ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Oct 4, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #5,071 of 6,515
In order to mentally prepare for next month.

What are the two best pad options for
- Atrium open
- Atrium closed
- Caldera

Or 4 best options on case we get an Atrium open & closed bundle similar to the Verite one of last year
I always go with the stock pads first, let the unit burn in, then get used to how the stock pads sound after burn in. if you're still not satisfied after burn in, then try new pads as needed.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #5,072 of 6,515
I always go with the stock pads first, let the unit burn in, then get used to how the stock pads sound after burn in. if you're still not satisfied after burn in, then try new pads as needed.
Yeah but I have to select the other pads during checkout already
So I have to decide upfront which pads to choose.
If I order 2 headphones (open & closed) it would be 4 pads even

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #5,073 of 6,515
Yeah but I have to select the other pads during checkout already
So I have to decide upfront which pads to choose.
If I order 2 headphones (open & closed) it would be 4 pads even
Based on your preference for bass and affinity for the Empyrean/Elite, you should choose the Universe perforated leather and Auteur perforated leather.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #5,074 of 6,515
Based on your preference for bass and affinity for the Empyrean/Elite, you should choose the Universe perforated leather and Auteur perforated leather.

Agree on this (For Atrium Open).

To add pad suggestion for Caldera, opt to Caldera Thick as the alternative pad. Personally the standard caldera pad is the best, but I can see the appeal for Thick.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #5,075 of 6,515
Thank you

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #5,076 of 6,515
Looking to pickup my first pair of ZMF next month during the sale. Wondering if anyone had any input on which model I should consider most? I'm looking for something to compliment my HE1000 Stealth when I'm in the mood for a different experience, so maybe something warmer with less detail? I'd really like a bright resin/burl set, do they offer that on all models during the sale or does that limit my choices?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #5,077 of 6,515
In order to mentally prepare for next month.

What are the two best pad options for
- Atrium open
- Atrium closed
- Caldera

Or 4 best options on case we get an Atrium open & closed bundle similar to the Verite one of last year

For Atrium Open my favorite pads are the Auteur lamb perforated and Caldera Ultra Perforated followed by BE2 suede for that vocal clarity and linear sound. I think everyone should at least have the stock Universe lamb pads too. They didn't float my boat as much when I first got them but with burn-in they've been growing on me. I've also tried Auteur hybrid, Eikon suede and Verite lamb and they all work well too, but they get much less use.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #5,079 of 6,515
Looking to pickup my first pair of ZMF next month during the sale. Wondering if anyone had any input on which model I should consider most? I'm looking for something to compliment my HE1000 Stealth when I'm in the mood for a different experience, so maybe something warmer with less detail? I'd really like a bright resin/burl set, do they offer that on all models during the sale or does that limit my choices?

Thanks!
Aeolus or Auteur Classic (or Atticus if closed-back?) might be your jam if you want something a bit more chilled out. Of those I have the Classic and with the right pads (I'd say either Eikon Suede or Auteur Hybrid) it has a really nice smooth warm-neutral tilt and it's detailed but won't cram those details down your throat. It's also recommended as a good starter ZMF to kinda ease into their sound (I like to think of it as the ZMF gateway drug).

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #5,080 of 6,515
It's interesting to me how many people like the Auteur Pads with the Atrium. I have tried the Auteur leather and hybrid. I always prefer the Universe options over the Auteur.

To those who like the Auteur pads, what do they bring to the sound that make them standout? What am I missing.
To my ears, they make the soundstage larger, especially in width, they slightly reduce the upper mids/lower treble, and add a little bit more mid bass quantity. Don’t get me wrong, I like both pads, but the Auteur pads are perfect for my preferences.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #5,081 of 6,515
It's interesting to me how many people like the Auteur Pads with the Atrium. I have tried the Auteur leather and hybrid. I always prefer the Universe options over the Auteur.

To those who like the Auteur pads, what do they bring to the sound that make them standout? What am I missing.

I get a little bit better bass response and a slightly more uniform soundstage with more depth compared to Universe. They're also a little bit smoother to my ears right around 5KHz. Everyone's anatomy and HRTF are different too so that might be why we hear slight differences, combine that with different gear etc.

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #5,082 of 6,515

The Auteur vs Universe pads preference has come up quite a lot since the AO's release. Here's what I said about it last month:

I've talked about it before, but I believe due to the pad angle/shape difference between the Universe/Auteur pads, HRTF comes into play with these more than most other pads.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #5,083 of 6,515
Oct 5, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #5,084 of 6,515
What am I missing.
There's no reason to think you're missing out on anything when you already heard both options. We are not here to convince anyone that one is better than the other as it's always subjective. I prefer the Auteur pad's less upfront upper mid and a slightly more prominent mid bass. It is also deeper and a better fit for my ears. But I use the universe pads for over a year before making that switch. Preference can change over time.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #5,085 of 6,515
I agree. It's also too easy to overthink stuff. None of the pads will make the headphone suddenly sound like something else. It's about finding that sweet-spot, and I think completely stock or one or two of the recommended pads will get you to that sweet-spot. For me, the Caldera Ultra Perf gets me right where I want it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back