ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #5,851 of 6,196
Big fan of the BBB straps. I have them on all three ZMFs now.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #5,852 of 6,196
My long-awaited Atrium in aged cherry / copper arrived yesterday and it's everything I'd hoped it would be; absolutely spectacular both sonically and visually. Somewhat surprisingly coming from the Aeolus, which I never thought twice about having on, I'm finding I might actually be somewhat sensitive to the weight. I opted for the aluminum chassis for durability, but am starting to wonder whether I should have opted for magnesium to save that 30 or so grams.

I would be heartbroken to ever even think about parting ways with this masterpiece, so I'm curious what others have found to be the best "comfort" upgrade from the standard suspension strap, either the new BBB strap or the co-pilot pad? I thought about reaching out to ZMF to inquire about sending them in to swap the chassis to magnesium, if that's something they even do, but would hate to go through the trouble to find it didn't make enough of a difference (maybe my head is just getting soft in my old age!). Thanks in advance!

IMG_5723.jpg

BBB strap does an excellent job distributing weight (which, in the end, is more important than just the weight)

also, play around with adjusting the headband. how much is clamping on the side vs. resting on top, and weather you tak hotspot very top off pressure can all materially change the perception of weight.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #5,853 of 6,196
My long-awaited Atrium in aged cherry / copper arrived yesterday and it's everything I'd hoped it would be; absolutely spectacular both sonically and visually. Somewhat surprisingly coming from the Aeolus, which I never thought twice about having on, I'm finding I might actually be somewhat sensitive to the weight. I opted for the aluminum chassis for durability, but am starting to wonder whether I should have opted for magnesium to save that 30 or so grams.

I would be heartbroken to ever even think about parting ways with this masterpiece, so I'm curious what others have found to be the best "comfort" upgrade from the standard suspension strap, either the new BBB strap or the co-pilot pad? I thought about reaching out to ZMF to inquire about sending them in to swap the chassis to magnesium, if that's something they even do, but would hate to go through the trouble to find it didn't make enough of a difference (maybe my head is just getting soft in my old age!). Thanks in advance!

IMG_5723.jpg

The BBB strap will do a lot more than 30 grams. I can wear them for hours straight :)

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #5,855 of 6,196
For me it's about the combinations:

Stock mesh with Caldera Ultra Perf pads

OR

Radial Mesh with Universe pads

These are the best two combinations I've found. Joint first place if you will, each offering a different but yummy flavour.
Yep, Radial/Uni — doubleplusgood. Listening to Plenue II mk2 (opt out) ==> Hugo 2 ==> Atrium w/ that pad/mesh combo. Great synergy between H2 & Atrium.

@walterboss — read ‘Pink Moon’ and immediately fired up my Nick playlist.

@zach915m — fvk me but those Zebrawoods are gorgeous!

After a good dose of Nick, switched to a ‘faves’ playlist — Atrium never stumbles across a wide range of genre.

I was thinking about the ‘TOTL Disappointments kerfuffle’. I guess from the outside we might seem like a cult.

It’s hard to convey the overall pleasure my ZMFs provide without sounding like a fanboi. Between the looks and the sound, they’re so satisfying — I guess it’s the ’Goldilocks’ thing.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #5,856 of 6,196
Yep, Radial/Uni — doubleplusgood. Listening to Plenue II mk2 (opt out) ==> Hugo 2 ==> Atrium w/ that pad/mesh combo. Great synergy between H2 & Atrium.

@walterboss — read ‘Pink Moon’ and immediately fired up my Nick playlist.

@zach915m — fvk me but those Zebrawoods are gorgeous!

After a good dose of Nick, switched to a ‘faves’ playlist — Atrium never stumbles across a wide range of genre.

I was thinking about the ‘TOTL Disappointments kerfuffle’. I guess from the outside we might seem like a cult.

It’s hard to convey the overall pleasure my ZMFs provide without sounding like a fanboi. Between the looks and the sound, they’re so satisfying — I guess it’s the’Goldilocks’ thing.
‘Panic in Detroit’ just swung by — outstanding presentation!

RIP db, miss you. Black Star is an amazing record … his Grand Finale.

Mar 4, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #5,857 of 6,196
I have joined the ranks of Atrium owners. These might look a little familiar as they were another head-fiers set. Such beauties!

IMG_2494.jpeg
IMG_2495.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpeg

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #5,858 of 6,196
I have joined the ranks of Atrium owners. These might look a little familiar as they were another head-fiers set. Such beauties!

IMG_2494.jpegIMG_2495.jpegIMG_2496.jpeg

That's an insanely good looking set! Congrats and enjoy the hell out of them :D

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #5,859 of 6,196
That's an insanely good looking set! Congrats and enjoy the hell out of them :D

I agree! Really was looking for the right ones to pop up before I made the leap!

Only a few hours of listening today, but I really did enjoy the hell out of them.

Despite the weight of these things, they are really comfortable!

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #5,861 of 6,196

Some live Neil Young with Atrium is a pretty sweet combination. Getting some great spatial effects with this album, "like I'm there" almost.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #5,862 of 6,196
Glad you like em. Those are some heavy bois indeed!

Thank you again, sir! Mighty fine headphones I acquired from you. My wife was quite enamored by their looks, too.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #5,864 of 6,196
just absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you! I agree. It’s not all that often a gorgeous pair go up on the classified, so I had to snatch it up. I’m listening right now at 11:45 at night and just am really enjoying the heck out of them that I don’t want to go to sleep.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #5,865 of 6,196
Thank you! I agree. It’s not all that often a gorgeous pair go up on the classified, so I had to snatch it up. I’m listening right now at 11:45 at night and just am really enjoying the heck out of them that I don’t want to go to sleep.
Ah, so you went Atrium! That set looks amazing, too - congrats! Was just listening to mine the last few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back