ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 4, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #4,501 of 6,238
Just switched over to the Auteur pad that came with my Atrium after a year exclusively on Universe pads. Totally different presentation from what I'm used to with the Atrium. The larger cavity does seem to create a bit more space between my ears and the drivers. Difference in staging is most apparent. Auteur pads makes it more upfront with vocals but provide a slightly more 3d presentation than the universe pads. They also seem to have a bit more mid bass in my experience. Still trying to get used to the new presentation so will likely stay with these for a few weeks before switching back for comparison.
I agree on all points. Both pads are awesome. I love having the option to switch them out for a slightly different sounds based on my moods.

May 5, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #4,502 of 6,238
Sooo the eagle has landed and is now a member of the Atrium clan.
What I wanted to ask is is there anyone who ordered the aluminium chassis by chance and could show a picture of whether it was black matt or painted?
I ordered aluminium and I'm not sure if it's painted aluminium or if it's magnesium and maybe there was a mistake in the production.

Otherwise, I am very impressed with the look.
I like it very much.
I had a big smile on my face when I opened the package in front of the Fedex guy.
Since customs had opened it, I had to make sure everything was okay before I handed over the customs fees to the driver.

I'll write about the whole experience with Fedex from the US to Europe later.
And I can also give you some general help so that this doesn't turn into a nightmare for us Europeans.

The first impression of the sound is of course breathtaking compared to the Auteur Og, but it is a bit more of everything.
I've already heard a few older tracks and have to agree with you on how analogue it sounds.
The pads are the Universe leather on it.
I also chose the Auteur and Caldera ultra perf.
The latter was a personal recommendation from Zach himself over the Be2.
I also ordered the Lektrik C copper cable in a coffee gold finish and it looks great together.
I will take some better pictures the next days.
The Bocote is generally a great eye-catcher.
When I left the room and came back in, I thought oh wow.

20230505_121333.jpeg
20230505_122021.jpeg
20230505_122035.jpeg
20230505_121450.jpeg

May 5, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #4,503 of 6,238
What I wanted to ask is is there anyone who ordered the aluminium chassis by chance and could show a picture of whether it was black matt or painted?
I ordered aluminium and I'm not sure if it's painted aluminium or if it's magnesium and maybe there was a mistake in the production.

I like it very much.
I had a big smile on my face when I opened the package in front of the Fedex guy.
Since customs had opened it, I had to make sure everything was okay before I handed over the customs fees to the driver.

And I can also give you some general help so that this doesn't turn into a nightmare for us Europeans.

The first impression of the sound is of course breathtaking compared to the Auteur Og, but it is a bit more of everything.
I've already heard a few older tracks and have to agree with you on how analogue it sounds.
I also ordered the Lektrik C copper cable in a coffee gold finish and it looks great together.

20230505_121333.jpeg20230505_122021.jpeg20230505_122035.jpeg20230505_121450.jpeg
Beautiful! Congrats!

May 5, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #4,504 of 6,238

I like it very much.

20230505_121333.jpeg20230505_122021.jpeg20230505_122035.jpeg20230505_121450.jpeg
Love the grain on those! You got a killer set there, enjoy!

May 5, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #4,505 of 6,238
Love the grain on those! You got a killer set there, enjoy!
Thank you,🙏 yes, I'm quite taken with the look.
I'm curious to see what it's like when the Atrium is installed.
I've done the first hour and I'm flashed.
You can still hear a few unclean things here and there, but everything is quite normal, nothing that should worry you.

He has already found his place.
That, too, is to fall in love with.
Salire from Bloodwood, Auteur Og Ambrosia Maple and the Bocote.

20230505_190257.jpeg

May 5, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,506 of 6,238

I like it very much.

Beautiful pair!

I just realised Lektrik C in coffee finish, really looks like ZMF 2K.

May 5, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #4,507 of 6,238

I like it very much.

That's a beautiful set! Congrats! The copper cloth with the copper grill goes so well.

May 5, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #4,508 of 6,238

I like it very much.

Love how the cable perfectly matches the headphone aesthetic. Gorgeous. Welcome to team AO!!

May 5, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #4,509 of 6,238
Beautiful pair!

I just realised Lektrik C in coffee finish, really looks like ZMF 2K.
Exactly, I thought it was the 2K cable until I read otherwise.

May 6, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #4,510 of 6,238
Thank you for the thumbs up guys, very nice of you.

About the cable, it is indeed the Lektrik C, I really wanted a copper cable, although Zach recommended a silver cable.
As for the look of the cable,I wanted it sleeved in navy blue,but Zmf was a bit particular about that.
But I'm not angry about it at all, in retrospect I can see that it's perfect the way it is.
It really brings the colours into harmony and the coffee gold look adds a soft accent.

As I sit here writing, I've just finished the second session with the atrium.
It's incredibly analogue, compared to the Auteur Og, my ears are just melting, although it still sounds slightly dirty because it's new.( It could be from the cable though).
I also think the decay on the Bocote is a little less than the Auteur with the Ambrosia maple, but it's still pretty much in balance.
Because the Atrium seems to penetrate much deeper into the music with a certain refinement.The Auteur Og seems from memory to reveal rather more and a little less refined.
I'm looking forward to hearing more, currently the Universe pads are on it, where you still have to get used to them.
They still seem a bit claustrophobic for me at first, but I think that will change.

Visually still flashed after hours, could hardly wait to get home from work to look at it.
Comfort is also incredibly good, I like the new headband that Zach has installed, it sits very well on the head and doesn't bother me at all at the moment.

The chain is Gustard R26 and Feliks Euforia with 7236 Tungsol's and 6SN7 Brimar Gty.

May 6, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #4,511 of 6,238
Thank you for the thumbs up guys, very nice of you.

About the cable, it is indeed the Lektrik C, I really wanted a copper cable, although Zach recommended a silver cable.
As for the look of the cable,I wanted it sleeved in navy blue,but Zmf was a bit particular about that.
But I'm not angry about it at all, in retrospect I can see that it's perfect the way it is.
It really brings the colours into harmony and the coffee gold look adds a soft accent.

As I sit here writing, I've just finished the second session with the atrium.
It's incredibly analogue, compared to the Auteur Og, my ears are just melting, although it still sounds slightly dirty because it's new.( It could be from the cable though).
I also think the decay on the Bocote is a little less than the Auteur with the Ambrosia maple, but it's still pretty much in balance.
Because the Atrium seems to penetrate much deeper into the music with a certain refinement.The Auteur Og seems from memory to reveal rather more and a little less refined.
I'm looking forward to hearing more, currently the Universe pads are on it, where you still have to get used to them.
They still seem a bit claustrophobic for me at first, but I think that will change.

Visually still flashed after hours, could hardly wait to get home from work to look at it.
Comfort is also incredibly good, I like the new headband that Zach has installed, it sits very well on the head and doesn't bother me at all at the moment.

The chain is Gustard R26 and Feliks Euforia with 7236 Tungsol's and 6SN7 Brimar Gty.

Your reservations are exactly what I'd expect before things have run in. The bit of dirt will go away, and as things loosen up you will get more low level detail (which you may not hear directly, but affects the quality of the sound including tonality). Be aware that cables can also need to run in - despite the physics theory and what some folks say, I personally have experienced this.

The low level detail matter is well discussed by Arthur Salvatore, better than I can put it but here goes. An amp may be working at say 1 watt and measures perfectly there; bur what really matters for highest quality sound is what's happening, at the same time, at say 60dB below this level. It could possibly explain why test measurements of amps often do not agree with subjective assessment. How many testers run an amp at high power and simultaneously check it out at -60dB? None!
The amp I now use for speakers is the best sounding I've ever had; superb tone, fabulous vocals, but also good dynamics and very fast clean leading edges. It is also the worst measuring amp I have ever had; parallel single ended 45 giving just over 3 watts, SNR not that great, I expect a fair bit of distortion at over 1 watt, bandwidth somewhat limited by the OPTs; any cheap solid state amp measures much better on all counts.

You have a really nice system there and gorgeous looking phones; enjoy!

May 6, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4,512 of 6,238
Few days in with Auteur pads and it has been quite an interesting experience definitely not something I was expecting in a positive way. There's noticeably more bass bloom with these than the universe pad which is likely attributed to the slightly more mid bass presence I'm hearing. By far the biggest difference is the way midrange is presented. It's noticeably fuller and there's more body to the way it renders vocals, more so than the universe Atrium and my BE2 VO and the added euphony over the universe pads is interesting. Comfort on these is better for my ears perhaps owing to a slightly bigger cavity.
I agree on all points. Both pads are awesome. I love having the option to switch them out for a slightly different sounds based on my moods.
Pad rolling is legit and have a bigger impact on overall tone than tube rolling. I might even be tempted to add a suede or hybrid pad somewhere down the line to experiment.

May 6, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,513 of 6,238
… Pad rolling is legit and have a bigger impact on overall tone than tube rolling. I might even be tempted to add a suede or hybrid pad somewhere down the line to experiment.
It Depends says ‘Hold my beer’.

The most extreme tube rolls in my Liquid Platinum (Siemens CCa ==> Brimar CV-2492) produce tonality and headstage differences which exceed any I can produce with pad rolls (without going to pads which aren’t intended for use w/ Auteur or Atrium).

May 7, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #4,514 of 6,238
It Depends says ‘Hold my beer’.

The most extreme tube rolls in my Liquid Platinum (Siemens CCa ==> Brimar CV-2492) produce tonality and headstage differences which exceed any I can produce with pad rolls (without going to pads which aren’t intended for use w/ Auteur or Atrium).
I like your choice of valves but do try CV2493 (Mullard, often also labelled E88CC-01); I'd say it's significantly better than CV2492 even though only one digit different.
Expensive, not that easy to find, but to me definitely the best of the 6922 family, and the only one of this family I ever use.

I also agree about tube rolling.

May 7, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #4,515 of 6,238
Phew, after 30 hours of burn-in, something has already happened.
And you can still use the good piece and experience goosebump moments.
The thing is already a monster, although I thought about changing the pads I left the universe on.

Although the first 2 days the universe seemed a bit claustrophobic when I put it on, I seem to be getting used to it.
I think it's because the universe play so well and my brain subconsciously makes that compromise.

I only notice the unclean passages very little and they are less frequent than at the beginning.
So it will.
What's really hard is to take it out of your head, you still want to listen to a song and suddenly 1-2 hours have passed.

Some better picture:
20230507_170644.jpg

20230507_170649.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back