ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #5,086 of 6,368
Looking to pickup my first pair of ZMF next month during the sale. Wondering if anyone had any input on which model I should consider most? I'm looking for something to compliment my HE1000 Stealth when I'm in the mood for a different experience, so maybe something warmer with less detail? I'd really like a bright resin/burl set, do they offer that on all models during the sale or does that limit my choices?

Thanks!

If you want "the most" opposite to your HE1000 Stealth, then just go to Atrium. However, if you can't test any ZMFs before make a purchase, Verite Open or Caldera will be a safer bet.

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #5,087 of 6,368
Looking to pickup my first pair of ZMF next month during the sale. Wondering if anyone had any input on which model I should consider most? I'm looking for something to compliment my HE1000 Stealth when I'm in the mood for a different experience, so maybe something warmer with less detail? I'd really like a bright resin/burl set, do they offer that on all models during the sale or does that limit my choices?

Thanks!
I would suggest the Atrium closed or the Atticus as being the ZMF most different to what the HE1000 brings to the table.
If you want to stick to open backs, then I would suggest the Atrium open or Aeolus.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #5,088 of 6,368
I have tested the Atrium with the Caldera Ultra Perforated pads for a couple of days now, and I concur that they are great sounding pads for the Atrium! They are definitely in my top 2 pads for the Atrium now. I'm still a bit torn between them and the Universe Leather pads though.

While I think the Ultra Perforated pads beat the Universe Leather pads in imaging, clarity and overall tonal balance, the Universe pads give the Atrium a bit more bass, which makes the music maybe a bit more immersive to me. The immersive quality of the Atrium has been one of the main things that makes the Atrium different from my Caldera and Susvara, and the Ultra Perforated pads shift the Atrium a bit towards those two drier sounding headphones.

So I think the Ultra Perforated pads would probably be my pads of choice, if I only owned the Atrium. But since I also own the Caldera and the Susvara, I might go back to the Universe Leather pads.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #5,089 of 6,368
I have tested the Atrium with the Caldera Ultra Perforated pads for a couple of days now, and I concur that they are great sounding pads for the Atrium! They are definitely in my top 2 pads for the Atrium now. I'm still a bit torn between them and the Universe Leather pads though.

While I think the Ultra Perforated pads beat the Universe Leather pads in imaging, clarity and overall tonal balance, the Universe pads give the Atrium a bit more bass, which makes the music maybe a bit more immersive to me. The immersive quality of the Atrium has been one of the main things that makes the Atrium different from my Caldera and Susvara, and the Ultra Perforated pads shift the Atrium a bit towards those two drier sounding headphones.

So I think the Ultra Perforated pads would probably be my pads of choice, if I only owned the Atrium. But since I also own the Caldera and the Susvara, I might go back to the Universe Leather pads.
Agreed. And Zach has stated in here that the Ultra Perforated pads DO reduce the bass. And that is why even though they are technically Caldera pads, he doesn’t even recommend them for the Caldera. That’s why they’re not even in the earpad drop menu for Caldera pad choices if you buy the Caldera.

Oct 6, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #5,090 of 6,368
Agreed. And Zach has stated in here that the Ultra Perforated pads DO reduce the bass. And that is why even though they are technically Caldera pads, he doesn’t even recommend them for the Caldera. That’s why they’re not even in the earpad drop menu for Caldera pad choices if you buy the Caldera.
He does recommend them for the Atrium unless you're talking about something different. I'm probably misinterpreting...
Zach' "
I would probably suggest the Caldera Ultra Perf first and then the BE2 and then the Verite for most people - the camp that likes the Verite pads is small, but those who love them really love them! The Verite pad takes the ear super close to the driver as the pad is very thing in the z-axis which does bring up the upper mids and flatten peaks in the sound, so they are more frontal, and smoother all at the same time.

Tuning headphones with pads that have little to no depth like a Verite pad is easier because the ear is very close to the source/driver. The trick is getting that sound to work with both a narrow/thin pad and a pad with lots of space; which I believe is all necessary because of the many shapes and forms of the human anatomy. It's important to remember that what works for each of us, may not necessarly work or be interpreted the same way by someone else because we are all so different.

I would recommend anyone who hasn't tried the Caldera Ultra Perf on Atrium to give it a try."

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #5,091 of 6,368
He does recommend them for the Atrium unless you're talking about something different. I'm probably misinterpreting...
Zach' "
I would probably suggest the Caldera Ultra Perf first and then the BE2 and then the Verite for most people - the camp that likes the Verite pads is small, but those who love them really love them! The Verite pad takes the ear super close to the driver as the pad is very thing in the z-axis which does bring up the upper mids and flatten peaks in the sound, so they are more frontal, and smoother all at the same time.

Tuning headphones with pads that have little to no depth like a Verite pad is easier because the ear is very close to the source/driver. The trick is getting that sound to work with both a narrow/thin pad and a pad with lots of space; which I believe is all necessary because of the many shapes and forms of the human anatomy. It's important to remember that what works for each of us, may not necessarly work or be interpreted the same way by someone else because we are all so different.

I would recommend anyone who hasn't tried the Caldera Ultra Perf on Atrium to give it a try."
You are correct about the Atrium. I said he doesn’t recommend them for the Caldera.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #5,092 of 6,368
Oct 8, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #5,093 of 6,368
I am planning to buy dynamic headphones for my feliks audio euforia evo amplifier. I am thinking between zmf atrium and focal utopia 2022. what do you think?
I play games, watch movies, videos, stream, listen to music in all genres. so you need an all-rounder multimedia sound.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #5,094 of 6,368
I am planning to buy dynamic headphones for my feliks audio euforia evo amplifier. I am thinking between zmf atrium and focal utopia 2022. what do you think?
I play games, watch movies, videos, stream, listen to music in all genres. so you need an all-rounder multimedia sound.
It really depends on what type of sound you enjoy and how much you value things like soundstage, tone, and timbre.

Also, if you discover you like the sound of a beryllium driver, you may want to consider checking out the Verite as well. I feel like it can do what the Utopia can do, but without the harshness and small soundstage.

Oct 8, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #5,095 of 6,368
It really depends on what type of sound you enjoy and how much you value things like soundstage, tone, and timbre.

Also, if you discover you like the sound of a beryllium driver, you may want to consider checking out the Verite as well. I feel like it can do what the Utopia can do, but without the harshness and small soundstage.
what is the difference between verite and atrium?

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #5,096 of 6,368
There are quite a few differences, but because sound is so subjective, I’ll just give the very basics. First of all, they’re tuned differently. The Atrium has more prominent mids, slightly more mid bass, and less treble sparkle. They also use completely different drivers.

The Atrium uses a biocellulose driver and the Verite uses a modified Beryllium driver that was invented by Zach. I suggested this model to you because the Utopia uses a pure Beryllium driver. Beryllium has inherent properties that affect its performance. For example, they are very fast drivers due its stiffness. Hope that helps!

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #5,097 of 6,368
For an all rounder I would consider the Atriums no doubt. Excellent tonality and even frequency response from top to bottom. Huge stage, good across all genres, maybe except hard hitting electronic music. That's where I liked Verite Closed better. More impactful bass and overall speed. On the other hand I think Atrium excels at vocals more than the verite. Verite Closed at least (not heard the open version) has a dip in the midrange and can sound a little dark and muffled for the first min or two until you adjust to the sound but everything else is a roller coaster of emotions with it. So I say if you want a headphone that surprises you with every listen get the VC. If you want something more balanced and safe across everything, get the Atriums. You can't go wrong with either really if you don't have anything else to compare with. Simply put, if you have both, you will prefer one over the other for different things but when you end up with just one, either one, it's the perfect one

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #5,098 of 6,368
I've owned both and heard them at the same time from the same gear. Beyond the tuning differences noted by @Hifiearspeakers, here are some other points of comparison:

The Atrium's resolution is very good but a step behind the Vérité's. It’s perfectly acceptable, though – I didn’t feel as though I was missing out on anything – and, besides, the Atrium’s resolution almost doesn’t matter in that what sets these headphones apart is the engaging and pleasant overall experience they offer.

The Atrium isn’t as fast as the Vérité. There’s a softer way of presenting music. Part of this is the biocellulose driver. The Atrium has a slightly more gentle, rounded attack to the transient response than the Vérité, which is cleaner and snappier. Both headphones have lovely decay, though, with the Atrium I get the sense that notes linger for longer.

Macrodynamics are strong without being as dramatic as the Vérité’s. They’re perfectly satisfying, though.

The Vérité offers better, more precise imaging, with instrument localization being nice and specific. The Atrium, by contrast, is a tiny bit less distinct. Separation and layering also go to the Vérité but they’re still very good with the Atrium. There’s plenty of air and space around instruments and the overall presentation is entirely free of congestion.

Oct 8, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #5,099 of 6,368
I've owned both and heard them at the same time from the same gear. Beyond the tuning differences noted by @Hifiearspeakers, here are some other points of comparison:

The Atrium's resolution is very good but a step behind the Vérité's. It’s perfectly acceptable, though – I didn’t feel as though I was missing out on anything – and, besides, the Atrium’s resolution almost doesn’t matter in that what sets these headphones apart is the engaging and pleasant overall experience they offer.

The Atrium isn’t as fast as the Vérité. There’s a softer way of presenting music. Part of this is the biocellulose driver. The Atrium has a slightly more gentle, rounded attack to the transient response than the Vérité, which is cleaner and snappier. Both headphones have lovely decay, though, with the Atrium I get the sense that notes linger for longer.

Macrodynamics are strong without being as dramatic as the Vérité’s. They’re perfectly satisfying, though.

The Vérité offers better, more precise imaging, with instrument localization being nice and specific. The Atrium, by contrast, is a tiny bit less distinct. Separation and layering also go to the Vérité but they’re still very good with the Atrium. There’s plenty of air and space around instruments and the overall presentation is entirely free of congestion.
And to complicate things further, you have the issue of pad rolling which I believe the atrium is affected more. I don’t think you can go wrong with either model. I listened extensively to the Atrium ( mine) and the Utopia 2022 on the DCS stack and for me the Atrium was my preference. The Verite less so but I remember the intensity, attack and decay, that’s why I chose the Atriums for my type of music. If I was a gamer I may have chosen Verite, since I have Atrium’s I probably would load my Verite pads for gaming. I’m all in with Caldera ultra perf for music. Next Caldera and Verite closed or Atrium closed.

Oct 8, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #5,100 of 6,368
A few things I'll add that haven't been touched on:
  • The Atrium is more forgiving to poorly recorded/mastered music compared to the Verite. Just ask @Monsterzero about listening to some 80's metal albums.
  • The Atrium seems to pair well overall with a large range of gear. I've found the Vertie can be a little more picky to achieve great synergy, but when they do, it's bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back