ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #5,986 of 6,244
I didn't really give the Caldera Ultra Perf pads a fair try with my previous Atrium since I was so accustomed to the sound with the Universe and Auteur pads. But this time, I decided to stick with the Caldera pads for a bit, and I'm pleasantly surprised! The treble is sharper, electric guitars have more bite, and the cymbals sound more like real cymbals. Plus, it hasn't messed with the bass and soundstage too much. Even after 2 years, these headphones still manage to impress me!

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #5,987 of 6,244
Just ordered the Zebra wood 2024 LTD. VERY excited!

I've owned Atticus for a handful of years now. It's a magical headphone. Never fails to impress. And I had the chance to listen to the Auteurs at a show a few years back. They were even better. I spent the last few days researching Atrium, reading reviews and watching videos, working myself up to this.

Can't wait! :D

ZMF_Atrium_01.jpg

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #5,988 of 6,244
Glad my Ash set inspired you to get your own! I really lucked out buying my Ash Auteur all those years ago. It’s my favorite ZMF, as far as looks are concerned, of all the many sets I’ve owned.

I’m always tempted when a beautiful Ash set comes up for sale. There’s a nice Ash Caldera for sale here at the moment that is calling my name. Unfortunately, I’m tapped out financially for the foreseeable future as far as audio purchases are concerned. In the past year I’ve picked up an Ash Atrium Closed, Yggy A2, and Mjolnir 3. I’d have to sell something if I wanted to buy something, and nothing I have at the moment is going anywhere.
I have the Mjolnir 3 and Atrium headed my way, too. What are your impressions of the pairing? I wasn't sure if Atrium would benefit more from a warmer amp.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #5,989 of 6,244
I didn't really give the Caldera Ultra Perf pads a fair try with my previous Atrium since I was so accustomed to the sound with the Universe and Auteur pads. But this time, I decided to stick with the Caldera pads for a bit, and I'm pleasantly surprised! The treble is sharper, electric guitars have more bite, and the cymbals sound more like real cymbals. Plus, it hasn't messed with the bass and soundstage too much. Even after 2 years, these headphones still manage to impress me!
I'm still on the Caldera ultra pads too, I agree that they add some bite and intensity to the sound without sacrificing too much of the stock "magic". I'd say that especially for people who like the Auteur sound, the Atrium + Caldera ultra pads is a pretty straight upgrade.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #5,990 of 6,244
Just ordered the Zebra wood 2024 LTD. VERY excited!

I've owned Atticus for a handful of years now. It's a magical headphone. Never fails to impress. And I had the chance to listen to the Auteurs at a show a few years back. They were even better. I spent the last few days researching Atrium, reading reviews and watching videos, working myself up to this.

Can't wait! :D

ZMF_Atrium_01.jpg
Welcome to the wait 😄

By the way, I ordered mine with the following pads:
Installed Pads: Caldera Lambskin, ultra perforated
Included Pads: Universe Lambskin, perforated
Also added the BE² Suede (perforated)
Shall I add some other to the kit?
I seek bass and soundstage with slight relaxed highs.
thanks in advance

love you all! ❤️

By the way.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #5,991 of 6,244
Welcome to the wait 😄

thanks in advance

love you all! ❤️

By the way.
Bass, soundstage and relaxed highs… sounds like the Universe perf lamb to me!

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #5,992 of 6,244
Welcome to the wait 😄

thanks in advance

love you all! ❤️

By the way.

Auteur lambskin perforated are a little bit more relaxed to my ears. Bass is about the same as Universe, but maybe not as tight.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #5,993 of 6,244

Auteur lambskin perforated are a little bit more relaxed to my ears. Bass is about the same as Universe, but maybe not as tight.

I'd highly recommend adding the Auteur lambskin pads to your order. They deliver exactly what you're looking for in terms of soundstage, 3D effects, and relaxed treble. In my experience, they outperform all the other pads in these aspects.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #5,994 of 6,244
I have the Mjolnir 3 and Atrium headed my way, too. What are your impressions of the pairing? I wasn't sure if Atrium would benefit more from a warmer amp.
To be clear, I have the Atrium Closed, but in general I think the MJ3 is great match with it. Occasionally I prefer the higher output impedance of my SW51+ tube amp because it tends to bring the mids, and particularly vocals, more up front.

The MJ3 is unquestionably the superior amp in every technical way though. It’s so good that it easily shows the differences between DACs. The MJ3 made the upgrade from the OG BF2 to the Yggy A2 much more noticeable than on my other amps.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #5,995 of 6,244
To be clear, I have the Atrium Closed, but in general I think the MJ3 is great match with it. Occasionally I prefer the higher output impedance of my SW51+ tube amp because it tends to bring the mids, and particularly vocals, more up front.

The MJ3 is unquestionably the superior amp in every technical way though. It’s so good that it easily shows the differences between DACs. The MJ3 made the upgrade from the OG BF2 to the Yggy A2 much more noticeable than on my other amps.
Thanks for your reply.

Are you running MJ3 with the switch set to high impedance?

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #5,996 of 6,244
Thanks for your reply.

Are you running MJ3 with the switch set to high impedance?
The MJ3 doesn’t have an impedance switch unfortunately. I wish it did! As far as the switches go, I’m using low gain, push-pull, and feedback off. I also use XLR in/out as well.

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #5,997 of 6,244
The MJ3 doesn’t have an impedance switch unfortunately. I wish it did! As far as the switches go, I’m using low gain, push-pull, and feedback off. I also use XLR in/out as well.
Oh, that's right. It's the Cayin HA-3A which had that.

lol. I've been down some rabbit holes, lately!

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #5,999 of 6,244
I just cancelled my order for the Schiit Mjolnir 3, and placed an order for the Violectric V281 Reissue instead. I suspect Atrium will sing all the sweeter on this amp. :)

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #6,000 of 6,244
Welcome to the wait 😄

thanks in advance

love you all! ❤️

By the way.
As others have mentioned, the Universe Lambskin or Auteur Lambskin is the sound you're after (usually depends on your HRTF response which one you prefer). Since you already have the Uni Lambskins included, I'd definitely recommend adding the Auteur Lambskin pads to your order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back