ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #5,881 of 6,196
After 1 month+ of using the stock universe pads, I swapped to the BE2 lambskin pads. The comfort does take a hit, but it's not a dealbreaker for me since I got a small head and ears. Early impressions: I really like the intensity it brings to the sound, although I'm not sure if I like this smaller soundstage in the long run. But the extra energy in the mid-high frequencies works well for me. I think the sound signature is pushed towards what the Auteur does.

I haven't gone back and forth much between the stock pads yet, but if you have the stock pads on, and want to know how the BE2 pads sound, I think a descent indicator is pushing with your fingers on the front part of the wooden cups of the headphone, so that the drivers move a bit back and closer to your ears. The sound should noticeably change, and that's a good approximation at least on my head.

I'm getting my Bokeh next week along with a pair of the Caldera ultra perf pads for the Atriums, looking forward to toss those into the mix too :beyersmile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #5,882 of 6,196
After 1 month+ of using the stock universe pads, I swapped to the BE2 lambskin pads. The comfort does take a hit, but it's not a dealbreaker for me since I got a small head and ears. Early impressions: I really like the intensity it brings to the sound, although I'm not sure if I like this smaller soundstage in the long run. But the extra energy in the mid-high frequencies works well for me. I think the sound signature is pushed towards what the Auteur does.

I haven't gone back and forth much between the stock pads yet, but if you have the stock pads on, and want to know how the BE2 pads sound, I think a descent indicator is pushing with your fingers on the front part of the wooden cups of the headphone, so that the drivers move a bit back and closer to your ears. The sound should noticeably change, and that's a good approximation at least on my head.

I'm getting my Bokeh next week along with a pair of the Caldera ultra perf pads for the Atriums, looking forward to toss those into the mix too :beyersmile:

I didn't really like the BE2 pads myself because they messed with the soundstage and imaging. The Caldera ultra perf pads, on the other hand, give you that clarity and intensity boost like the BE2 pads without sacrificing the soundstage.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #5,883 of 6,196
Just got my pair and they definitely sound impressive although I’m also getting the sense there’s a little treble peakiness, harshness or imbalance that requires some more use or burn-in. For example, I let them burn-in overnight, and the sound now seems to be slightly more relaxed, cohesive, open and clear overall unless I’m imagining it. I’ve gone through this process with numerous headphones, so I am familiar with how sound can slightly evolve with new headphones. I didn’t see any mention of factory burn-in when I went through the ordering process and also wonder how these biodynamic drivers in particular may change over prolonged time periods, for example, 200, 400, 600, etc.+ hours.
I have the AO as well and the sound really opened up around 100 hrs. I believe ZMF said about 200 hrs for burn-in. I will be interested in hearing your thoughts in a few weeks.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #5,884 of 6,196
I’ll try and remember to update my impressions. For now, it’s sounding a little tight and congested and I’m assuming they will open up. For example, I think I should be hearing more separation and clarity within the sound stage based on numerous reviews before purchasing. The treble in particular sounds congested and not especially delineated and defined.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #5,885 of 6,196
I’ll try and remember to update my impressions. For now, it’s sounding a little tight and congested and I’m assuming they will open up. For example, I think I should be hearing more separation and clarity within the sound stage based on numerous reviews before purchasing. The treble in particular sounds congested and not especially delineated and defined.
"Tight and conjested" are descriptors I would have used on initial impression. But certainly not after plenty of burn in.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #5,886 of 6,196
For those that own or have tried both atrium and atrium closed, do you think one would be better for specific types of music? (I listen to a lot of EDM and rock), or is it mainly the sonic differences between an open and closed back and doesn't matter as much on the type of music? Which would you recommend?

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #5,887 of 6,196
For those that own or have tried both atrium and atrium closed, do you think one would be better for specific types of music? (I listen to a lot of EDM and rock), or is it mainly the sonic differences between an open and closed back and doesn't matter as much on the type of music? Which would you recommend?
For EDM specifically I'd go with the AC for it's increased subbass prowess. Both are excellent for rock. The AO is a bit more evenly tuned top to bottom so it's more genre agnostic. I love them both. I'm not a big EDM listener, but for rock/metal I tend to grab the AC. For blues, jazz, and folk the AO's more even tuning is my choice. The AO is a bit more even and refined sounding. The AC a bit more downward tilted and bassy. But not huge differences, either set is spectacular.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #5,888 of 6,196
This was a magical experience at CanJam NYC....
20240310_113331.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #5,889 of 6,196
For EDM specifically I'd go with the AC for it's increased subbass prowess. Both are excellent for rock. The AO is a bit more evenly tuned top to bottom so it's more genre agnostic. I love them both. I'm not a big EDM listener, but for rock/metal I tend to grab the AC. For blues, jazz, and folk the AO's more even tuning is my choice. The AO is a bit more even and refined sounding. The AC a bit more downward tilted and bassy. But not huge differences, either set is spectacular.
I own both as well and I think this is very well said.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #5,890 of 6,196
Thanks! That's super helpful. Except the part where you say both are spectacular and it makes me want to own two instead of choosing which one :joy:

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #5,891 of 6,196
Except the part where you say both are spectacular and it makes me want to own two instead of choosing which one :joy:
the correct question is which one do you want first.

I first heard the AO and loved the sound. Ended up getting a good deal on the AC so bought that instead. Fast forward 10 months later I listen to the AO again at canjam and realise that I still want need it.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #5,892 of 6,196
I listen to a lot of female-vocalist pop, along with musical soundtracks and a fair amount of classical. I adore the look of the AO, with the vents, would it be better suited to my taste in music than the AC?

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #5,893 of 6,196
I listen to a lot of female-vocalist pop, along with musical soundtracks and a fair amount of classical. I adore the look of the AO, with the vents, would it be better suited to my taste in music than the AC?
For genres you mentioned I would recommend Atrium open as a competent all rounder. It's sound stage, mid frequencies and layering with plenty of bass are great. For sub bass frequencies Atrium closed is anyhow clearly better. As you have maybe seen, some headfiers have chosen both, but for one headphone - various genres I would choose Atrium open.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #5,894 of 6,196

Attium Open is a great all-rounder and it's my favorite headphone for rock and metal genres, blues, folk etc. Anything with real instruments and vocals. For EDM and bass heavy music I'd go with AC. It has a more relaxed mid-range and elevated sub-bass and treble compared to AO. Both are great with just about anything.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #5,895 of 6,196
No, I listen to a lot if female vocals (Joni, Gretchen Peters, The Be Good Tanyas, Marissa Nader, Cowboy Junkies, 10,000 Maniacs, Ajeet Kaur, Fleetwood Mac/Christine/Stevie) and I love listening to them from my AO.

TBH, I prefer my HEKse for classical. For big orchestral works the HEK headstage is superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back