get this warm and rich tone from music via the Atriums, then that's fantastic. Now, I haven't used the Atrium with WE yet, and maybe that will throw a spanner in the works, and I will try it.

But if Nick Drake's At the Chime of a City Clock is anything to go by on Atrium, then the Elrogs are more than delivering on gorgeous mids and laidback treble. And that's exactly what I want from this headphone.

And it's a headphone I will NEVER EVER let go of again.
Great impressions, loved reading them. I too am saving up for an Envy, the combo I heard at Canjam was absolutely sublime. After I heard it, I knew I needed to get a tube amp to really get the Atriums to sing and even though I loved the sound I got at home, I felt I wasn't doing them justice. As soon as I get one, I'm immediately getting the Atriums again, I miss them already but I'm glad they found a wonderful loving home, crazy to say but they almost look happy next to your set up :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #6,008 of 6,249

Having had to sell my last Atriums to fund my Feliks Envy purchase, I managed to get some Atriums back again. I previously had them on a XIAUDIO Formula S and Powerman. But boy are they absolutely singing on this Envy.

Elrog ER300b with Brimar CV1988s. Chord DAVE as DAC. Only stock cable for now, but I have a Danacables Nirvana incoming for multiuse with an incoming LCD-4. I won't get into pad swaps for now because that's a whole other thing, but for reference I'm just using stock Universe perf.

I've been such a planar guy since getting into headphones because my 'thing' has always been chasing resolution and detail. Once I got to the end of that rainbow (relatively for me), I realised how much I enjoy a warm, softer tone than the rather clinical tone my chain was giving me.

Since moving to the Envy, all that has changed, and with the Atrium...wow! Those gorgeous mids, the lush laid-back treble, and deep rumbling bass that's also effortlessly clean.

One of the advantages of having an amp/dac is just plugging headphones in when you don't want to wait for tubes to warm up, especially one with as capable an amp as DAVE's.

Tonally, the Atriums always deliver. Whether it's on a Ifi Go Blu (the soundstage does fairly collapse on that, mind) or the Envy. And the DAVE is no different.

I don't care about the supposed thinness of the DAVE. I've simply never heard that. All I've heard on the DAVE is a profound musicality. Even solo. And the Atrium demonstrates what the DAVE does: presents music in a heavenly natural manner. There's no colouration or tricks.

Of course, the Atrium bring a hint of darkness in tonality, but timbre and warmth are sublime. Yes, detailing isn't at LCD-5 or Susvara levels. But that's fine. I can listen to Atrium for hours. There is simply no fatigue with these ever. Even on the DAVE it's not incredibly resolving. But it's not gloopy tubey smeary soft mess.

As I hit play on track 1, I prepared myself for softness. And it is definitely softer than solo DAVE. But not at the expense of details. It's warmth and a dark embery glow on top of what the DAVE gives you.
Also, as you would expect it's stage that really delivers with the Envy. Imaging expands outwards, stage widens. And there's a richness and warmth of a whole order higher than the DAVE.

It's an absolutely gorgeous sound. Breathtaking really. It's a sound that I could listen to forever.

I've heard clearer vocals. I've heard more natural vocals. But I have never heard vocals as effortlessly and beautifully rendered as on Atrium. Gagging Order by Radiohead a prime example, which on Susvara sounds a little distant. On Atrium, Thom Yorke has pulled up a stool right next to you to play. It honestly made me tear up a bit.

NB: I should note, I'm getting a very slight hum on medium gain when there's silent background. When on low gain it goes away. But stage and tonality takes a big hit.

Atrium and tube pairings
I did a 300b tube-upgrade comparison yesterday with Elrogs vs Western Electric. One track I noted in favour of the Elrogs was Nick Drake's Hazey Jane II, a beautiful, dreamy tune of acoustic bliss. Listening on Susvara for the comparison was intended to get as neutral tonal results as possible. But the Elrogs with the Atrium bring back a lot of what the Western Electric tubes bring, which is a slightly slower speed which really tells with Nick Drake and Neil Young and the like.

It's something I hadn't paid much thought to until tonight: the impact of different tubes with different headphones. This is just reinforcing for me that the Elrogs are really for me. If I can get this warm and rich tone from music via the Atriums, then that's fantastic. Now, I haven't used the Atrium with WE yet, and maybe that will throw a spanner in the works, and I will try it.

But if Nick Drake's At the Chime of a City Clock is anything to go by on Atrium, then the Elrogs are more than delivering on gorgeous mids and laidback treble. And that's exactly what I want from this headphone.

As a new, first time owner of the AO I can attest mine will never leave. I have a modest system comparatively speaking, Audiobyte Vox/Zap to Cayin HA-6, but the AO just sing like none of my others… LCD-4, Abyss DV2, Senn 800s, and some older Beyer and Senns.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #6,009 of 6,249

Atrium and tube pairings

Your feedback is really interesting. I am still hesitant to sell my Auris HA2 SE to buy the Feliks Envy, a Cayin HA 300 MK2, or the Zmf/decware. The Feliks envy is the most beautiful, the most accomplished but also the most expensive... 😢 but perhaps the best 🤔

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #6,010 of 6,249
Great impressions, loved reading them. I too am saving up for an Envy, the combo I heard at Canjam was absolutely sublime. After I heard it, I knew I needed to get a tube amp to really get the Atriums to sing and even though I loved the sound I got at home, I felt I wasn't doing them justice. As soon as I get one, I'm immediately getting the Atriums again, I miss them already but I'm glad they found a wonderful loving home, crazy to say but they almost look happy next to your set up :)
They are, and FWIW (and this always does mean something to me when I sell gear) they are in a very appreciative home. Thanks again for the sale :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #6,011 of 6,249
Your feedback is really interesting. I am still hesitant to sell my Auris HA2 SE to buy the Feliks Envy, a Cayin HA 300 MK2, or the Zmf/decware. The Feliks envy is the most beautiful, the most accomplished but also the most expensive... 😢 but perhaps the best 🤔
I think the Envy is an improvement over the HA300mk2, but with either Elrog or WE 300b tubes on it, it is a fantastic amp. HA300 stock vs Envy stock, for me is easily Envy as winner. Both with upgraded tubes, Envy still wins. But whether that difference between them is worth the expenditure, I don't know. I haven't spent enough time with the HA300. I know that what I heard was still marvellous. A 'can't go wrong' situation.

I mean, there are other amps above the Envy according to many. There probably are. I haven't heard them. But I know for what I listen to, I'm going to be very happy with the Envy for a very long time. I suspect many many others would feel just the same with the HA300 and they'll have a few thousand more ££ or $$ than me :)

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #6,012 of 6,249
I think the Envy is an improvement over the HA300mk2, but with either Elrog or WE 300b tubes on it, it is a fantastic amp. HA300 stock vs Envy stock, for me is easily Envy as winner. Both with upgraded tubes, Envy still wins. But whether that difference between them is worth the expenditure, I don't know. I haven't spent enough time with the HA300. I know that what I heard was still marvellous. A 'can't go wrong' situation.

I mean, there are other amps above the Envy according to many. There probably are. I haven't heard them. But I know for what I listen to, I'm going to be very happy with the Envy for a very long time. I suspect many many others would feel just the same with the HA300 and they'll have a few thousand more ££ or $$ than me :)
There is a comparison between these 2 amps on this site:
https://headfonics.com/cayin-ha-300mk2-review/3/

And differences are presented: its more holographic and softer for the Cayin, more powerful and impactful especially in the bass for the Envy, the 2 being at the forefront of what is best... and associated with the Elrogs or WE ( looking forward to knowing your opinion with the WE), it must be magnificent. A misery for our wallet all that 😅

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #6,013 of 6,249
I saw this concert the other day and it was like I didn't have headphones on me at all. Definitely worth watching in Bluray, Youtube audio doesn't do it justice. Crank it up and enjoy. If you like some Pink Floyd seeing Gilmour and Richard Wright play is just great. Such a great tone with Atrium.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #6,014 of 6,249
I saw this concert the other day and it was like I didn't have headphones on me at all. Definitely worth watching in Bluray, Youtube audio doesn't do it justice. Crank it up and enjoy. If you like some Pink Floyd seeing Gilmour and Richard Wright play is just great. Such a great tone with Atrium.

That looks like an awesome concert experience! I have not been to a live performance in several years. But I did just get tickets to Jeff Lynne's ELO concert at Madison Square Gardens in NYC for later this summer. It's stated to be his last tour so I wanted to catch it and share it with my pre-teen son who likes ELO. It'll be his first concert.

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #6,015 of 6,249
How long has the build time been, recently? Is the website accurate? 4-8 weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back