ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Oct 4, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #5,056 of 6,514
Been playing around with various pad combos with the solid titan mesh.

Firstly I have to say that I love what the solid mesh does to the sound. After trying no mesh and finding that the layering of the sound lost its definition I went in the opposite direction. I have the radial vented mesh and the stock vented (of course). I enjoyed the stock for how I perceived the layering and depth. Solid takes that up a notch, which I love. I tried stacking the solid and stock mesh togethernout of curiosity.... too much... listening to Alanis Morrisette, suddenly the guitars came way too forward. Solid mesh is the sweet spot for me.

Then I swapped between universe leather and caldera ultra perf pads. Up to this point I had always preferred the universe. I could always hear what the caldera was doing, but I felt a loss of stage size that always kept me going back to the universe. But now I think the solid mesh and caldera pad combo is a winner. Very little (if any) loss of stage, mids are better controlled and seem better resolved, an increased crispness to the tones where the Universe pads can sometimes come across smoothed off.
Your feedback is very interesting because I also have difficulty choosing between the Universe and ultra perf caldera. there is always a compromise to be made between the vocal presence, unrivaled with the universe, and the soundstage and its details, better rendered with the ultra perf. If this mesh reconciles the two it would be perfect. Not too complicated to change the mesh?

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #5,057 of 6,514
Your feedback is very interesting because I also have difficulty choosing between the Universe and ultra perf caldera. there is always a compromise to be made between the vocal presence, unrivaled with the universe, and the soundstage and its details, better rendered with the ultra perf. If this mesh reconciles the two it would be perfect. Not too complicated to change the mesh?
Very very easy... and there's a demo video on ZMF YouTube to help... but really it's so easy the video is not necessary. Just go gently and never exert too much force when removing and reinserting the screws.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #5,058 of 6,514
That's an obvious lie if I ever saw one 😅
I swear I don't need a pair of the Caldera's...I'm not going to look at what they have to offer....Ahhhh what could it hurt to just look 🤣😂

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #5,059 of 6,514
I swear I don't need a pair of the Caldera's...I'm not going to look at what they have to offer....Ahhhh what could it hurt to just look 🤣😂
I don't NEED a pair of Calderas either but I sure WANT one....

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #5,061 of 6,514
Oct 4, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #5,062 of 6,514
I also don't need an Atrium, but of all ZMFs I hope for a nice Atrium closed the most.
I have had my Atrium opens for almost a year now..They are one of the best purchases I've made..Zero buyers remorse and they get better with time.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #5,063 of 6,514
I have had my Atrium opens for almost a year now..They are one of the best purchases I've made..Zero buyers remorse and they get better with time.
I'm just afraid, that if I start with ZMFs it will end up like with Mezes... and it gets very expensive to collect them.

I did like both Atriums and the Caldera.
Wish I had auditioned the rest as well...

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #5,064 of 6,514
I'm just afraid, that if I start with ZMFs it will end up like with Mezes... and it gets very expensive to collect them.

I did like both Atriums and the Caldera.
Wish I had auditioned the rest as well...
Then, once you have them, you see new limited or one-offs of those same models that you like better! 🫠

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #5,065 of 6,514
Then, once you have them, you see new limited or one-offs of those same models that you like better! 🫠
Actually that's the main reason I didn't buy any yet and probably that will change when the custom orders start to become available

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #5,067 of 6,514
ZMFs are like Pokemon, gotta catch em all! Who needs retirement, right?
Zach has truly mastered the art of FOMO when it comes to headphones.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #5,068 of 6,514
True, but the Meze linited Editions aren't much better in that regard... at least they are not unique one off units

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #5,069 of 6,514
Amen! Every time I see the new limited units announced I have to force myself to repeat "I DO NOT NEED TWO OF THE SAME MODEL". If he came up with an interchangeable cup system I think he'd make even more $$$ as all us lunatics.... I mean fans would buy them all. I know i'd have one of each wood, I'm insane.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #5,070 of 6,514
In order to mentally prepare for next month.

What are the two best pad options for
- Atrium open
- Atrium closed
- Caldera

Or 4 best options on case we get an Atrium open & closed bundle similar to the Verite one of last year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back